16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Vauxhall Chat

Old 06-11-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
jiminwatford

Default AMT top arms - strength

its been posted on another mini forum that the AMT top arms have been known to snap and brake under heavy braking and cornering.

has anyone heard anything on this?

James
jiminwatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Richspec

Subframe: AMT
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: DTA
Default Top arm failure

Yes.

PM sent.
Richspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
mattcave

Send a message via MSN to mattcave

So what's the story then folks? Let's get the facts out in the open, don't keep it a secret...
mattcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Andy@AMT

In the 8 years of making this frame we have never had any one ring up and say i have broke the top arm. and we have sold over 100. will some one show me one?
Andy@AMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
mininut

Subframe: Other
Make: Other
ECU: Trionic 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcave
So what's the story then folks? Let's get the facts out in the open, don't keep it a secret...
There is nothing to "get out in the open"... they don't snap.
mininut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Andy@AMT

Do you think we would be still doing the same top arm setup if they kept breaking after all this time. I was in a car not so long ago with one of our frames in and the guy mis-judged the bend and we ended up hitting the barrier at 45-50 mph, the only damage apart from the bodywork was that it broke the top rose joint on the front arm, The only problem we ever had was with a race frame which was being used on the road, which it was never designed for. but the problem was rectified but we also had several other race frames being used for what they were designed for and we never had this problem,
Andy@AMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
ChadH

James,

What forum was it? I'd be interested to read what's been said. It's very easy for rumours to start on this forum, so I think it's only fair to AMT that all of the facts are posted so that any accusations can be answered properly.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
trickey

Would it be this one?
http://p211.ezboard.com/fminiclassic...ID=19408.topic
trickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
MattG
Administrator

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 2000
ECU: Megasquirt

as i can see this becoming a touchy area , i dont want one line posts saying 'My top arm broke !' , or 'We have never had any broken' etc.. if you have facts / names /dates examples then please say so..

thanks

Matt
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
mattcave

Send a message via MSN to mattcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcave
There is nothing to "get out in the open"... they don't snap.
Didn't mean to imply there WAS anything to get out in the open. What I meant was "let's hear the facts, not the rumour". I'm reasonably confident that if there was (or previously had been) a problem with them then someone on here would know about it. And the thread quoted above is pure rumour so I doubt there *IS* any fact to back it up.
mattcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
jiminwatford

of course matt,

it was on this thread http://p211.ezboard.com/fminiclassic...ID=19408.topic

i was enquiring about using metro hubs and asked if instead of lengthening the bottom arms to counter the postive camber i could adjust the top arms in.

someone asked and i put a picture of my frame to demonstrate.

a member replied sayng re the toparms, "under heavy braking and cornering, they have been known to bend and even fail (read snap)

no doubt ATM will spin it that they've been tried and tested blah blah blah, but that's the word when you talk to anyone in the mini 16v rally community (say, allspeed engineering)"

he did not back that up with any substantiating cases or evidence.

i replied i had not heard of any cases in three years of owning an AMT frame.

my post here was to clarify and /or discuss people's opinion/experiences of the arms.

James
jiminwatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #12
Richspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMT
Do you think we would be still doing the same top arm setup if they kept breaking after all this time. I was in a car not so long ago with one of our frames in and the guy mis-judged the bend and we ended up hitting the barrier at 45-50 mph, the only damage apart from the bodywork was that it broke the top rose joint on the front arm, The only problem we ever had was with a race frame which was being used on the road, which it was never designed for. but the problem was rectified but we also had several other race frames being used for what they were designed for and we never had this problem,
So what you are saying is that the race frame isn't strong enough to use on the road but is expected to be ok for use on track
That can't be right
Surely track use puts more strain on components than road use.
As I said in my pm to james, my road frame is ok apart fom a bent rosejoint, and i've had mine on the road longer than most.

Rich
Old 07-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #13
darrell cripps

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000cc
Make: Rover
ECU: std
Default hello

I think dave coxon told me that he has been told that the top arms on the AMT frame are s**t i dont think much of the bottom coilover braket in the pick does it just bolt to the ball joint
Old 07-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #14
Richspec

Default Re: hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell cripps
I think dave coxon told me that he has been told that the top arms on the AMT frame are s**t i dont think much of the bottom coilover braket in the pick does it just bolt to the ball joint
Yes it does just bolt to the balljoint, the race frame top arm is very different to that.

Rich
Old 07-11-2004, 06:39 PM   #15
mininut

Subframe: Other
Make: Other
ECU: Trionic 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richspec
So what you are saying is that the race frame isn't strong enough to use on the road but is expected to be ok for use on track
That can't be right
Surely track use puts more strain on components than road use.
Rich, can you please explain to me how many "Race Tracks" you've seen or been on that have pot holes? other than the illegal ones of course :roll:

And secondly, the simple fact that the quote came from a competitor that if forever commenting on AMT products is ridicules.

And finally, I don't believe that many (if any) AMT framed minis have been rallied, this is simply because they are not designed to do so. The race frame is made for track cars, i.e. no bumps. I'm sure if you ask AMT what the difference is that you will get a more meaningful answer.

Oh and lets not forget my mate told me that his mates other mate, has got a mate that snapped an "Allspeed" frame :roll: I think you understand what I'm saying.

M.
mininut is offline   Reply With Quote