16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #31
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: standard

I'm with denis on this, seems like typical HGF (and I'm reluctant to say that unless I'm convinced). I have seen them before doing exactly as yours is, with no mixing of fluids, no drop of compression and even appearing clean on sniff tests etc. In fact I did one for a friend a few months ago with those exact symptoms, it ran fine for months and only over pressurised after very hard driving, no mixing of fluids, passed a sniff test etc, we changed almost the whole cooling system first as there were no signs of hgf. In the end we did the HG and it was instantly cured (had a bananasty pattern mls gasket on it).
I would just do the hg before the head is cooked and goes soft, it's not a big or expensive job really and at least you will know there is a good quality gasket in there (use genuine payen).
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #32
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
ECU: Standard

I certainly won't ignore any comments, even if I don't agree with them!

Until the tank holds some pressure, there is no way I am changing a head gasket!

I understand what has been said and monitor the water level regularly. Just top up as needed.

It gets even warmer than normal.

Edit...

I have done a little research and the reason these are pressurised is to increase the coolant boiling point to over 120 degrees C at 1 bar (15psi). It sounds like my problem, just need to visit local scrappy to find an alternate tank type.

Last edited by AGoaty; 13-05-2017 at 07:57 AM.
AGoaty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #33
AGoaty

A bit slow getting this sorted.

I have bought an expansion tank and cap from an Audi A3 petrol. I fitted the test valve and blocked the main pipe. This holds 1.5 bar. It releases slowly above that until 2 bar then opens fully so that is max pressure.

Hoping to fit this over the weekend.
Old 24-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #34
edk83

Will be good to hear if the Audi tanks solves it, I've just mounted my Zr tank so sort of annoying!

Yeah normal coolant is under pressure to raise the boiling temp as when it boils it not effective, super heated vapour doesn't cool so you get a runaway overheat with pressure loss or just steam if the engine is shut off.

I'm still hoping by using the 180 degree boiling point Evans stuff it will help, doesn't expand or create any pressure but it's not quite as efficient at cooling as water and coolant, engine is said to run a couple of degrees hotter but there is less stress on everything and it lasts much longer. Give it a go and see what temps I get wont have to worry about the header tank holding pressure so much though.

Last edited by edk83; 24-05-2017 at 04:29 PM.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #35
AGoaty

Fitted the tank today. Was tight but it's in!

Need a track day now...