16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Non Mini Builds

Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
evolotion

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1400
Make: Rover
ECU: Megasquirt

I dont know if it helps, but fiat doblos 02-08ish with the 1.9 diesel have hydro power steering pumps, located on a big bracket under the alternator, if you find your current location isnt working for you.

Denis.
evolotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #17
M J W J

CC: 1796
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolotion View Post
I dont know if it helps, but fiat doblos 02-08ish with the 1.9 diesel have hydro power steering pumps, located on a big bracket under the alternator, if you find your current location isnt working for you.
Yeah I realised after going to all the effort of making the bracket that the same engine was used in various Fiats. A few minutes of googling later and I found that I could have possibly used the pump from a punto or similar.

The bracket I made has put the pump in a location that matches the pipes and is suited to the Astra rack so at least I don't have that head ache to worry about.

I did look at mounting it on the back of the engine but the oil cooler is in the way of where it would need to go and if I had moved it further back to clear the oil cooler I would have run into drive shaft and steering arm clearance issues.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
Pikey

CC: 2.0

That's the most complicated list I've ever seen. Good build though, interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
M J W J

Aim: Get the car to the point where it only needs the wheels bolted on by Sunday night.

Result: Yeah... That didn't happen.

The weekend started with me painting the bracket for the drive shaft.

After splitting the gearbox from the engine, the engine was lifted in place the gearbox slid under the wing and reattached. With the help of my dad (and engine crane) we lifted it into place and slid the k frame underneath.

The O/S engine mount is an issue that needs solving.

It turns out the Internet lied to me. I knew that Saab front struts wouldn't just bolt in place as the top mounts are different however it isn't just as simple as swapping the top mounts over. The astra strut tops don't fit the Saab springs and the astra springs don't seat correctly on the struts. A quick Google later showed me that while a lot of people claim you just have to swap the strut tops over, no-one seams to have actually done it. I did find one person asking what springs to use as the astra ones didn't fit and there was no definitive answer to the problem. For those who want to know this is the combination.

(from left to right: Saab bump stop, then it should be the Saab rubber seat which is missing in the photo, Saab metal ring thing, Saab bearing, Astra bearing, Astra strut top, Saab top Nut.

Apologies for the poor photos but it was dark by the time I managed to get the struts all back together.

A big thanks to my mate Whit who helped me get the struts apart.

Once I've figured out the issue with the engine mount I might actually be able to get it back down on its wheels.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #20
M J W J

This project stalled a bit and I haven't got round to posting any updates but due to a change in circumstances I now find myself with some time on my hands to do some work on it.

On another subject, if anyone is looking to hire a Mechanical Engineer, please send me a PM.

Not a lot to show but this will get me up to date before I start doing a lot more on this over the next week.

First of all a big thanks to my dad for doing some of the necessary machining work I needed on the engine mount. Unfortunately I had to go back and do more machining on it and I have had to fit it in around my dad who is building a 3 and 1/2" Gauge William Steam Loco.

It took numerous attempts to get it right and but after fitting and removing the thing about a dozen times I have managed to get it and the bolts that hold it to the engine to clear the chassis rail.

I then proceeded to modify the Saab engine mount in order to get it to clear the engine (sorry no photos). After using some cardboard I determined the best option to build the O/S engine mount. The project stalled at this point as my TIG welder packed up on me so I can't finish welding it.

The welder is being collected Tomorrow (Monday) so hopefully when it is returned/replaced I can finish the welding and bolt the engine in properly. I would love to fit the drive shafts and suspension now but the engine has to have the mounts fitted to it and then lowered into position. I would therefore have to remove the shafts again to lift the engine back up to fit the engine mounts hence why I am holding off on fitting the shafts and suspension.

One small job I have managed to get done in the mean time was to remove the remains of the track rod from the suspension strut. After a hell of a lot of filling (all done by hand I will add), I managed to weaken what was left of the track rod end so that I could knock it out using a centre punch.

Due to fitting rear Saab brakes a different handbrake cable was required. A Saab 9-3 or 900 cable does not work as I learnt so had to buy an Astra GSI cable. Sorry for the poor photos.

I've learnt today that I have fitted the left and right hand side in the wrong guides in the exhaust tunnel so I will need to correct this.

Friday I got my Toyo R1 Proxes mounted to my 15" Vauxhall Cavalier steel rims. I bought some tacky 15" wheel trims as well to go with them which will be cable tied in place.

Only the best disguised as the s***est for my astra.

I know quite a few people who all seam to be annoyed that I am not doing anything about the paint, but the faded paint is staying!

I also done a few other small things such as fit the starter motor, fit all the bolts between the engine and gearbox and modified a water pipe so that it clears the power steering pump.

In the next couple of days I hope to finish off the exhaust which I'v started.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
gouldy847

Location: Bielefeld Germay, Oswestry (ish) Measham Derbyshire
Subframe: Other
CC: 1800
ECU: MEMS I THINK

Mate, I love this Build!! Faded paint and all! I don't like owt to look to perfect(Hence my own build) id rather them be driven than be pampered!
gouldy847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #22
M J W J

Spent the last couple of days building an exhaust for the car.

Apart from an exhaust hanger classing the entire down pipe fits the car perfectly. Even the Vectra C gearbox to exhaust mount fits which is quite amazing as it was from an F40 gearbox yet fits the FM55 B14 one now in the astra.

The centre silencer didn't fit in its original position however by turning it on its side it just fits in the tunnel. The rest of the exhaust was made by cutting and welding pieces of the Vectra exhaust so that it went up and over the Astra's rear axle. Finally it connects into the rear muffler which is from a Zafira B 1.9 CDTI. I didn't use the Vectra's due to the design and due to not fitting in the available space.

Once my TIG welder is back from being repaired I will fully weld it and install it on the car.

Before I fully install the exhaust it is a good opportunity to fit the tow bar I have for Astra. With the demise of my Vectra I also lost my tow car. While I don't need anything capable of towing a ridiculous amount, being able to tow my dads small box trailer so I can move things around that won't fit in the boot is useful. The tow bar is actually from my original Astra. Before fitting it I have decided to clean it up and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Finally while I was at the scrap yard getting parts for a friend this week it occurred to me that I could simply use a Saab 9-3/900 clutch pipe to connect the master cylinder and slave cylinder together so I grabbed the one out of the Saab they had in the yard. This has saved me the cost of purchasing all the fittings required to make up the clutch line and it already has all the bends in the right place.

I just need to sort out the master cylinder reservoir. I have a small motorcycle one for this which I just need to mount. That will be tomorrows job.
Old 14-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
MiniLandy

ECU: Megajolt

Well pleased to see this project back on. The towbar just adds to it, get yourself a Caravan Club sticker for the rear window
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #24
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
ECU: dizzy/webers

will the motor bike resivair hold enuff fluid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #25
M J W J

Its been a while but finally I am able to make progress on this.

After getting my TIG Welder back last week I have made the modifications I needed to the engine mount and gave it a lovely coat of silver paint. I could then fit it and have the engine finally sitting on its mounts.

It is tight around the engine mount but I can just move the engine a little and it doesn't come into contact with anything.

With the engine sitting in its final position I then turned my attention to getting the front suspension and drive shafts in.

I haven't dropped the car fully down onto its wheels as I still need to fit the O/S/F suspension and fit the exhaust which is easier to do with the car up on the blocks of wood shown.

One small job I did was fix the swirl flaps. This is a common issue with these engines and there are kits out there to sort the problem out.

Getting my TIG welder back has allowed me to sort a load of things out on the car so hopefully there will be quite a few more updates over the following weeks.

Last edited by M J W J; 30-05-2017 at 08:18 PM.
M J W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
M J W J

It might be sitting a bit high at the front and I don't think it will settle to the height I want it to forcing me to buy lowering springs but... WOOOO WHOOO! It's on its wheels.

Years of research and planning have paid off. Only one custom engine mount and a bearing support had to be fabricated. The rest is all sourced from the GM parts bin.

Does anyone know how to set up a Saab 900/9-3 Gear linkage properly?
Old 30-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #27
MiniLandy

ECU: Megajolt

MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #28
M J W J

Small update.

As its been raining I have spent the afternoon looking at the wiring. I'm hoping people might be able to help with the couple of issues I have as well.

The pile on the right is what has been removed. The pile on the left is what is left and needs to be connected up to the Astra. This unfortunately only represents the wiring that goes underneath the dash.

I've made a start on the wiring in the engine bay as well. This doesn't seam quite so bad as it is split up into two different looms. One that has all the engine sensors connected to it so can be left alone and the other that mainly has the lights in it. I just need to remove them leaving the radiator fans, air con pump and boost controller wiring.

The wiring diagrams in modern Haynes manuals are nowhere near as good as they used to be. My Vectra one seams to be missing loads of sections in it meaning I haven't figured out everything I need to. If anyone has or knows where I can get full wiring diagrams for a Vectra C please let me know.

Issues I still have to figure out:

Airbag light wiring (the body control unit will need a signal from the Astra's air bag module)
Air conditioning (need to be able to turn the air con pump on and off by either going through the body control module or directly)
Speed (while bypassing the ABS pump)

Other main issue is sourcing a filler neck for a mk3 Astra diesel hatchback or saloon (estates are different). The car was original petrol so the filler neck is narrower not allowing a diesel pump nozzle to fit in it. I thought it would be easy to find one but no-one seams to have one.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #29
M J W J

Damm you photobucket! Damm you.

I've done quite a bit of the wiring etc on this car but with photobucket going down and screwing up every build thread I have across 3 different forums I'll be honest I couldn't be a**ed to take any photos or post on any forum.

I just sold a banger racer I built and as a friend of mine from overseas has helped me to build it I decided I would bite the bullet and re-upload everything to IMGUR and re-post it.

This has actually given me some enthusiasm to start posting about the Astra again.

As I said I didn't take any photos of the work I've done but I did take some just before Photobucket royally f***ed everything up.

My Exhaust. I had it all tacked together under the car and it all fitted fine so removed it and TIG welded it all together.

Not the pretties or neatest but hey, it was practice... and proof that this project isn't dead.

Hopefully I will post more up now.

I've had a change in heart on the radiator setup so am awaiting some parts. All will be revealed once they have arrived.

Last edited by M J W J; 08-08-2017 at 12:02 PM.
M J W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #30
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

BIGGEST. PHOTOS. EVER !

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun

Last edited by Oz; 07-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote