Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
B.Bumble

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]
Default MEMS 3 wiring help

I have got myself a 2006 MGZR 1.4, stripped the car and rebuilt the engine. I am now about to fit the loom from the MG as I know the complete package works. I got fed up trying to convert my old 214 SPi to the MPi so decided to change the lot. Question. Before I start to dismantle the loom and remove the bits I don't need, is there anything I SHOULD LEAVE that might affect Rover's wonderful alarm/ immobiliser system and prevent the car from working. I am looking to remove the following:
1. ABS,
2. Central Locking,
3. Air Con,
4. Electric Windows,
5. Air bag
As I said, I have the complete car so should have ALL the bit needed.
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

You can remove all of those mentioned. I have on mine.

The alarm system isn't complicated. In fact I think it works quite well.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
B.Bumble

Thanks for that. Having got a system that works I didn't want to break it. I assumed most would be OK but was unsure about the central Locking as that is connected to the alarm unit. Also wasn't sure if there were any "shared" feeds that might be problematic.
Got the scalpel sharpened and ready to go.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: standard

all the immobiliser needs to work is a permanent live feed, ignition on feed, earth, one wire to the ecu and one wire to the starter relay. Everything else can be removed, although leave the aerial wire the same length otherwise the range of the fob will be reduced
gazwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
edk83

Listen to Gazwad, he is the man

One other which it will work without but I'd include. Perm live to an led, earth side to the correct pin on the 5as. You can use it without and hear it click when you press the fob but much nicer to have an led.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
edk83

Also just noticed its from a 2006? That would make it a Pektron?

Would be a good idea to swap the ecu and alarm box for a Lucas system from a mk1 zr
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
AGoaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post
Also just noticed its from a 2006? That would make it a Pektron?

Would be a good idea to swap the ecu and alarm box for a Lucas system from a mk1 zr
That's a fair point Ed.

The later Pektron system is a PITA. I'm not saying don't use it but just be aware that if it goes wrong (the soldered relays inside the SCU/alarm box) can only be repaired by very skilled soldering, usually sent off for repair. The earlier Lucas system is no more reliable but has plug in relays which are easy to swap at home.

Use this as a guide and check everything works first, in particular the circuit failures. If items don't work it will be better to swap the system to Lucas than repair the Pektron.

https://www.technozen-electronics.co...u-information/

p.s. My son had a different fault in his SCU to those listed. He bought a car where the horn was disconnected. When fitting the SCU into his own car, found the horn was permanently on, hence the horn wire removed.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
B.Bumble

Thanks for all the input. My system is indeed a Pektron SCU with all the components in one place, hence my concern that I might disconnect a shared feed if not careful. I intend to use as much of the loom as I can and incorporate the MG latch switches as well as the column stalks. Hopefully this will help keep the Pektron sweet. I take Ed's point that the older system might be more stable and easier to fix but, as far as I can tell, this system 'aint broke so I am just going to go with it. Will keep you all posted.
Old 28-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
B.Bumble

Default Pin 35

Getting there with the wiring but it's oh so slow! I intend to keep the Rover alternator as the MG one had the fancy mounts for air con and power steering and didn't fit. There are THREE wires on the MG loom from the alternator. The main feed, a N/Y which is the warning light and a W/R that goes to the ECU. What does this W/R wire do? I only have connections for the feed and the warning light on the Rover alternator so not sure what to do about this one. My Rave CD doesn't show this third wire but my CD only goes to 2004 and the MG was a 2006. It looks like PIN 35 but can't find pin info anywhere online.
Old 28-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
edk83

Pretty sure that's a load sensor, ecu bumps the revs up when there is extra load on the alternator.

Not needed, as you have the warning light and main power connected
Old 28-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
edk83

Ps I fitted the mgzr mems3 alternator on the mgf mems 2 (no ac) mount. The alternators are the same and the Mg one has the handy plug straight into the zr loom.

Just needed the lower type mount from the mgf, made my own tensioner from rose joints.

Last edited by edk83; 28-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 28-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
B.Bumble

Thanks for that. I like the idea of the newer alternator from the MG. Is that a "standard" non A/C MGF bracket you have used?
Old 28-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Good evening Mr bumble, I have just gone through the same thing that you are doing. What year is your engine/loom out of? as the later cars have an ECU controlled alternator, I removed the pin from the large ECU plug cut off the terminal, extended the wire and then connected it to an ignition live to to activate the alternator when the engine runs, by doing it this way means you don't have to run a complete new wire in.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
AGoaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bumble View Post
Thanks for that. I like the idea of the newer alternator from the MG. Is that a "standard" non A/C MGF bracket you have used?
Yes that is what is used. I have a spare if you need one...

p.s. it's not just from an MG F. It's all non A/C models.
Old 30-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #15
B.Bumble

Thanks Guys. I have the newer alternator from the 2006 MGZR and have now bought a bracket to fit it so the issue should be solved. Thanks again for all the advice.
Just for the record, Bumble is my Mini, cousin of Bumble Bee, the famous Autobot. See Wikipedia blurb below if you are unfamiliar with this iconic car.

Bill T.
PS keep a lookout for any of the Transformers movies over Xmas. I use the grandkids as an excuse.

Bumblebee (known as Abejorro in Mexico, Bumble in Japan, Moscardo in Portugal, Űrdongó in Hungary, Maggiolino in Italy) is the "little brother" of the heroic or protagonistic Autobot faction and a mascot, constantly striving to prove himself in the eyes of the other robots - especially his leader, Optimus Prime. This often causes him to take risks that put him in danger. Although a bit of a smart aleck, he is a capable and reliable messenger and spy, his small size allowing him to go places that his larger commanders cannot. He is highly fuel-efficient, has great visual acuity, is particularly adaptable to undersea environments and transforms into a Saturn yellow Volkswagen Beetle. He was later reconstructed into a stronger, more mature form as Goldbug.

May the force be with you