16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Vauxhall Builds

Old 09-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #46
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Fantastic progress , you may want to make the pair running upward bolt on maybe same as you mention front cross bar being,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #47
Pikey

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Looks good and quick progress. You have the benefit of many pics available of XE frames that work, but worth dangling the engine above the frame now and then to see what areas might clash. Keep up the good work.

I take it you will fit an extended front? I think with the std mini subby towers ( not the Allspeed ones) you have to work very hard to get the engine and everything under a std length front.

Yeah I've been browsing through all the Builds for a while and making sure of it before I cut! Yeah I had a quick dangle but that all was needed too see it was quite a way off! Umm well I've got the clubman front, but I can see that I may have to extend the bumper on the bottom, I'm thinking one of those front spoiler things to make it look a bit meaner.

Cheers for the comments birdman
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #48
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Fantastic progress , you may want to make the pair running upward bolt on maybe same as you mention front cross bar being,

Cheers Ardon, I was thinking about this actually, but I'm not sure how strong it would be, I think I would be more comfortable blasting it with weld
When I undoubtedly come to remaking a part of the frame I will deffo consider it.

Cheers, pike
Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #49
ardonfast

Don't get me wrong, I ain't built 1 but I've had the pleasure of watching others
From the comfert of my cigar burnt leather chair,
Haveing said that thers no point in evolving without improvements based on others mistakes,
Did you think of cam belt change with ease or gearbox removel?
I beleve that guset bars are stopping the front of frame wanting to move up and down, some ain't used any at all so I think 2 lumps of wood sello taped ther would jar it up ,lol (exsample) lol
Nice bit of 3 sided box would slip over and hold tight with 2 bolts with internal
Tube to stop it crushing would do,
Just chat realy it's yours and allways intresting, just something to look at.

Last edited by ardonfast; 09-10-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #50
Pikey

Cheers Ardon, that's a lot too think about. Good point about the belt cover and gearbox changes etc, would be a bitch to work on! As it goes these are only tacked on so can still be moved around etc, will definitely think about making removable thiugh as this would help loads!! My only worry is if it would compromise strength at all? Or stability?

Cheers pike
Old 09-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #51
ardonfast

It's all good, how do you feel it works?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #52
Pikey

Quote:
It's all good, how do you feel it works?
im not too sure, i wouldnt know if i would trust a framee thats essentially bolted together. i dont mind the odd brace bar being bolted on but im mucjhj happier seeing it mostly welded together if that makes sense??

bit of an update tonight..

followed birdmans advice, and before starting anything dropped (tried) the engine into the frame, and took measurements and then made a list of everywhere i could see it fouls.

big changes needed here

also my engine hoist has a design fault. it doesnt drop down quite low enough, so made a frame for the subframe out of old tyres, and tacked it on to keep it stable

the list of things to change was:
removable brace bar on front
remove material from passenger tower
adjust both brace bars.

i removed the material first, then cracked on with thje removable brace bar

started by tacking in bracing to stop the frame from moving

after abit of messing around with angles and holes and broken drills i finally came up with this

once this was on, i thought melons it im gonna drop the engine back in... so here goes... IT FITS!!!!

so yes admittedly it isnt on mounts, and the engine is resting on tyres, and tilts forward too much, the passenger brace bar from tower to tie bar isnt actually welded on, but the engine fits in near enough where i need it to be and that makes me happy

tomorrows job will be to make the mounts, but from what thickness steel??

any comments welcome,

cheers pike
Old 11-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #53
Baldingbeast

Brilliant.. Nothing like the feeling of building something yourself that actually works. Well done. My engine mounts were at least 3mm thick. Hard to tell now as they are powder coated. They came with loads of shims, which I asked about. I was told they are to fit between the mounts and the engine to get it perfectly level. Why that is important I don't know!! But if someone has gone to the lengths of making shims then I guess there must be a good reason.
Baldingbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #54
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
Make: Rover
ECU: Megajolt

That Saab gearbox looks a fair bit bigger than the Vauxhall item, causing some problems. Mind you don't overcompensate and have the engine sitting miles over to the drivers side of the engine bay, it'll make a mess of the weight distribution and you'll spin up the passenger side front wheel.

Frame's progressing well, if your mounts are braced properly then 3mm steel should be plenty thick enough.
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #55
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldingbeast View Post
Brilliant.. Nothing like the feeling of building something yourself that actually works. Well done. My engine mounts were at least 3mm thick. Hard to tell now as they are powder coated. They came with loads of shims, which I asked about. I was told they are to fit between the mounts and the engine to get it perfectly level. Why that is important I don't know!! But if someone has gone to the lengths of making shims then I guess there must be a good reason.
cheers yeh really happy with how its come out! i have 4mm plate lying around so thatll do the job nicely
yeah i suppose there must be a reason for them somewhere? maybe to compensate so as the mount wears you can shim it up to keep using it?

cheers for the reply,

pike
Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLandy View Post
That Saab gearbox looks a fair bit bigger than the Vauxhall item, causing some problems. Mind you don't overcompensate and have the engine sitting miles over to the drivers side of the engine bay, it'll make a mess of the weight distribution and you'll spin up the passenger side front wheel.

Frame's progressing well, if your mounts are braced properly then 3mm steel should be plenty thick enough.

yeah i think the box is a bit bigger but ill work with it

i was thinking that, so trying to position it over the passenger side more, to get some more weight on that side.

a lot easier to say im gonna do that than to actually do it though

as i said i have 4mm lying around so thatll do.

cheer for the comments,

pike
Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #57
ardonfast

your trucking on there pike,,
these frames aint easy are they? ive moned about the price of them in the past
but as always im reconsidering my thoughts
as for bolting it came to me that roll cages are bolted and lots of other things are to such as engine cranes arnt even bolted just throw in pins,
even 5 ton hi,hab crane mounts we have bolted to lorry chassi,
looking at this are you sure its easyer doing it on the floor out of car??
defo just a qwestion???
you sure you don't want to bolt the frame on the car with the big bolts in and the 2 floor mounts inplace just to see the engine clearance??
im sure that the back engine mount under inlet ports will all but give engine
posission, once you no the datum you can fill in the gaps?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #58
Pikey

Quote:
your trucking on there pike,,
these frames aint easy are they? ive moned about the price of them in the past
but as always im reconsidering my thoughts
as for bolting it came to me that roll cages are bolted and lots of other things are to such as engine cranes arnt even bolted just throw in pins,
even 5 ton hi,hab crane mounts we have bolted to lorry chassi,
looking at this are you sure its easyer doing it on the floor out of car??
defo just a qwestion???
you sure you don't want to bolt the frame on the car with the big bolts in and the 2 floor mounts inplace just to see the engine clearance??
im sure that the back engine mount under inlet ports will all but give engine
posission, once you no the datum you can fill in the gaps?
no it seemed easier when thinking about it!
yeah i suppose, never thought about it like that.
yeah as soon as i get the mounts made, ill tack the mounts to the subframe, then bolt half the unmade mount onto the engine, and tack it all up.

that makes sense in my head not sure if it will to others haha!

cheers, pike
Old 22-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #59
Pikey

Bit of an update, made a start on the engine mounts, and these are proving to be much more difficult than first imagined!!!!!

The one on the left side of the block was pretty straightforward, and looks like this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413965971.024325.jpg

Then came the gearbox side. You can't see it in the pictures, but the 3 mounts for this bracket are actually all 'sticking out' at different levels, and will require some kind of tubing behind it to pack it out. Got on with the mount and ended up with something like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413966052.925513.jpg

Which then turned into this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413966081.654679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413966102.562116.jpg

Won't actually get time to fit this tonight, but over the weekend I'm hoping to have this engine bolted in at least by the front two mounts.

Cheers pike
Old 22-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #60
Birdman

ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Bit of an update, made a start on the engine mounts, and these are proving to be much more difficult than first imagined!!!!!

The one on the left side of the block was pretty straightforward, and looks like this Attachment 7509

Then came the gearbox side. You can't see it in the pictures, but the 3 mounts for this bracket are actually all 'sticking out' at different levels, and will require some kind of tubing behind it to pack it out. Got on with the mount and ended up with something like this
Attachment 7510

Which then turned into this
Attachment 7511
Attachment 7512

Won't actually get time to fit this tonight, but over the weekend I'm hoping to have this engine bolted in at least by the front two mounts.

Cheers pike
Will you be using the rover V8 type cotton reel mounts that many of us XE boys use? If you are, try to set the mounts angled. This is the way that they work on a V8 (in compression). So sort of looking at the engine and box side on, try to build in up to 45 degree angle. You want to be able to use the torque of the XE without it trying to exit the frame. Some have just mounted the cotton reals flat, but to my mind they wont last long or work properly ( like jelly on a plate and there's the loading on braking to think about as well).

I have had no noticeable engine movement at all with the mounts angled and I should know as I have v little room around my engine with lots of stuff surrounding it.