Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #31
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsonminis View Post
Just some more metro pcd wheels on eBay if anyone is interested I a set of steel wheels. They formula ford is a 3.75 pcd. Not sure on what offset people are looking for. Could always get them banded to suite.
Formula Ford steel wheels (Wellers IIRC) are about ET34. They also don't have much caliper room. I recall years ago someone buying a set tried them on his half finished car and was very happy until he fitted the calipers and they didn't even get anywhere near fitting.

If you want steelies then you'll be looking at Metro steels (Most were 4.5x13 but they did some in 5.5x13 (again Metro GTa 16v) ) but the bigger ones are rare. The MGF spare wheel is a 5.5x14 steel but with not as much offset but still a possibility if that's what you wanted.

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun

Last edited by Oz; 05-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #32
Oz

These are 14 inch MGF spare wheels with 185/55-14 tyres but you could use 195/45-14 which would clear the radius arms (this car has modified rear suspension) but note the Frame in this car is narrowed by about and inch so on a standard Metro frame the wheels would stick out a further half inch or so.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #33
Haz

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1600
ECU: Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Nope absolutely not. The Mini and K series Metro running gear are completely (and I mean completely) different and there is no ability to mix and match. The K series discs are bigger than 8.4" (a touch over 9 inches IIRC). If you want upgraded brakes you are looking at MGF/Metro specific upgrades and not any Mini stuff.

Warning on the 7 spoke wheels, they have a very thick inner rim and you'll struggle to get any aftermarket calipers in there (not impossible - jondrane got some wilwoods under his multispoke GTa wheels) but you'll be using the vented Metro disc with them. The wheels almost seem to have been cast around the standard vented disc and caliper set up so there is little wriggle room.

KAD site says they produce them for metro or mini fitment...? Sucks about the alloy spacing though... I might have to space them out a little, just as long as it's not much more than 10mm I'll be happy.

So is the metro 4 pot caliper not a valid option in this case?
Haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #34
fynnbar

Subframe: SAE
ECU: Standard obd1-P30

No, this caliper is for the older Mini-type hub.
The MGF caliper / vented 240mm disc setup is well up to the job, especially with uprated pads
fynnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #35
Oz

When they say Metro they mean A series Metro which has a completely different hub and subframe arrangement to a K series Metro, nothing is interchangeable between them.

KAD do do an uprated 280mm vented disc and 6 pot caliper set up for the K series Metro but that does not fit under a 7 spoke GTI wheel

Old 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #36
Haz

Aaaah dammit! I didn't even think about the a-series/k-series metro differences

Right, so I'll put the MGF hubs back on ebay... Try and find some metro a-series hubs. I've got my heart set on KADs, I've had them before on a mini and they were awesome!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #37
Oz

No, the A series hubs are totally different and don't fit a K series frame so if you buy some they won't fit. To be clear 8.4" discs and KAD calipers will NOT fit the K series frame. There is no ability to swap them. Don't waste your money, the MGF hubs and calipers are the correct ones you need. The MGF vented discs and calipers are more than up to the job.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #38
DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
I've got my heart set on KADs, I've had them before on a mini and they were awesome!
KAD used to sell K series 4 pots(with seals) and 6 pot(no seals) big disc setups, as I have both setups, they were not cheap tbh.

I could not tell you if they fit under certain standard wheels, but they fitted under my 13" split rim wheels and 14" MO wheels(watsons offset based 6" wheel at ET49 or normal K series offset based 6" wheel at ET35 iirc).

Maybe have another look at the KAD website and see if they still sell them.

You can also change your PCD to 100, which gives a wider selection of wheels but normally offset for a 6 inch wheel only goes to about ET35ish(some VW wheels, some mazda wheels iirc). But you will still need wide wheel arches.

Hope that helps
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #39
Haz

Cheers once again chaps. You've all been really helpful

Just got off the phone to KAD, they don't make anything for the rover K-series set up.

So in summary...

101.6mm mini hubs I currently have = silly scrub radius (equalling bad handling) and over the top arches covering mini wheels

95.25mm Metro K-series hubs = severe lack of alloy choice although they are/can be the ideal offset, even less brake caliper choices.

100mm (VW) modified mini hubs = more alloy choices but not ideal offsets, although significantly better than mini offsets. Potentially more brake caliper options.

Seeing as I've gone to the effort of sourcing metro wheels and MGF hubs... I think I'll just go down the 9.5" MGF/Metro 2 pot brakes. I'm disappointed but I think the handling benefits of the correct offset will be worth the compromise.... I hope!

Last edited by Haz; 06-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #40
AGoaty

CC: 1796
Make: Rover

My small input.

This is my Watson's frame (Rover) with 6 spoke Rover Metro wheels and MG F vented discs. You really won't get much bigger...

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showpost....&postcount=138

Oh and these are a single pot with sliding caliper. The sliders are prone to seizing. Check this when buying...

Last edited by AGoaty; 06-06-2017 at 03:31 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #41
Oz

Quote:
I'm disappointed but I think the handling benefits of the correct offset will be worth the compromise.... I hope!
FWIW my set up (Watsons frame and 6x14 ET49 wheels) will drive straight with no tugging at the wheel at any speed and when throttle is snapped open at any revs. The K series frame with high ET wheels does put the power down incredible well

Old 06-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #42
Haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
My small input.

This is my Watson's frame (Rover) with 6 spoke Rover Metro wheels and MG F vented discs. You really won't get much bigger...

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showpost....&postcount=138

Oh and these are a single pot with sliding caliper. The sliders are prone to seizing. Check this when buying...
Cheers dude, they're a tight fit eh!! I hope the 7 spoke wheels have the same or more clearance!

Out of interest, are you servo assisted or not? Oh and... What master cylinder are you using?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #43
AGoaty

CC: 1796
Make: Rover

Quote:
Cheers dude, they're a tight fit eh!! I hope the 7 spoke wheels have the same or more clearance!

Out of interest, are you servo assisted or not? Oh and... What master cylinder are you using?
I am using the yellow tag master cylinder (no servo), braided brake hoses, adjustable brake bias valve (original one removed) and 5.1 brake fluid with Mintex brake pads and rear shoes. I found the rears would lock early under hard braking and would send you in a spin, hence the bias valve!

You can still get them hot on a track day! Never felt any fade but still shows they are getting close to their limit. Pedal isn't hard to press now with this setup. I actually bought a remote servo but feel it's not needed now.

The 7 spoke wheels are designed to clear these brakes and do have more clearance. Message Stevewidds on here and ask him for pic as this is the setup he's got.

Last edited by AGoaty; 07-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #44
Haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
I am using the yellow tag master cylinder (no servo), braided brake hoses, adjustable brake bias valve (original one removed) and 5.1 brake fluid with Mintex brake pads and rear shoes. I found the rears would lock early under hard braking and would send you in a spin, hence the bias valve!

You can still get them hot on a track day! Never felt any fade but still shows they are getting close to their limit. Pedal isn't hard to press now with this setup. I actually bought a remote servo but feel it's not needed now.

The 7 spoke wheels are designed to clear these brakes and do have more clearance. Message Stevewidds on here and ask him for pic as this is the setup he's got.
Thanks again, that's music to my ears! I've already got an internal bias valve and I'm also running the yellowtag master. Braided lines all around. I'll have to bleed it anyway when I come to do the hub & caliper conversion so I'll make sure it's full of 5.1 when I do
Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #45
fynnbar

Subframe: SAE
ECU: Standard obd1-P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geachy87 View Post
Someone is selling a set of 14" compomotive mo wheels on the 16v mini Facebook page, metro fitment for Watsons set up
Shot in the dark I know ...
Anyone know how I can find this post - can't seem to go back as far as June 2017 on the facebook timeline
fynnbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alloys, et40-49, offset, watsons, wheel