Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
Make: Honda
ECU: Hondata
Send a message via AIM to keitht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeshow View Post
Looking great. Well done Keith.

Do you have a better picture of you air filter arrangment? I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how im going to squeeze one in.
Thanks very much, Glad to be back on track with the thread. I should have more regular updates going forward and some interesting upgrades over winter.

These aren't the best photos but hopefully you get the idea, I just fitted a tight 90 silicone bend at the TB then a suitable K&N. The clearance to the Clutch master was tight but the upward angle of the bend gave enough clearance.

keitht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #452
Dopeshow

Thanks keith, this was the only way i could see anyhting fitting in. Ive gone with the Hydraulic realease bearing so was going to use a standard Mini master, but to gain more space for the ait filter I will have to buy a master with a remote mount reservoir.

Thanks again, the photos are a big help.
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #453
jsouroufis

ECU: Neptune RTP

Keitht, nice to see this build come to an end! Good job!

As a friendly note, Allspeed and negative offset wheels do not play along..watch out as it can be very dangerous, the car will pull where it wants.
Despite any tracking and corner weight, which definitely help, the frame has it's limitations. An LSD will also magnify the situation-can't remember if you have one fitted though.
jsouroufis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #454
keitht

Quote:
Thanks keith, this was the only way i could see anyhting fitting in. Ive gone with the Hydraulic realease bearing so was going to use a standard Mini master, but to gain more space for the ait filter I will have to buy a master with a remote mount reservoir.

Thanks again, the photos are a big help.
I used a hydraulic release bearing on another one of my cars but had the space for the standard Honda one here. This is a Honda Master with remote reservoir, I'm sure the Mini one could be modified. Its all down to the ratio between the 2. Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouroufis View Post
Keitht, nice to see this build come to an end! Good job!

As a friendly note, Allspeed and negative offset wheels do not play along..watch out as it can be very dangerous, the car will pull where it wants.
Despite any tracking and corner weight, which definitely help, the frame has it's limitations. An LSD will also magnify the situation-can't remember if you have one fitted though.
Its far from the end.

I have come to learn this, I've spent the last 6 months working on the handling and the wheels have been changed. I'm using the factory LSD. Have you done much work in relation to this issue?
Old 19-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #455
jsouroufis

Although I've not gone extreme to experiment with metro hubs, custom arms etc like a few folks have to compensate/fix the limitations of Mini suspension in high power applications, I've spent countless hours with a couple of Mini gurus, setting the tracking, geometry etc.

In my case, when I first built the car, I had some 13x6 ET +33. The car was going very straight, minimal force from the steering wheel and handled quite good considering the power and Honda LSD.

Changed to 13x6 ET +10 and basically destroyed everything. Testing after testing and numerous settings later, we could only make the car go well under perfect road conditions..otherwise it was all over the place.

Went back to my old 13x6 ET +33 and instantly cured everything.

Now I'm on 12x5 ET28. The handle very similar to the ET33's -maybe a tad harder on the steering wheel, nothing very noticeable- but due to the higher profile of the rubber, the are somewhat more comfortable on the road.

Have a read here as well:
http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37660

Best of luck!
Old 19-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #456
keitht

Quote:
Although I've not gone extreme to experiment with metro hubs, custom arms etc like a few folks have to compensate/fix the limitations of Mini suspension in high power applications, I've spent countless hours with a couple of Mini gurus, setting the tracking, geometry etc.

In my case, when I first built the car, I had some 13x6 ET +33. The car was going very straight, minimal force from the steering wheel and handled quite good considering the power and Honda LSD.

Changed to 13x6 ET +10 and basically destroyed everything. Testing after testing and numerous settings later, we could only make the car go well under perfect road conditions..otherwise it was all over the place.

Went back to my old 13x6 ET +33 and instantly cured everything.

Now I'm on 12x5 ET28. The handle very similar to the ET33's -maybe a tad harder on the steering wheel, nothing very noticeable- but due to the higher profile of the rubber, the are somewhat more comfortable on the road.

Have a read here as well:
http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37660

Best of luck!
Thanks very much for the info, I'm curently running 13x6 +10 and it is miles better than the original -7's I had fitted but still not great, I've spent a lot of time on the tracking which has also helped, The car is now driveable but I wouldn't trust it under hard acceleration. I'm also running a corsa EPS. What Castor angle do you run? Thanks again.
Old 19-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #457
jsouroufis

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
Thanks very much for the info, I'm curently running 13x6 +10 and it is miles better than the original -7's I had fitted but still not great, I've spent a lot of time on the tracking which has also helped, The car is now driveable but I wouldn't trust it under hard acceleration. I'm also running a corsa EPS. What Castor angle do you run? Thanks again.
Yes, an EPS will help with the steering effort but as you imagine, it just masks the real problem.

Not quite remember the exact number but it was just little bit above 4 degrees.
In fact, It was close to max the allspeed tie rods could give.
Old 19-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #458
keitht

Quote:
Yes, an EPS will help with the steering effort but as you imagine, it just masks the real problem.

Not quite remember the exact number but it was just little bit above 4 degrees.
In fact, It was close to max the allspeed tie rods could give.
I havn't been using the EPS recently for this exact reason, I want to bottom out the issue.

Mine is about the same, 4.2 each side. Thanks for your help.
Old 19-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #459
keitht

With the car back on its wheels and all the main components fitted it was time to take it home from Eddies Body Shop.

Old 20-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #460
Dopeshow

Love the look you have created Keith.

Interesting points about the torque steer issues. I have always been aware of this and I didnt mind if the car to is a handfull to drive, but listening to people, fitting 13x7 takes it beyond a handfull to drive, would it be fair to say it's downright dangerous ??
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #461
GEORDIE SP1

CC: 1800
ECU: Standard

I run deep dish for 4 years and tried several different set ups.
It was fine on A roads most of the time but you still had to hold on tight under hard acceleration.
Throw in a B road with a few bumps and you will have a few moments when you pull into the side of the road and think about your Family.
Thatís why I sold my big bikes and why Iím now running + ET wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GEORDIE SP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #462
keitht

Quote:
Love the look you have created Keith.

Interesting points about the torque steer issues. I have always been aware of this and I didnt mind if the car to is a handfull to drive, but listening to people, fitting 13x7 takes it beyond a handfull to drive, would it be fair to say it's downright dangerous ??
Thanks very much, I'm very happy how it has turned out.

I've driven the car for about 12 months on 13x7 -7, It started off completely undriveable, after a lot of work tracking and corner weighting it became somewhat better but couldn't use full revs and Vtec was a no-go unless it was a completely flat and dry road. I have since changed to 13x6 +10 and it is much better but is still a problem I am working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
I run deep dish for 4 years and tried several different set ups.
It was fine on A roads most of the time but you still had to hold on tight under hard acceleration.
Throw in a B road with a few bumps and you will have a few moments when you pull into the side of the road and think about your Family.
Thatís why I sold my big bikes and why Iím now running + ET wheels.

I have changed from -7 to +10 recently which has helped a lot, What offset are you running?
Old 21-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #463
GEORDIE SP1

Iím now on +28 ET, still 7Ē by 13, not been far in it yet as need to change the rubber donuts and set the bump steer

Old 22-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #464
250ptm

Subframe: Other
CC: 1600
ECU: odb1

Geordie, Where did you get them, who makes them? am looking for a big + offset too but haven't found anything suitable yet. Are they still 101.6 pcd ?

Last edited by 250ptm; 22-09-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: pcd
250ptm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #465
GEORDIE SP1

I have went to 4-100, Machined the hubs, bigger studs etc.
Think the wheels were on a Renault twingo sport before, off EBay.