16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #181
gadget555
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Strichen Aberdeenshire
Posts: 1,338
Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race
Default

NIce
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #182
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Mot passed on the second attempt today. So that's it taxed, insured and motd.

Bloody scary to drive, I'm paranoid about every wee noise and the slight drip of transmission fluid from the diff output seal produces an obscene amount of smoke, but I'll do some refinements before the massive drive
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #183
apbellamy
Senior Member
 
apbellamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,996
ECU: SC Typhoon
Default

Good skills. What did they pull it on?
__________________
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
seat mounting should not be taken lightly, nor should a rat trying to get up your trouser leg doing 50,m,p,h, all of a suden your nUts become more important,
apbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #184
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Insufficient rear braking, adjusted the shoes till they were dragging and trebled the brakes. then tightened handbrake cable and it's sorted
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #185
apbellamy
Senior Member
 
apbellamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,996
ECU: SC Typhoon
Default

Nice easy fix then. I had to do a drive test with the tester in my car as the LSD would have broken their rollers
__________________
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
seat mounting should not be taken lightly, nor should a rat trying to get up your trouser leg doing 50,m,p,h, all of a suden your nUts become more important,
apbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #186
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

So, I rocked up for my mot at 9am. Had an advisory for slight play on the nsf front wheel bearing, and a fail for the rear brakes not recording much effort.

So, I got about 0.5 mile from the mot station and lost all drive. Thankfully, someone stopped and towed me home. I realised that the drive shaft had popped out of the diff slightly.

Basically, vibrations from nsf hub nut being loose.

I tightened it all up and reinserted the shaft,and all good.

Back brakes just needed some adjustment.

Retest also passed this morning





richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #187
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Thanks guys, tracking sorted today and that's changed it from being bloody scary, into bring a very nice drive



Unfortunately I'm still having issues with the driveshafts popping out of the diff, and I'm losing all the gearbox oil in the process. I don't have time to look at it, so going to take it into a trusted local motor engineers and get them to take the shafts out and see what's up with it
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #188
InstantCustard
Senior Member
 
InstantCustard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whitworth, Lancashire
Posts: 5,876
Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
Make: Rover
ECU: Emerald K6
Default

There's a little circlip type clip at the end of the driveshaft that keeps it in place, is that there/in good order?
Also could be worn diff bearings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnard View Post
couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #189
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Thanks for that. I guess that I'll need to see what happens tomorrow then
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #190
getthewheelsinline
Senior Member
 
getthewheelsinline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: kilmarnock, Scotland.
Posts: 205
Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Standard
Send a message via MSN to getthewheelsinline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie08 View Post
Thanks guys, tracking sorted today and that's changed it from being bloody scary, into bring a very nice drive

Unfortunately I'm still having issues with the driveshafts popping out of the diff, and I'm losing all the gearbox oil in the process. I don't have time to look at it, so going to take it into a trusted local motor engineers and get them to take the shafts out and see what's up with it

Where did you get the tracking down in the end?

I had the same problem with my Allspeed billet shafts into the inner cv's. As they had laid about a while the shaft had attached itself to the inner cv so it restricted the shaft movement on the cv splines. Took a good run to free everything up. As above ensure the circlips are present on the CV stub and also on the shafts themselves to limit full travel in the cv.
__________________
www.minis4monkeys.co.uk
getthewheelsinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #191
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getthewheelsinline View Post
Where did you get the tracking down in the end?

I had the same problem with my Allspeed billet shafts into the inner cv's. As they had laid about a while the shaft had attached itself to the inner cv so it restricted the shaft movement on the cv splines. Took a good run to free everything up. As above ensure the circlips are present on the CV stub and also on the shafts themselves to limit full travel in the cv.
Thanks Callum, had the tracking done at Craighill tyres, next to Sainsburys in Irvine.

The shafts have been lying a long time, stood upright in my garage so there's a very strong chance the inner CVs are stuck together.

Don't fancy a wee job rebuilding my Driveshafts for me, do you?
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #192
getthewheelsinline
Senior Member
 
getthewheelsinline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: kilmarnock, Scotland.
Posts: 205
Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Standard
Send a message via MSN to getthewheelsinline
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie08 View Post
Thanks Callum, had the tracking done at Craighill tyres, next to Sainsburys in Irvine.

The shafts have been lying a long time, stood upright in my garage so there's a very strong chance the inner CVs are stuck together.

Don't fancy a wee job rebuilding my Driveshafts for me, do you?

Ok - I'll keep that place in mind!

Sadly swamped at work just now mate - therefore no time even for the stuff I want to do - ha!! Sounds like everything just needs freeing up so you mechanic should manage that easy enough. I eventually stripped everything down, cleaned out the joints with diesel, re-packed with cv grease, and then banded the boot with the metal banding tool I bought. Done mine in a could of hours - so should be a doodle for your man!!
__________________
www.minis4monkeys.co.uk
getthewheelsinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #193
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getthewheelsinline View Post
Ok - I'll keep that place in mind!

Sadly swamped at work just now mate - therefore no time even for the stuff I want to do - ha!! Sounds like everything just needs freeing up so you mechanic should manage that easy enough. I eventually stripped everything down, cleaned out the joints with diesel, re-packed with cv grease, and then banded the boot with the metal banding tool I bought. Done mine in a could of hours - so should be a doodle for your man!!
I hope so! I haven't even spoken to them yet, I'm just dropping it off at 6am and posting keys through their door, and will phone at 9am when they open lol
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #194
ardonfast
Senior Member
 
ardonfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dunkeswell airfeald devon
Posts: 7,830
Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers
Default

Richie , how was the show, i hope your home safe and not stuck in england.
__________________
"yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #195
richie08
Senior Member
 
richie08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 789
Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default

Show was brilliant, and it was one he'll of a shakedown for the car. It did help me identify a few problems:

1. N/s cv boot leaking,
2. Broke a weld on my gear linkage (big thanks to Tomm for repairing for me so I could drive it home)
3. Intermittent fuel starvation issue, which was due to a piece of hose collapsing,
4. Fuel sender doesn't work

So it's all straightforward stuff to sort.
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.