Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 26-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
madrallysport

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 998
Make: Other
ECU: Standard
Question Rear engines mini back suspension

I'm fitting a bike engine in the back of my mini, I've a rear subframe made using front mini arms top and bottom and hub assembly, I planned on making an arm to come off my steeering arm to the frame with a lateral link for tracking the rear end of the car, but no matter what I do I'm getting bump steer, granted I'm moving the wheel in a fair ark but getting this very early on, can any body help me or advise, I think I seen a mini based kit using a similar set up but mr google isn't helping me today.
Old 26-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
fuzzy-hair-man

I guess the simplest suggestion would be to create a mounting / tracking rod that emulates the steering rack in the straight ahead position. If you use the mini steering arms then the adjustability of these is how you'd alter tracking just as you'd do on the front...?

A more complicated answer is that the top and bottom arms of the mini suspension describe 2 arcs the steering arm link you're putting in needs to describe a third arc that is sort of an average of these arcs depending on where it comes off the hub. Ie as the steering arm is near the top of the hub it's arc and mounting point will look more like the top arm.

There was a section in project binky on how to dial out bumpsteer once you had started relocating steering racks etc.

A photo of what your doing would help. All the above is assuming I understand this correctly myself which isn't necessarily correct...
fuzzy-hair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Phaeton

Have a look at this post on Muddybuggies it's actually about fitting disc brakes on the rear using a front subframe but it shows how the steering lock-outs work.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Starmag

Make: Honda

You need these from Roassabits:

http://www.gtmdrivers.com/forum/lock...ing-t2195.html
Starmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Phaeton

Friend of mine has the 200 set-up (might be more now) not a lot of difference & he knocked out both rose joints in less than a year.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
fuzzy-hair-man

The rack ends don't wear out that quickly I'd be surprised if you couldn't arrange something were they mounted up similarly to the suggested setups and a boot to stop any dust and dirt...
fuzzy-hair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Muffyvaux

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt

I use the rossabitz rear arms on my mini and I highly rate them. I was going to make the setup myself but then I found a off the shelf setup it was a massive time saver
I might have some pictures in my build diary or they might have been lost when the site went down.

Ben
Muffyvaux is offline   Reply With Quote