16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 06-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #46
evenbiggerdave

Not bothered building the diff up as the flywheel is gonna be lightened to its limit. Itís only for reverse, so doesnít need to be mahoosively thick if you get me? All about weight reduction......cos racecar!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
evenbiggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #47
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard

You make this look easy! Your welding looks great too.

I have to say I've never fancied a bike engined Mini as although they are quick on track, seem to struggle in traffic with loads of revs needed to set off. Once rolling, great stuff.

It looks like you have this sussed out anyway, having done a similar conversion before. I think the lack of comments on the build are probably due to not many people wanting to give advise as you clearly know what you're doing! You carry on with this Dave. Looks good to me.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #48
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
You make this look easy! Your welding looks great too.

I have to say I've never fancied a bike engined Mini as although they are quick on track, seem to struggle in traffic with loads of revs needed to set off. Once rolling, great stuff.

It looks like you have this sussed out anyway, having done a similar conversion before. I think the lack of comments on the build are probably due to not many people wanting to give advise as you clearly know what you're doing! You carry on with this Dave. Looks good to me.

Wow, thank you ever so much!!

Iím self taught everything, I set up baby shows and fix car seats and pushchairs for a leading brand as a job (I call myself a lorry driver, itís easier haha) and I have phocomelia too (arms finish at non bending elbows with only a couple of digits) so each day is a struggle! Not one to complain, thereís people out there in much worse situations than me!!

Having done the kart then the smart car, Iíve worked out where I went wrong with them, or more the issues I had!! So Iíve ironed them out before I started on the mini!!!

Dave

Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #49
evenbiggerdave

Today I moved a few cars for people on the truck, had a scrap run, then thought Iíll have 3-4hours in the garage!

Not much of a football lover and the Mrs was out! Sweet!!!

ITS COMIN HOME!!!!! (For all you footie lovers)

Today I managed to chop some more bits outta the bulk head, found a couple small holes, stripped the seam sealer, chopped the old steering rack mount out and closed in the end panels where the old subframe top mounts were!! Oh.....and got the master cylinders out!! What a pain in the backside that was!!! Could barely reach in there, all
6í7Ē of me bent over backwards in the car upside down haha!! The split pins were seized and the clevis pin things were too! Lots of swearing and a big bar, it all cane apart!!

Iím actually really happy how solid the mini is!! Nowhere near as bad as some! I think by doing a little bit and a time, goes a long way!!

Think Iím gonna order panels that go where the cage comes thru (side of bulkhead/door hinge panel?? Not sure) as I think thatíll be easier than trying to fab something. Plus the panels are dirt cheap!!

Day with Mrs tomor wedding planning, so hopefully an update in the week maybe!!

Cheers guys

Dave

Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #50
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenbiggerdave View Post
Wow, thank you ever so much!!

Iím self taught everything, I set up baby shows and fix car seats and pushchairs for a leading brand as a job (I call myself a lorry driver, itís easier haha) and I have phocomelia too (arms finish at non bending elbows with only a couple of digits) so each day is a struggle! Not one to complain, thereís people out there in much worse situations than me!!

Having done the kart then the smart car, Iíve worked out where I went wrong with them, or more the issues I had!! So Iíve ironed them out before I started on the mini!!!

Dave

I would never have guessed any of that looking at those welds, I struggle to weld that neatly.
The quality of your work is top notch, big respect to you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #51
InstantCustard

CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

PS, I am following your build but as Andrew said, thereís not much for folk to input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #52
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantCustard View Post
I would never have guessed any of that looking at those welds, I struggle to weld that neatly.
The quality of your work is top notch, big respect to you sir!

Cheers man, appreciate it.

I know when I read threads, thereís not a lot of replies in some, and Iím one of them that never talks, but I read, and know people are reading mine.

The welds are neat, but not all that neat! Only take pictures of the pretty ones (like women) but they all penetrate well, and are strong. Add ya own joke on that one!!

I can see painting the inside in sight!! Need to make seat mounts, then seam seal, fire wall.....ok, maybe not as close!!! Haha

Dave

Old 08-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #53
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
ECU: Megajolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenbiggerdave View Post
....I have phocomelia too (arms finish at non bending elbows with only a couple of digits) so each day is a struggle! Not one to complain, thereís people out there in much worse situations than me!!

Mate, this was an impressive build before, but that's just insane. Well played sir.

As above, following this build but not offering much (I don't even own a mini any more ), but we'll be sure to chip in if you ever hit a problem!
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLandy View Post

Mate, this was an impressive build before, but that's just insane. Well played sir.

As above, following this build but not offering much (I don't even own a mini any more ), but we'll be sure to chip in if you ever hit a problem!

Cheers buddy!!

Would be easier if someone had already done this conversion!!! People have done the rwd and subframe swap, but noone has used a bike engine in there too....or a turbo haha!! Trust me, Iíve google for hours and hours trying to get info!!! And hours........

Dave

Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #55
evenbiggerdave

Ran outta gas last night, so turned the mini on itís side and got my wire wheel on the grinder and got the roof cleaned and primed!! Felt as I was out there I had to crack on with something that didnít involve welding! I was welding the small hole in the front when it ran out, Iíll finish that of Saturday when I get some gas

Dave

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #56
edk83

Very cool build and coming along quickly.

Are you going to have some kind of bulkhead between you and the turbo?

Also I like the front bar tied into the subframe mounts, I've done something like that, although your mounts are a bit neater!
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #57
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post

Also I like the front bar tied into the subframe mounts, I've done something like that, although your mounts are a bit neater!

Cheers for the comments buddy. Do you have a link to your build?

I will have a bulk head, think itíll be 2 sheets with insulation of some kind inbetween like a sandwich. For noise and heat really. Then a type of parcel shelf across the top.

The frame ties into the turrets well, Iíve made the plates/flanges to go in the joint so the front subframe can be unbolted. Soon as I get some more gas I can weld them on!!

Tyres have arrived this week so will fit them Saturday

Dave

Old 12-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #58
evenbiggerdave

Quote:

Sorry, you meant the mount on the floor!!!

Yeah that should help with a lot of strength.

Dave

Old 12-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #59
edk83

Yeah front bar that ties in with the bottom of the A pillars / subframe mounts. You dont see it on many cages / builds but it's pretty important if you want to stop the engine coming through.

Not much of an issue in your case though, unless you put an engine in the front too?? I saw a second one in your parts pile.

How much power are you expecting with the turbo and will the bike engine stand upto the boost?

I've always had in interest in the crazy smart cars, but if I had a choice of looks between one of those and something old the older car would win every time.

My build is the Allegro in the non mini builds section.

My subframe mounts are vertical rather than the factory horizontal type so the towers don't need quite as much support, we added wings onto them that bolt into the cars inner wings.

Last edited by edk83; 12-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #60
evenbiggerdave

Default Blackbird turbo powered mini

Quote:
Yeah front bar that ties in with the bottom of the A pillars / subframe mounts. You dont see it on many cages / builds but it's pretty important if you want to stop the engine coming through.

Not much of an issue in your case though, unless you put an engine in the front too?? I saw a second one in your parts pile.

How much power are you expecting with the turbo and will the bike engine stand upto the boost?

I've always had in interest in the crazy smart cars, but if I had a choice of looks between one of those and something old the older car would win every time.

My build is the Allegro in the non mini builds section.

My subframe mounts are vertical rather than the factory horizontal type so the towers don't need quite as much support, we added wings onto them that bolt into the cars inner wings.

I had a look thru that build before, was well impressed!!

My mate keeps saying to put one in the front too.....the cv joints are in the hubs standard believe it or not, so the drive is technically there! I donít think Iím clever enough for that, but the engine is there just in case

On a standard mini, the subframe mounts very similar to how Iíve done it, I just worry bout the weak bulkhead (structurally sound, just thin metal) and I value my ankles! If I head a front ender, the tank and battery would be on their way thru to see me haha!! Part of the reason for a steel front end!

The smart car was cool, there is a build on smart cars of America if youíre interested. I paid £70 for the car in the end with a knackered alternator, £500 For a tuned cbr919 engine and bits, and spent 6 months of eves building it.

It went well, but sadly just looked like a normal smart car, which was the idea. Didnít get a second look till it was spitting flames! Everyone would look for a bike and see me trundle thru whereas the mini on the other hand will be something different!!

Iím swaying towards mr bean green with black bonnet.......just donít wanna spoil it! I like the colour, so I wouldnít be doing it for comedy value!

Power.....think theyíre 180bhp standard ish?? I want around 250bhp@500kg. I think thatís realistic. To be fair Iíd be happy with the N/A power! The smart was around 150bhp I think, maybe just over.

Dave

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 12-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.