16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 28-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
evenbiggerdave

Default Blackbird turbo powered mini

Hi guys. Been a while since I’ve been in here, but bought another mini (missed my XE one). Plan is the title, cbr1100xx engine, turbo, space frame.....rwd!

I won’t bother chatting too much unless it’s relevant, and please don’t slate my build, I’m just here to share it, an maybe give others ideas

So, I bought a 1983 mini 998, called Mable!!

As you can see, she’s a little worse for wear....not the nice red one

I then took it home, stripped it, and cut out the floor (ready for the engine) I mainly used a grinder and a sawzall, just for the rough hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 08:55 PM.
evenbiggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
evenbiggerdave

So then whilst it was in bits, I had the not so clever idea to build a cage/start the space frame!!

Really chuffed with it......but the engine wouldn’t then fit because of the x brace more fool me for trying to get ahead!!

So chopped it up

I then went parts shopping

Ended up with a chain driven Sierra cossie lsd, 2 injected blackbird engines (with looms, clocks, 3 manifolds amongst more) and a mgtf for the subframes! This enables a wide track, coil suspension, discs all round, and rear drive

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
evenbiggerdave

Stripped the mg, that was then put in the bin

I kept the engine for a few weeks, was 45k, auto, ran a treat, but no one wanted it, so that went in the bin too

Then offered the subframes up.....this took some thinking! Mounts, widths, steering, ride height etc! And how to tie it all in to the frame

The 16’s are only on til I get some 15’s/14’s.

The mini is pretty wide now!! Had to chop the original bits out that the towers bolted thru, they were in the way, I will box it up at a later date.

I then decided I had better do the floors, inner and outer sills, and door frames! Took it over my mates and cracked on! Should’ve done this before anything, but no, I got excited and wanted to do the cage

I have more welding pics, but you all own minis, I’m sure you’ve seen replacement panels before!

Got her home, then used the measurements and made the bottom rear mounts for the front subframe.

The mounts are shaped to the originals, and they fit well! Captive nuts welded in, then welded and panelled in to the floor. I will box the front in when I roll it back on it’s side

Quite chuffed with these! The cage is followed thru to the floor (pics later on) to aid strength. Bearing in mind, I think there bout 30hours in so far

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
evenbiggerdave

So now......front subframe bolted on at bottom.....but nothing to support the turrets. For the time being, I just tacked some 6mm plated triangles in to hold it square.

Rear end.....

Got the diff in place, mainly tacked, some strong welds in there too. All 26mm 3mm wall tube for this. Chopped the mg shafts, and got rid of un necessary brackets. Then tried it in the car. Made mounts for the bottom just like the front ones

Fits well!! Extended the wheel base 2” front and rear! Front was for the steering to clear and the rear for a tiny bit more leg room. I’m 6’7”! this will help with handling too.

Time to tie it all in to the cage

well chuffed how it came out! Neat, square, nearly symmetrical haha!

Ready to weld it in properly now!! Made some floor spreader plates out of 5mm plate I think, welded them in, and welded the main hoop to the 3mm 100x50mm box cross member

Hard work welding thick to thin, but not much of it to do!
Added the floor bar in that ties to the front subframe mounts as I mentioned earlier

and then ran thru to the turrets too. These are cut thru and tacked at mo (not in pic), as I need to put a plate/flange type affair in so that the front subframe can still be unbolted

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
evenbiggerdave

Happy with most things

I sent my best mate a pic, and asked his dad to make me the pic in 35mm and 50mm.....the pic was meant to be a dimple die!!

he made these, from the pic!!

He’s the absolute bollocks, and a really nice man too! He ives helping me with builds! He made the drive for my fireblade smart and gixxer kart amongst other things!

Cage all welded in, got the dimple die braces in the front screen! And this is how it sat......

i absolutely love this picture!!!! the stance is spot on in my opinion.

On to the engine! Had a few issues, just holding it in place really, and mounting it then realising it would hit on the cage when in the car and having to cut it apart again! my fault tho. Second attempt and got the engine fitted! All 26mm 3mm wall tube again.

It has a removable mount on the driver side, this way the engine is tight up to the side of the subframe, remove the mount and there’s wiggle room to get the engine in and out! Albeit a struggle!!

The engine is to one side so it can go as far back as poss, not much room in the mini, and with my height too......

Don’t worry bout the chain/sprockets, I used this set up in my smart, I’ll get mates dad to make me a jack shaft set up, it works trust me. Look closely on this pic from the smart, you’ll see the shaft and a bearing to keep it all steady,

It’s all in my head, some things written on my white board, but I’d like to say I kinda know what I’m doing (trying to do haha)

this pic was before the mounts were finished, but you get the idea

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
evenbiggerdave

Where am I up to now.......we’ll I made a manifold yesterday!

Super chuffed!!!! And.....it fits in the car well!!!

Any comments welcome. I not a welder/fabricator, I just enjoy making things, so go easy on me

I am a little gutted tho, I have a set of classic corbeau seats, had them retrimmed, but the lay back angle means the seat is close to the turbo and/or have enough leg room for my 11 year old I’ll have to sell these, and by some upright seats, the ones I’ve found actually give me 300mm more room! So really, it’s a no brainier!!

upsetting, but hey ho!!

This is 3months into the build and this is where I’m at!! Hope you’re all enjoying!

I have ordered an all steel front end this afternoon, and I have some bmw e46 boot hinges, so I’ll be doing a flip front that’s a lot like the new minis. Imagine pulling up a the petrol station and lifting the front to fuel up (will have an aluminium tank and battery in front)

I will update more when I do more.

Dave

Last edited by evenbiggerdave; 28-05-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
GEORDIE SP1

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1800
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard

Very tidy build, could you not put turbo out to side of engine.
Leave plenty of room for seats.
But you seem to know what your doing.

GEORDIE SP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Great start so far! love seeing how people work out how to fit things in plus it gives other people some insight as to what really goes into one of these builds, keep up the good work and updates.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 05:56 AM   #9
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORDIE SP1 View Post
Very tidy build, could you not put turbo out to side of engine.
Leave plenty of room for seats.
But you seem to know what your doing.

I was thinking that buddy, but I was struggling to make a collector pipe where it meets the turbo!! If I canít get enough room still, Iíll have to go that route! The black sets are defo outta the question tho

Old 29-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
Great start so far! love seeing how people work out how to fit things in plus it gives other people some insight as to what really goes into one of these builds, keep up the good work and updates.

Thanks for the positive comments hopefully try mock up the front end this week, when it turns up.

Old 30-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Awesome work. Great to see someone doing their own thing.

I was surprised to see the TF subframe fitting into the rear. I thought I'd seen other people trying this and found the height of the spring towers meant it wouldn't fit. I assume you haven't narrowed the frame?

My project Scorpion has a MG F frame narrowed to fit the rear Rover K series engine. The plan is to fit the turbo version of the same engine meaning the turbo will be in a very similar place to yours. Currently this area has the gear cables located in it so will need to be moved.

Are you planning on using the TF brakes and hubs? If so you will find that Rover Metro 13" wheels will fit the fronts without modification. The rear, the hub has a lug on the hub bottom which I think could be ground away to clear the 13" wheel. Other than that, 14" wheels will clear but are hard to find in the 3 3/4 (95.4mm) PCD. You could always get a set of MG F spare wheels banded.

Last edited by AGoaty; 30-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
evenbiggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
Awesome work. Great to see someone doing their own thing.

I was surprised to see the TF subframe fitting into the rear. I thought I'd seen other people trying this and found the height of the spring towers meant it wouldn't fit. I assume you haven't narrowed the frame?

My project Scorpion has a MG F frame narrowed to fit the rear Rover K series engine. The plan is to fit the turbo version of the same engine meaning the turbo will be in a very similar place to yours. Currently this area has the gear cables located in it so will need to be moved.

Are you planning on using the TF brakes and hubs? If so you will find that Rover Metro 13" wheels will fit the fronts without modification. The rear, the hub has a lug on the hub bottom which I think could be ground away to clear the 13" wheel. Other than that, 14" wheels will clear but are hard to find in the 3 3/4 (95.4mm) PCD. You could always get a set of MG F spare wheels banded.

Hey man! Thanks so much for the info! yeah keeping these brakes. And was going to go for 15ís with big arches. Not to e erupted taste, but more readily available. Will either go banded route (my mate does it for a living) or 4x95.4-4x100 adapters.

Where bouts are the towers supposed to fowl? Obviously mines pretty empty in the rear. I found it a reasonably straight dissed task to get the subframes in, albeit awkward with the lifting of the car, dragging the frames out, measuring again and again, putting back in

Do you have a link to your build? Sounds interesting.

Dave

Old 30-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
evenbiggerdave

Front end turned up today, decent quality for patten parts. Went outside for couple hours earlier, unwrapped, cut finger to the bone on a sharp edge of the slam panel, filled it with super glue and carried on haha.

Didnít do much......just a small mod to the A panels.....

And as my garage is so well insulated, it keeps the bloody heat!! So.....

Cool as a cucumber

Thatís all til maybe the weekend/early next week.

Thanks

Dave

Old 31-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenbiggerdave View Post
Will either go banded route (my mate does it for a living) or 4x95.4-4x100 adapters.

What does your man charge for banding? Got a couple of wheels I wouldnít mind doing for spares, had my current wheels fitted with tyres this week and when balanced, 1 has a lot of weights stuck to the outside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
MiniLandy

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1400
ECU: Megajolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
Which front brakes did the TF have? Not sure the optional 4pot AP racing ones will fit under the Metro wheels...
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote