Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
smilerb

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
Make: Rover
ECU: Will be standard
Default Mid engine Clubman estate

After a few years away from this site Iím back!

This is my original build,
http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20194

I still have the mini but have had it Sorn for a few years. It will be back on the road soon.
As we all know mini prices went to new heights making projects very expensive. Iíve always fancied doing a rear engine van or estate, but the prices were ridicules. Saw a front section of a ďvanĒ well the scuttle and windscreen it did have the VIN plate though starting price £750!!
As luck would have it a friend stumbled across a barn find Mini Clubman Estate at a price I couldnít refuse. As it was an unexpected find Iím certainly not prepared, so expect a long build.

DSC00651 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

DSC00634 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

DSC00643 by Gavin Bateman, on Flickr

Once the body is sorted, I plan to use an MGTF as a donor car, using both sub frames, fuel tank, seats, body panels etc. If it has a good engine I may fit into my present mini as the engine in that has over heated a couple of times.

I have plenty of time to look at engine options, but my initial thoughts are an Audi 1.8 turbo, which are anything from about 150 to 225 bhp or an Audi v6 (180bhp?) which is very compact. Either should fit in the back of the estate. There is a chap on YouTube fitting an Audi 1.8 T into the back of a Metro. The 1.8 T engine is an easy fit into a TF sub frame. Iíll watch and see how his build progresses before I make a final decision

Looking forward to starting this project

Gavin
smilerb is offline   Reply With Quote