16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Vauxhall Builds

Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #31
Muffyvaux

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt

There is not much clearance at all round the allspeed frame, if you have followed the dimensions you wont have much ever. Need to run a single V pulley to clear frame.

Good to see some more people sticking with 10s.

Ben
Muffyvaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #32
Pikey

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffyvaux View Post
There is not much clearance at all round the allspeed frame, if you have followed the dimensions you wont have much ever. Need to run a single V pulley to clear frame.

Good to see some more people sticking with 10s.

Ben
cheers for this, will keep it in mind. right now everythingis just tacked in place at the moment, so can alter easily.

yeah love my 10's!!

anyway havent got anymore updates on the subframe, as ive spent the day travelling the country to pick up a front end off of ebay.

bit of a risk, as its used but never put on the car, but for 110 i think it was worth it.

got it home and tried it on the car and it fits pretty good, needs a bit of work but im happy with it

im tempted to buy some fibreglass a panels, and bond these on if i get trouble round the a panel.

comments welcome,

cheers pike
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
Birdman

CC: 2000
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Here's the gear calculator for you to decide upon your gearbox / wheel n tyres / FD:

http://www.slindborg.host.sk/gears/

Should be F20CR with either 3.42 or 3.55 FD then bang in your wheel and tyre sizes. Hope it helps..
Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
ECU: dizzy/webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post

comments welcome,

cheers pike
shame we didn't know about type of front,
its ok but you have 1 days work to fit and resess the headlight aria, just my opionion, you may get around it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #35
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Here's the gear calculator for you to decide upon your gearbox / wheel n tyres / FD:

http://www.slindborg.host.sk/gears/

Should be F20CR with either 3.42 or 3.55 FD then bang in your wheel and tyre sizes. Hope it helps..
cheers mate, but the link didnt work?

willl google the name of the website and see what comes up.

thanks again, pike
Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #36
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
shame we didn't know about type of front,
its ok but you have 1 days work to fit and resess the headlight aria, just my opionion, you may get around it,
yeah im quite cinfused by it as it doesnt look like any that you lot have bought on here!! fibreglass is quite easy to shape though so hoping to get it all tidy.
am very tempted to just cut away the grill area, and make some kind of grill/mesh or something, which will also help with cooling i hope.

cheers ardon,

pike
Old 06-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #37
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
ECU: dizzy/webers

Its a fiddly little spot, hope this helps,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Last edited by ardonfast; 06-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #38
Pikey

Cheers Ardon, yeah looks like it could take a lot of work and patience to get this right, bananas🙈

Pike
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #39
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
cheers mate, but the link didnt work?

willl google the name of the website and see what comes up.

thanks again, pike
It's called "Vauxhall speed in gear" should get that via google.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #40
spNOam

CC: 1998
ECU: Tweaked DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Its a fiddly little spot, hope this helps,

Just what I'm after.........shell is crying out to be put over a westfield or caterham unfinished project, nice RWD project

Geoff
spNOam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #41
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
It's called "Vauxhall speed in gear" should get that via google.
yeah ive got it now, cheers, but barely got the info i need, typical!! will have to take some measurements tomorrow, cheers birdman this will come in handy.

bit of an update, had an hour on the subframe tonight.

really puzzled with this bit, been thinking it over quite a lot. i know i need this bit to come in contact with the tie bar mount, and also the lower arm mount. so after some delicate cutting, some even worse angles and a lot of swearing i came up with this.

took a bit of fettling to get that box to have the right angles and stuff, but happy with it, so i then cut out as much as i could with the grinder.

this is how far i got really, as didnt have much time. im happy with the design and will copy it for the other side. as i said, all this is just tacked in place until the engine is situated correctly.

a pic from underneath shows that its running at about the same height as the original subframe, so hopefully wont bottom out.

im not worried about the cutting out being rough, becase as soon as this design is finalised the plasma cutter will come out and have a go at it

if im going wrong here please say something sa i really dont wanna do this a second time round.

cheers, pike
Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #42
Baldingbeast

I don't really know anything about this subject, but......are those brace bars Ok with the angle you have created with the middle join? My Allspeed frame has those bars going pretty much straight down to the tie bar position. I was just a bit worried about the strength aspect with that bend in the bar. Will that not collapse in a frontal impact? Or maybe that's the point of the bend you have made? Like I say, I don't have any knowledge on this subject and this comment is just an observation really, I may be talking shlte, it's happened before!!. More than once. Lol
Baldingbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #43
Pikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldingbeast View Post
I don't really know anything about this subject, but......are those brace bars Ok with the angle you have created with the middle join? My Allspeed frame has those bars going pretty much straight down to the tie bar position. I was just a bit worried about the strength aspect with that bend in the bar. Will that not collapse in a frontal impact? Or maybe that's the point of the bend you have made? Like I say, I don't have any knowledge on this subject and this comment is just an observation really, I may be talking shlte, it's happened before!!. More than once. Lol
no i agree with what your saying, im not too happy with the angle they are at, especially drivers side. i mocked up the frame with the engine and its quite clear these bars are going to have to be altered, but not yet as i have a few other jobs to do first.

cheers for the hesds up tho mate!! hows your build coming along??

cheers pike
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #44
Pikey

also got abit of an update.

carried on cracking with the frame, started on the driver side.

cut away as much material as i could before starting so i could get plenty of room. this thing just eats up grinding discs

and then i welded in the bottom bar, making sure to be flush with the lower arm joint.

next job was to cut the extra bit with all the fiddly angles, this was much easier than last time and got it in the forst go!!

as you can see in the picture i also welded it to the tie bar mount to stop it from moving.

finally i took the subframe off and took away as much material as i could, and then welded up the bottom arms as i was happy with their placement.

next on the job is the back piece, but i need to mount the steering rack to watch out for clearance etc, and i would also like to have the engine mounted at this point just to make sure, so i just got 2 offcuts and welded a rough frame across the back to stop it from moving while i cut off more and more bits off the old subframe.

then i flipped it over, and stood it on the ground. it was all flat and level so thats a good sign right??

so then i cut out that back piece roughly. once im happy with the frame, i will get out my plasma cutter and tidy up all the edges, seam weld everything and then paint. until then im not fussy.

finally i cut around the tie bar mount as much as i could. this area will have a triangle shaped piece welded above it, which will make it strong enough and also strengthen then whole frame.

you can also see that i tried lining up the engine onto the frame. close, but not quite.

first things forst i need to make the brace bar across the front removable.

then i need to make the brace bar at the front come out wider so thje oil filter passes it.

and also make the passenger brace bar slightly wider so the box slots in tidy.

once this is done, i will bolt the subframe back on the car, support it, and drop the engine in (no mounts of course) and see how eveyrthings lining up.

real happy with progress though, getting closer to finishing this frame.

any comments welcome,

cheers pike
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #45
Birdman

Looks good and quick progress. You have the benefit of many pics available of XE frames that work, but worth dangling the engine above the frame now and then to see what areas might clash. Keep up the good work.

I take it you will fit an extended front? I think with the std mini subby towers ( not the Allspeed ones) you have to work very hard to get the engine and everything under a std length front.