16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Vauxhall Builds

Old 22-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
pipsovich

Default Swedish X16XE project

Hello!

I've been working on this car for the better part of the year now. Bought her in 2016, it had one previous owner and was in pretty good running condition.
I then wanted some more power, started thinking about going for a tuned up a-series, but felt i wanted something more reliable. So it came to be, my X16XE build.

Planned specs:

Engine:
X16XE from a 1996 Opel Tigra, 60000 km on the clock.
F17 WR gearbox
Hydraulic clutch
"power box" upper inlet
some homemade exhaust, havent decided yet

Chassis:
Hilos
Red dot rubbers
AGX dampers
Allspeed frame incl adjustable tiebars and so on
Adjustable rear mounts
Minisport 4-pots
10x6 ultralites with r-tyres
Poly bushes all round

Last edited by pipsovich; 22-09-2017 at 09:47 PM.
pipsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
pipsovich

A few pics to begin with!

Car when i bought it. ONE previous owner!

Some rust at the subframe mounts. The subframe was also rusted away, so i bought a new one from minispares. OK for the money, but i am not very impressed by the quality of this item (Not original).
New subframe billet mounts from minisport, along with poly bushes.
Old 22-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
pipsovich

Some assembling going on

Nice to put on new, assembled brakes from minisport

New minifin drums

Trying on some rims.... Yummiiieee.

Looking good!
Old 22-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
pipsovich

Decided to make a removable steel front. I also made my own bulkhead box as i didnt get the drawing from allspeed to match with the box i ordered from them.

Had to replace both front floor panels because of rust, the old floors were very poorly repaired, cant have that!
Old 23-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
pipsovich

Subframe and front suspension mounted! Went smooth, just hade to use a roundfile on the lower mounting holes in the body.

Old 23-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
pipsovich

Engine in!
Very tight fit as you guys problably already know. How much clearance do you have against the upper suspension nut? And how much clearance to the oil pan on the right side of the car against the subframe?
Do you put the engine to the right side of the car to make more clearance?

Also had to modify the brake pedal because of the bulkhead box interfering physically with the pedal arm, according to pictures. I will be running std pedalbox with front/rear split cylinder and a wilwood brake proportioning valve for the rears.

Anyways, right now i am sorting the shifter linkage, i've modified the arm from the tigra to be a better fit, as well as to get a shorter "quickshift" function. It is in progress on the pictures.
I will also be putting the shifter a bit more to the back than standard position to, which also means i have to move the parkingbrake lever a bit for clearance.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Hoggy

Looking great buddy.
I have a c16xe conversion.
What are you doing for the intake? I have a custom made setup for sale if you're interested pm me?

Cheers
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
pipsovich

thanks!
What kind of setup do you have for sale? ITB's?
I will be using a cheap "powerbox" (the name is kind of misleading, if they dont mean that it will REMOVE power...) to begin with.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
pipsovich

So.. not much updates from me. I guess i dont think anyone is that interested in seeing another X16XE build that is not unique in any way.
Been doing some progress anyways, the front is now removable steel, used the standard one that i cut off.
I will try to use a standard 4-branch manifold, and i made a new front bar, that has a hump in it to clear the manifold. Also made that little box you can see there. Dont comment the welds please.. i know. :P got a bit messy at points. Also it is not finished yet, i will be tidying it up a bit.
The front grille will of course fit without mods. I think it will look really angry with the visible manifold.. im not after that stock-look, i want the look to be kind of function before form.
Also i have mounted the alternator which is a small 60A one, what do you think, can it stand the heat from the exhaust, which i will also wrap and use a heat shield? Kind of nice not to have it in the arch, and also rotating at the right direction.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
GEORDIE SP1

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1800
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsovich View Post
So.. not much updates from me. I guess i dont think anyone is that interested in seeing another X16XE build that is not unique in any way.

Been doing some progress anyways, the front is now removable steel, used the standard one that i cut off.

I will try to use a standard 4-branch manifold, and i made a new front bar, that has a hump in it to clear the manifold. Also made that little box you can see there. Dont comment the welds please.. i know. :P got a bit messy at points. Also it is not finished yet, i will be tidying it up a bit.

The front grille will of course fit without mods. I think it will look really angry with the visible manifold.. im not after that stock-look, i want the look to be kind of function before form.

Also i have mounted the alternator which is a small 60A one, what do you think, can it stand the heat from the exhaust, which i will also wrap and use a heat shield? Kind of nice not to have it in the arch, and also rotating at the right direction.

Keep it coming, good stuff, We all learn something new from every build .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GEORDIE SP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #11
Mini Vlatko

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: MegaSquirt

I must agree on that one, and EVERY build is unique in some way!
Just keep those pics coming!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
250ptm

Subframe: Other
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: odb1

Quote "Also i have mounted the alternator which is a small 60A one, what do you think, can it stand the heat from the exhaust, which i will also wrap and use a heat shield? Kind of nice not to have it in the arch, and also rotating at the right direction." Unquote

Instead of wrapping the headers why not use ceramic coat. Did mine several years ago dissapates the heat well and IMHO looks neater. The ALt should be OK since it is well exposed in the front of the grill.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
NudgerSS

ECU: MBE 967EF

Keep the updates coming. Always good to see how other people are doing things.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
NudgerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
pipsovich

Another update!
Been working a lot on the cooling system. Trying to learn to weld aluminum, it takes a lot of time to do this!
I have welded new fittings to the MPI alloy rad, so that it has 35 mm inlet as the x16xe rad has, and 38 mm outlet, so it fits directly onto the also home-made rear cooling pipe, which i made out of aluminum as well.
Could not find a nice enough coolant tank, so i figured i'd try and make one myself. On the pictures it's not finished, now it has connections for the air vent, which i have also welded a connection on the radiator for the air to be able to vent into the tank.
I pressure tested the radiator to 1,1 bar and the tank/pipe i tested to 7 bar (i know its a lot but... it could take it )

I also have made my own brace bars, and painted the firewall. The firewall is brushed underneath the paint, therefore the finish is not that great, but its just in the engine room anyway so.
Ral 3020. Very... RED

I have also decided that i really need to do something about the rev's - this car will be revving about 4380 rpm @ 100 km/h (thats like 60 mph)...
Does a diesel box from a combo van fit onto this, its got a F13? combo vans have a variety of F13WR, F15, F17... but does it mount to a petrol engine?

Last edited by pipsovich; 25-03-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 25-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
NudgerSS

ECU: MBE 967EF

Nice work Pip. Yes the F13 box bolts up to the petrol engine. F10, F13 and F15 will all fit. Iíve gone for the F15 w/r with a 3.55FD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NudgerSS is offline   Reply With Quote