16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Vauxhall Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Question New project... C16XE or C20XE?

Hi guys this is my first post.. after spending silly amounts of money on my 1275 mini it is still slow as hell so I have decided to go for it and do a conversion. I am swayed toward the redtop considering the amount of work that will be going into it anyway I might aswel!

I have done a few Xe conversions into novas and corsas but never into a rover mini! Just wondering before I start if you could give me a heads up on anything I may come across or struggle with
Pluss any parts you would recommend getting aswell..
So far I have;
A mini
4pot brakes
Coilovers
And a friend willing to sell me his C20xe on the conditions I fit in my mini

Cheers guys any advice appreciated,
Craig
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopRio View Post
Hi guys this is my first post.. after spending silly amounts of money on my 1275 mini it is still slow as hell so I have decided to go for it and do a conversion. I am swayed toward the redtop considering the amount of work that will be going into it anyway I might aswel!

I have done a few Xe conversions into novas and corsas but never into a rover mini! Just wondering before I start if you could give me a heads up on anything I may come across or struggle with
Pluss any parts you would recommend getting aswell..
So far I have;
A mini
4pot brakes
Coilovers
And a friend willing to sell me his C20xe on the conditions I fit in my mini

Cheers guys any advice appreciated,
Craig
Conversion Subframe and drive shafts. Carbs or ITBS etc...
Have a read of the build diaries in Vauxhall builds and look through the stickies in Vauxhall chat
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Conversion Subframe and drive shafts. Carbs or ITBS etc...
Have a read of the build diaries in Vauxhall builds and look through the stickies in Vauxhall chat
Sweet I'll have a good look around going to be a month or so before I get cracking (waiting for tax to run out ) so gives me plenty of time to read around, do they have to be specific conversion shafts? Obviously I'll keep you all posted on progress (or lack of)
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
ardonfast
Senior Member
 
ardonfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dunkeswell airfeald devon
Posts: 7,831
Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers
Default

hi redtoprio,
as birdman says,, thers lots to read and lern, i wish i had did as advised.
i was alwredy commited to 20xe before i found this forum,
i must admit if i had been hear first and studied all the choices properly i would have taken a diferant road,[im not starting a engine choice debate]
its just the best advice i can give!! get your boots full thers loads of real intresting stuff hear,
__________________
"yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
hi redtoprio,
as birdman says,, thers lots to read and lern, i wish i had did as advised.
i was alwredy commited to 20xe before i found this forum,
i must admit if i had been hear first and studied all the choices properly i would have taken a diferant road,[im not starting a engine choice debate]
its just the best advice i can give!! get your boots full thers loads of real intresting stuff hear,
why can't we start an engine debate? Haha I am pretty certain on a redtop but if it is a 1.6 or below cant you keep the original front end instead of getting an extended fibre glass one? Or is that only true with the 8v se?
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopRio View Post
Sweet I'll have a good look around going to be a month or so before I get cracking (waiting for tax to run out ) so gives me plenty of time to read around, do they have to be specific conversion shafts? Obviously I'll keep you all posted on progress (or lack of)
Yes you will need either cut n shut shafts or billet shafts from the subframe supplier. Suggest you look at Allspeed site , unless you are going to make your own subframe:

http://allspeedengineering.com/

Oh and XE rocks. Get straight in there with 2 litres of fun
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
ardonfast
Senior Member
 
ardonfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dunkeswell airfeald devon
Posts: 7,831
Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers
Default

well we can,, its your thred,, thers kind of a unriten code of conduct hear and this has been coverd lots of times in history,,
let me tell you im no exspert on the workings of the forum, but seeings you want to know i cant see a problem, some one who no,s more about the polatics will hopefully advice you,
__________________
"yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Yes you will need either cut n shut shafts or billet shafts from the subframe supplier. Suggest you look at Allspeed site , unless you are going to make your own subframe:

allspeedengineering

Oh and XE rocks. Get straight in there with 2 litres of fun
Cheers bud just had a quick look on my phone, shafts don't come cheap do they! Looking to spend less than that on the motor.. obviously before a rebuild. . I've been advised to re sleeve them is this something I have to go about doing myself or can you buy them made. . Obviously I will be looking round but just trying to harvest as much info as I can before I go and become mr Lloyds tsb's best buddy!
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopRio View Post
Cheers bud just had a quick look on my phone, shafts don't come cheap do they! Looking to spend less than that on the motor.. obviously before a rebuild. . I've been advised to re sleeve them is this something I have to go about doing myself or can you buy them made. . Obviously I will be looking round but just trying to harvest as much info as I can before I go and become mr Lloyds tsb's best buddy!
Yeah the cheaper option is to get a set of xe shafts and mini shafts. Chop them to the required lengths and have a sleeve made to join them and weld them up. Sounds easy, but your best off getting an Engineering firm to do this for you. Sadly there were a few good persons on here doing shafts, but I think they have all stopped now. If you do buy the Allspeed shafts, you can have there special bigger CV joints, which fit mini hubs ( they are a machined down Vaux outer CV joint of some description).

Start a build diary and include some details of spec for your project. I've done my xe the hard way, but for little dosh. The downside is that it takes years this way, but I enjoy the engineering work..
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Yeah the cheaper option is to get a set of xe shafts and mini shafts. Chop them to the required lengths and have a sleeve made to join them and weld them up. Sounds easy, but your best off getting an Engineering firm to do this for you. Sadly there were a few good persons on here doing shafts, but I think they have all stopped now. If you do buy the Allspeed shafts, you can have there special bigger CV joints, which fit mini hubs ( they are a machined down Vaux outer CV joint of some description).

Start a build diary and include some details of spec for your project. I've done my xe the hard way, but for little dosh. The downside is that it takes years this way, but I enjoy the engineering work..
Thanks birdman will probably go for the welding option tbf but watch it end up costing more anyway and then getting grapesed up so I have to buy allspeed ones anyway! :L will definitely look into it so I would have the outer of the mini shaft welded to the inner of the vaux shaft? Will definitely get a thread on the go when progress is started.. I'm sure you all dont want to see it how it is! And as well mate is there anywhere that sells the extended fibreglass front ends? I woild like a GT one seems the front ends going in the bin.. and love the look of the Gt's
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopRio View Post
Thanks birdman will probably go for the welding option tbf but watch it end up costing more anyway and then getting grapesed up so I have to buy allspeed ones anyway! :L will definitely look into it so I would have the outer of the mini shaft welded to the inner of the vaux shaft? Will definitely get a thread on the go when progress is started.. I'm sure you all dont want to see it how it is! And as well mate is there anywhere that sells the extended fibreglass front ends? I woild like a GT one seems the front ends going in the bin.. and love the look of the Gt's
Yes ABS do all f glass and composite parts and they are on this forum with a slight discount for members. If it's a Clubman front, I don't think you need it to be extended.
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Here: http://absmotorsport.co.uk/
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
RedtopRio
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 20
Make: Vauxhall
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Cheers bud will have a look when I get back to digs for the night, it isn't currently a clubman front but if you can gey them fibreglass then would much prefer it to a round nose
RedtopRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Birdman
Senior Member
 
Birdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chessington, Surrey
Posts: 5,462
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtopRio View Post
Cheers bud will have a look when I get back to digs for the night, it isn't currently a clubman front but if you can gey them fibreglass then would much prefer it to a round nose
Both types available, or make yourself a removable steel front if you want.
__________________
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
(use Irish accent)
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
F.P.E
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 108
Default

Welcome to the site matey, where abouts in merseyside are you from? I'm chester way but building a few xe's for lads your direction that's all. Won't go wrong with the 20xe, don't need much spending on them to make them quick.
F.P.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
c20xe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.