16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat > Newbie Forum

Old 22-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
16VG

Default Hi All.. Iím here to learn

Iím in the military and currently stationed in Italy. Iíd like to buy mini (latest year I could bring is a Ď93) and take it back with me in the US this year. Iím here to learn whatís the most ideal, cost effective but functional, and most of all driveable swap on these minis.

Thanks and Iím happy to be here
16VG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Birdman

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VG View Post
Iím in the military and currently stationed in Italy. Iíd like to buy mini (latest year I could bring is a Ď93) and take it back with me in the US this year. Iím here to learn whatís the most ideal, cost effective but functional, and most of all driveable swap on these minis.

Thanks and Iím happy to be here
To be honest you cannot get most of the engines we use here in UK in the States like K series , Vauxhalls etc. Most of the US based guys ago for Honda D series for a fun fast car, Honda B series for faster mini and Honda K Series for totally crazy. All of these swaps have full subframe kits made in the US by companies like MTB, Superfast Minis etc. You can even go 4 wheel drive if you want , so there you go really.
Old 22-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard

As stated, you need to find out what you will be allowed to take into the USA. People have struggled as much with the paperwork side of this as the physical conversion it'self.

The most popular conversion is the Rover K series. These can be seen at most Mini events. Honda, Vauxhall and Suzuki are all possible too.

The problem with all these will be getting parts. Most of the subframe suppliers are based on the UK fittings of these engines. The mounts used are the UK version. You may find the conversion will end up costing a fortune due to having parts delivered to Italy.

What will the car be used for? You need to choose wisely here as you can build a track Mini that is no use on the road.