Cheers mate! Hahaha Now that would be a good idea! Rally cross 16v mini racing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #167
Pikey

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2.0
Make: Vauxhall

Been a while, been a hectic few weeks with work and life so not much time on the car unfortunately.

so, bought myself another retro car. mercedes 190e

anyway back to the mini, wasnt happy with the quarter panels, so bought new ones, re tubbed them and done a proper job. much happier now, and will cost less to have it sprayed as less prep work. also got my little to paint the cage. will need a few coats.

thats about it really, fitted new rev counter so my main dash cluster is finished. just need to tuck all the wiring away nicely. also got the doors hanging on hinges, so its all coming together slowly.

pike
Old 13-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #168
Pikey

bit more of an update...

fitted the boot lid, he;ll of a pain transferring all the holes over. still havent done the number plate light, looking for a tidier solution, dont like the mk3/4 plastic one i have, want something smaller and neater. fits not perfect but not bad for fibreglass..

so then made a start on my front brace bars. i want them coming off my shock moiunts, as thats the strongest point up in that region,so i made a plate to cover the hole in the original, also stiffens it up to no end.

then got some 38mm CDS tubing bent up at 70 degrees, cut down to size and welded on

made a nice beefy platform for it all to bolt onto the front end of the subframe. nice beefy mounts all round, no chance of these shearing off. also ties in the corner nicely, very happy with how it all came out.

finished article

happy with how its turned out. just got the otherside to do now!

pike
Old 18-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #169
Pikey

right so been plodding on with car slowly.

got the front end mounted properly, and also the fibreglass a panels on. fit up is pretty good, and once painted will be acceptable. the front end is held on with dzus fittings, which are a bloody good creation.

the door gaps are also pretty good too, considering fibreglass fit ups are normally appaling!

so then came the next problem, the lap belts on my 4 point harnesses couldnt be bolted into existing holes, as they had been plated over for roll cage feet, and the seats have been moved back to allow room for driver. so i bought some of these weld on mounts, got some more 45mm cds tubing and made a harness bar, but down below. welding in poisition on your back in a mini is always a struggle, but happpy with these welds!

fibreglass roof and front splitter have also turned up! roof is an excellent fit, credit to abs awesome again. just need to prep the roof, apply the bonding solution to it and ratchet strap it down!! the stuff im using i got from work, we use it for bonding ceramic tiles onto coal chutes, can litro stick bananas to a shovel, so roof wont come flying off!

cheers,

pike
Old 25-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #170
Pikey

finally got round to finishing my lower harness bar. welded the 4 lugs in, bolted it up and then welded up the back half of the bolt in brackets that secure it place.

bolted in the car before painting it. also welded the custom cages logo in the middle of it, looks pretty cool

i also fitted the front splitter i got from abs. its only loosely fitted in place and held onm with 2 bolts atm, it kept falling over so have stuck it on the car just to keep it somewhere secure!

tomorrow gonna finish touching up the interior paint work, before finally fitting the roof (hopefully) should be a laugh.

pike
Old 30-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #171
Pikey

harness bar painted and installed.

seats back in, harnesses bolted up and working great. ive prepped the roof ready for bonding on, just waiting for some small ratchet straps so i can secure it down in place whilst the boning sets. i decided to wire in my auxillary gauges, got a volt gauge, fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge. i wired them in, then decided to tidy the rest of the loom up, colour coded everything so i can remove it and know where it all goes back.

pike
Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #172
Pikey

finished all the rest of the dash stuff off today.

cover for the left hand dash hole, for access to fuse box etc etc, the switch panel for lights hazards etc etc, and a little piece with sponge backing which goes across the fuse board panels to eliminate play with the wire connections.

also made some drawings for my fuel sender adapter plate. gonna have to make this plate from 8mm aluminium, tap the 5 holes, then weld this onto the top of my fuel tank. drill a 44mm hole through and through, and the fuel sender will bolt through without the need for captive nuts etc inside. as my tank came fully welded up with no sender, this was the only solution. (i could think of)

also finished prepping the roof. more prep than what it looks like, but tomorrow its getting stuck on for the last time. fingers crossed all goes well.

pike
Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #173
Pikey

right so finally got the roof fitted! its currecntly ratchet strapped down until the bonding stuff sets. hope it stays on

also knocked up some t pieces out of ali for my demist hoses. my heater is a on/off kit car type heater tucked up out of the way by the passengers feet. its got 2.5" outlet, which some flex heater ducting takes to the first t piece, which branch off to the windscreen demist. all runs through on off switch on my switchboard. ali welding is also coming along

also finished the wiring of the gauges. all light up lovely, it does annoy me slightly that the rev counter is different coulour to speedo but will have to do for now

tomorrows job will be the the fuel gauge system, then were not far off looking at body work! looking to have her on the road by easter if all goes well.

pike
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #174
Pikey

some pics off the roof with the straps off. super happy with how it came out

money shot of the beast

pike
Old 06-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #175
NudgerSS

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
ECU: MBE 967EF

Coming on well, keep at it 👍

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
NudgerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #176
Pikey

cheers nudger!

finished the plate for the fuel sender location

then emptied the tank best i could, but its full of foam for baffling so was squeeky bum time welding it up, luckily nothing went bang!

then set the length on the arm, fitted the sender unit in, all nipped down looking good.

tank strapped in with ratchet straps. ordered some 10x10mm ali quare tube, so i can tap it and weld them onto the tank as some lugs to keep the fuel lines and filter secured against the tank.

the list of jobs is slowly getting smaller. one day..

pike
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #177
Pikey

fitted the bonnet. the gaps arent perfect but will do, with a rubber edging strip and a 20mm lift at the back, will look great.

another job off the list! am having problems fitting my wiper motor though and the mechanism, may have to resort to redrilling the holes 10mm further towards the front of the car, looking at a single wiper conversion but need to take some further measurements. 2 steps forward 1 step back...

pike
Old 13-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #178
Pikey

finally sorted the problem of the wipers. ended up welding up all 4 hole, then drilling another 4. i located my wiper motor to sit outside the bulkhead in the inner wing. its nice and tucked up and out of the way, looks pretty neat. i drilled the spare holes on the same plane as the original holes as it didnt look right without them. there will be a grommet put in them.

i also started fitting the arches today so i can crack on with bodywork. took me 2 hours to fit one arch. will hopefully get abit more done tomorrow.

pike
Old 17-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #179
Pikey

got some pics of the fitted arch.

this is a pic after i lowered the car, and spaced the wheel out. looks much better now and fills the arch more. i want it lower again, but will have to buy some shorter springs as these are the lowest they will go. the wheel could also be spaced out another 10mm or so. looks much better though

so then i masked off the back end, stripped all the paint off and gave it a coat of etch primer.

then started on the passenger side of the car. finding it easier to do the car in sections than try to do it all at once. soon as my high build primer arrives i can give it a few coats of that and see how she looks. hopefully wont need much filling work and can get the final coat on soon so the car can be rebuilt.

cheers,

pike
Old 23-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #180
Pikey

stripped the passenger side of the car down to bare metal, then applied etch primer

in between coats got round to fitting the front arches. fit straight on unlike the rears

then gave the side of the car and rear a couple of coats of high build, and a few coats of top coat to see how she was looking

really happy with how it came out. few places need a bit more putty filler work but overall its looking good. the front end + arches + doors + boot lid are also in high build, will have a few coats of top coat tomorrow to see how they are looking.

i also rigged up a new washer bottle as i misplaced the original. ended up using a budweiser bottle. cause melons it

am hoping to have the whole car in top coat by the end of the weekend, ready for final rub down + final spraying.

pike