16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 28-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
richie08

Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems

Have missed updating this thread the past couple of times, so pasted in te updates below:

15/10/12

Well, this has ended up being put on hold whilst I fixed my cooper sport (it required a new front end, scuttle, bulkhead repairs and top dash rail!) but now that it's completed, I've been keen to sort this out a bit. Not done much, butthe next thing im keen to do is to get it rolling, so i've ben digging out all the wheel bits in order to clean and paint them:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

28/10/12

Not really been working on this much, i just dont seem to have the time any more. Although, my latest updates are that I have now trial fitted the metro subframe using the watsons sideplates, and have cut the floor for the steering rack now. I also decided that rather than use coilovers at the front, I'd go for the watsons rally springs and hi-los, so I sold my coilovers and bought the watsons kit with the proceeds. I've also bought some new brake discs and pads, and made a start at stripping off the old ones (although I can't get it off, so might need to put the hubs onto the car to get it loose!) - anyway here's a few pictures of where I'm at:

richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #32
richie08

My next task is to get this rolling. I've made a start on refurbing all of the hubs, driveshafts, etc. All wire brushed and painted

Old 26-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
richie08

26/11/12

I took a day off today to do some studying, but decided to take a couple of hours outside to work on this to break things up a bit. I've fitted the new bush and bearings to one of the radius arms (although it still needs reamed) - unfortunately I never took any pics of this, but probably not that exciting to see anyway. It is, however, a nightmare of a job, next time I'll definitely just get an exchanged radius arm from TMS or something.

Other stuff has included fitting turrets to the metro subframe, and fitting the watsons rally suspension setup. Usual raspberryences along the way, like seized things etc. Finally, i've started to make up the floor mounts for the subframe and then that will be it!

I'll let the pics do the talking:

Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #34
richie08

2/12/12

I went throught the hell of removing the old bush, bearings and plastic liner, using hacksaws, and all manner of tools. This took an age, and makes this a job i will never repeat again. Suddenly, 40 for an exchange radius arm becomes very good value. I used some threaded rod to press in the new needle bearing and bush and all that was left was to ream the new bush. I attempted to do this by modifying a radius arm pin, but this just wasnt cutting the brass. So, A friendly local SM member kindly lent me his home-made parallel reamer, so that made light work of reaming out the bush. After all of that, I'd chipped quite a bit of paint, so I gave them another clean, then another coat of yellow paint. Finally, I painted the new brake drums gloss black to keep them good.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #35
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

nice one mate,, it pays to no your way around,lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
richie08

13/12/12

Have finally rebuilt the radius arms, nice new bearings, bushes, pins, seals, refurbished hubs, full new brakes etc. A lot of mucking about, but I'm very happy with what I have here. My next plan of action is to fit these radius arms to the car tomorrow, so I can try to get it rolling and into the garage ASAP. Here's some pics:

Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
richie08

02/01/2013

Hadn't done much in a while, mainly owing to being very busy on he run up to christmas, and going on a wee holiday. But I've been very keen to get the mini inside the garage again for some time. So, over the past few days, ive fitted the rear radius arms and the front hubs, and the new front lower wishbone in order to get it rolling. I've now got it back in the garage . Also, I've fitted one of the metro wheels with the Watsons adapters - offset is much the same as a sportspack wheel, so a sportspack arch shoud do the trick for covering it.

Cheers,
Richie.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
apbellamy

ECU: SC Typhoon

Coming along nicely
seat mounting should not be taken lightly, nor should a rat trying to get up your trouser leg doing 50,m,p,h, all of a suden your nUts become more important,
apbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbellamy View Post
Coming along nicely
very nicely, wheels are so nice also thinking about it the wheel choice must be limited somewatt coz the way the front arms come out a fair bit.
the only draw back[as far as i can see anyway] is the big rear spacers
im sure youve looked into this but i feel verry unserten about them.
the others must be verry close so i supose its ok, but keep an eye on them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #40
Oz

CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
very nicely, wheels are so nice also thinking about it the wheel choice must be limited somewatt coz the way the front arms come out a fair bit.
I'm running these. So far the only issue I've had is the screw-in studs coming loose so fit them with thread lock.

If they are a concern to you then speak to MarkD as he makes spacers that fit between the rear drum and the trailing arm so you bolt the wheels up to the brake drum as per normal on a Mini. You'd just need to convert to the 4x3.75 PCD by either redrilling Mini hub/drum (use a non-S drum) or fit Metro hub/drum.

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
theminihut

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1.6
ECU: Tuned by Z&F TUNING

Fantastic work man!*!*!*
It's so nice to see ur estate rolling now. The fit of the window blanking plates looks great. Could ya let me know who supplied them?
Also....
Would love to come and c this build.
Keep it moving.
Kind regards.
A*
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #42
richie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbellamy View Post
Coming along nicely
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Thanks for that. I'm not too concerned, as the overall offset is no wider than a sportspack mini. But in any case, I'll be keeping a regular check on the bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
I'm running these. So far the only issue I've had is the screw-in studs coming loose so fit them with thread lock.

If they are a concern to you then speak to MarkD as he makes spacers that fit between the rear drum and the trailing arm so you bolt the wheels up to the brake drum as per normal on a Mini. You'd just need to convert to the 4x3.75 PCD by either redrilling Mini hub/drum (use a non-S drum) or fit Metro hub/drum.
Thanks for that, I'll be sure to loctite mine in then!!

Yeah, have seen mark's kit too. Might be a consideration some time in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminihut View Post
Fantastic work man!*!*!*
It's so nice to see ur estate rolling now. The fit of the window blanking plates looks great. Could ya let me know who supplied them?
Also....
Would love to come and c this build.
Keep it moving.
Kind regards.
A*
Many thanks!

I have to say the fit and quality of the window blanks is pretty poor, and they weren't worth the money I paid for them. It's going to take me a heck of a lot of work to make them good. The guy who makes them is on TMF, and wasn't interested in sorting them out so, I'm a bit reluctant to give him any credit or another sale. There's some pics a few pages back... I'll PM you his TMF username and leave it up to you whether you wish to contact him.

Scotland's a wee bit far for you to nip round for a look at the work in progress, but you'll get to see this finished by IMM 2014 As long as nothing else comes up and consumes my time or money haha!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #43
kmcd

Top build buddy,i like the estates a lot. Like you i hope to have mine finished for IMM 2014 and ive not even started yet lol. Keep up the good work fella
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #44
richie08

haha, cheers mate
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #45
16vbluminicoop

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1.8
ECU: standard

Nice build mate. Hat of to you. A lot of work you have done, and I thought I had a lot of welding to lol. I've had a few clubman estates in my younger years its good to see one getting a 16v. In regards to the wheel spacers I got put of them totally after I came off. A roundabout and all my studs snapped of leaving me with no wheel lol. And that was usiimg standard ones. I saw the size of Watsons ones and decided against them and ordered th extended hubs of marke. Although still awaiting delivery so can't comment on them but they look great on his website.
But I'm sure other people are using the spacers on here no problems. Like oz says use thread lock,
Anyway good luck with your build and I'll keep any eye on this, as something interesting to read on these dark nights
16vbluminicoop is offline   Reply With Quote