16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Non Mini Builds

Old 21-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #16
Kam

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 2000
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Not been doing much on the car today, just having a good look around whats what in the bay, what needs cleaning up etc

Main focus was getting the engine on my stand, I've only had my 1.6 and 2.0 on there so was a bit wary of just plonking a 3.0 on so after some chat with the guys over on 205forum it was time to offer it up

First up the lugs on the engine stand were too long and the bolts for the bellhousing were too short so I chopped them down a bit (the lugs not bolts!) I had to already chop them down a bit for the Honda clan so now found myself cutting them some more...

Making them shorter meant I had to take the clutch assembly off as the clearance wasn't there

Managed to get the engine on but I could see a major problem!

Yes I know! Its not straight up but lop sided! Unacceptable, cue OCD...

My clarke stand has 4 spin positions but the cam covers were either one way or another so had to realign one of the lugs but the hard coolant pipe was in the way

Couldn't remove this pipe as it had some kind of spring/tensioner behind it pulling it back on, strange never seen one or understand what its there for - must be a french thing

Had to wiggle it out the way best I could then managed to get the spin plate on

Best I could get

Ok its not exactly straight up but my OCD was calm towards it...

I've also managed to source some 1.9 hubs (mine is a 1.6 with a 1.9 thrown in) I got GTI6 calipers here ready and waiting but the hubs were the main thing as the 3.0 run the same size shafts as 1.9, the shafts above I got with the deal are shortened 3.0 ones

Also I've got PAS, looking at the modified subframe I got compared with my original one I can't see how the PAS rack can fit? I need to drop my subframe so might offer up the new one and put the PAS rack loosley in place then drop the lump in to see if it'll go

I need PAS - I'm getting older
Old 21-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

nice looking lump jammykammy,
yes power steering will be needed, from memory the 1,6 was ok but a little heavy,
well it was down to the wheels more than anything, and the 1,9 wheels are Sexy after all,
and the alf lether with red was so cool,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #18
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
nice looking lump jammykammy,
yes power steering will be needed, from memory the 1,6 was ok but a little heavy,
well it was down to the wheels more than anything, and the 1,9 wheels are Sexy after all,
and the alf lether with red was so cool,
I was hoping to get away with not having PAS and just manning-up

Yeah forget that
Old 24-11-2017, 03:49 AM   #19
Kam

Done a little more earlier today, I need to get my subframe off, I did get a modified subframe with the conversion purchase but I'm not that happy with some/most of it so I will be cutting my one up and use the other as a template

Sods law my jack plays up whilst trying to lift the body! I've had this racing low entry jack for a few years now (machine mart purchase I think) never let me down but when I bought it Burnard said bits and bobs were either missing or loose on his one!

Looks like whatever is meant to be there in the UJ has popped out so pikey'd it up with a couple of screws!

Was having a 'mare trying to get the power steering union out of both the pump and steering rack so left them in for now

Subframe off and all

I was trying to salvage as much of the PAS I got but these unions were starting to take the biscuit

I'm still in two minds with this PAS, I will try and make my one work otherwise I will go EPS

Rack is off the frame

Still having issues with the unions! so thought sod it, ripped into them, will worry about hoses another time!

Thought I'd offer up the old PAS pump to the engine and see whats what, little bit of shaving but mount holes line up

Obviously I don't know how this pump differs to the 3.0 one or how this engine fits in the bay or what clearance is left but it seems to stay within the lines

If there's no room I will EPS this, but its always nice to have a try and a little looksie

I loosely bolted up my steering rack to the modified frame just to see how everything sits before I cut mine up. I won't be using the modified frame, really not happy with it, now don't get me wrong I'm no expert welder but if it don't look right to me it don't get used period

The underside will not put me on my MOT testers xmas card list thats for sure, looks like strengthening plates to me but again it may be functional but if it don't look right it can take all that away, just to confirm this is NOT work done by the guy I bought the conversion from, he already told me about this

So the modified subframe has my PAS rack on now so put it on my little height adjustable stool and the engine is still on the stand

Just wanted to quickly check PAS rack clearance so lifted the stool, it still has some height to go, you can see the mount holder on the middle right

Already the PAS part of the rack is a few mm from the exhaust and it still needs to be raised another 6" or so

The subframe is obviously not in its natural lateral position so when I next get a chance I will install the subframe and put the engine on the crane (minus gearbox for now) drop it down and see again before I decide if I can use the PAS or go EPS
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #20
Kam

Been doing a bit lately but not really much progress on the car

On a plus note I've managed to source some 1.9 hubs

Not easy to get hold of, my 1.6 ones are for the smaller driveshaft, the 1.9 has the bigger and same size shafts as the 3.0 ones

One thing (of two) that was bugging me was engine positioning, why I never bought this a long time ago I will never know but engine leveller purchased

The other thing that was bugging me (big bug!) was the floor in the garage, its on a two step level not loads but enough to cause aggro...

Getting the engine crane moving took some effort but it wasn't ideal and that was with just the engine only no box, so large sheet of ply and some backing underneath

So cue Kam madness I remembered I bought a winch a few years back but it stayed in the box

Had some cement lying around

I think you can tell where I'm going with this

Instructions say only two M8 bolts needed in the ground, umm ok

Gearbox on and winch seems to be working a ok hooked up to the crane

Engine mount was torn off but still had the bottom part of the bush in place, read it can be a pain but drift punch on and started turning

Molegrips to finish off

I LOVE my engine leveller

Managed to get engine in close position, and marked out bodywork mods needed

Kambelt cover and side panel clash

Alternator clash

Will blow the dust off the grinder and sort this

Once engine position is found subframe will then go back in for some more grinder time
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #21
Yellow

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8VVC
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover MEMS3 with Kmaps upgrade

That is a big lump! And I forgot how much room conventional struts take up in the inner wings compared to a mini. +1 on the engine leveller - great bit of kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #22
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
That is a big lump! And I forgot how much room conventional struts take up in the inner wings compared to a mini. +1 on the engine leveller - great bit of kit
My tap and die set is giving the engine leveller a run for its money, what a get out of jail card that kit is
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #23
Kam

Had a small amount of time earlier so figured I'd try and get something done but the thought of going into a cold garage with cold tools wasn't exactly top of my list

Took off the alternator and had my 1.9 one close by, interesting to see it was a bit smaller and lighter, not sure what amp difference it is, not that I'll need the extra for my cruise control etc

Using the 1.9 one would mean a lot less work on the bodywork but a lot more work on making it fit...hmmm

Trimmed up some bodywork to clear the cam cover and dropped the lump in

Looks like it needs to be spaced up on the right hand mount

Got some room at the front, I say some...

Will chop out more of the cam side bodywork and have another looksie at the alternator

Nearly ready for the MOT

Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #24
Kam

I think I got a cheap mount (well was from ebay) the drivers side top mount caved in when the engine was lowered hence the wonky angle, there are a couple of buffers that sit either side of it so thought it might be just because they wasn't there

So put the buffers back on the right hand mount but still the same - the top part of the bush caves in right down to the bottom where the notches are (for when removing them)

So looks like you get what you pay for, ordered some uprated ones, will bin this once they arrive. I don't mind the extra vibrations through the shell, used to it with the mini as it is running uprated mounts which have a shure rating of something like 75 (originals are around 60), they are harsh but the engine don't move for nothing and with 5mm clearance everywhere you need it steady so I'm guessing with the tight clearances with this swap it'll be the same

In the meantime my rubber mallet snapped

Had it for years, quite sad but as you know things happen for a reason...

Then cue Kam madness

Took off around 30mm, roughly the same the bush mount was caving in...

Fits nice

Engine sits more level now but will wait till new mounts are here, this will do in the meantime to check subframe clearance

Clearance seems fine underneath to steering rack and manifold

So looks like I will use this subframe a template and start cutting up my one then reinforce it

All good ​​​​​​​
Old 13-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #25
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
ECU: dizzy/webers

timmy mallet to the rescue, brilliant !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #26
MattG
Administrator

ECU: Megasquirt

triggers broom
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #27
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
timmy mallet to the rescue, brilliant !!
It sacrificed itself for a MUCH greater cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
triggers broom
had it nearly as long but not as many heads
Old 14-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #28
Kam

Didn't have much time today so not much done, pulled off purchased subframe and got ready to cut mine up

Could do with a little clean

Started on making the cuts

Do feel a bit lucky having a template subframe to work off, sod doing trial and error with this on a jack on my back!

In the meantime I got the upgraded mounts come through, also picked up a 406 rear mount which I'll make a bracket for on my subframe, don't really want to take the bracket off the purchased subframe and weld to mine so will start over instead

All good so far
Old 20-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #29
Kam

Still chomping more off the subframe

Put the subframe on the old one as a guide to make my rear lower mount holder, with all the bits falling off the subframe I figured why not make it out of what came off? Same material, same thickness

But decided to pick up a sheet of some 5mm stainless instead, thicker than whats on there already

I've taken out the spacer under the mount, I want these mounts in and don't mind the extra vibes through the office chair, got it with the mini so no biggie. Enough thread showing now

The bottom end will be hanging low but again I've got this already so not concerned, just need to get rid of these lowered springs...

Engine sits much better now, tight but getting there. Still want to angle the front down a little more

Need to shave a little more off the subframe to get the tilt angle I want, rear diff is close to the steering gaitor but should be fine. I'll worry about the Kambelt cover to brake res later

With the engine lowered a bit and the tilt allowing the V to be well as V as possible I'll need to shave a little off the top of the wishbone mount, not the section of the bolt but the gubbins above it, driveshaft cup will slide in nicely then, only a few mm needed away

Front slam panel obviously needs cutting but trying to limit how much is taken off

Slowly slowy does it
Old 20-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #30
fynnbar

Subframe: SAE
CC: 1595
ECU: Standard obd1-P30

That engine was meant to go in there, wasn't it. Looks so right.
I'm sure you've thought of it Kam, but bear in mind the oil pick-up if you tilt the engine too far from standard.
fynnbar is offline   Reply With Quote