Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
PaulW

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800cc
Make: Other
ECU: Megasquirt MX5 Pnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossierick View Post
Hi paul, it says at the top page minimum requirement is cds for the cage, how would i get on with the spaceframe??

Do they check things like that on every event or is it just luck of the draw when there checking things.

Thanks rick
now then glass back

Whats your frame made out of Rick?

They don't actually check the frame material but just from a personal safety point i would want the security of CDS tube. There are a few drivers out of the club that have ended up on there roofs which is probably testament to the strength of there cage and build.

Are you thinking of coming sprinting Rick?

Paul
PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
cossierick

Yes paul would love to, am just struggling with my frame spec, everything else would pass ,eg seat, harnesses, extinguisher.

Initialy many moons ago it was just going to be a laugh so the material wasnt important, now the closer it gets finished (i was acctually driving it the other day) the more race specific it is and would love to hillclimb it.

rick

ps i am trying to get to watch you, just struggling with the back
cossierick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
PaulW

CC: 1800cc
Make: Other
ECU: Megasquirt MX5 Pnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossierick View Post
Yes paul would love to, am just struggling with my frame spec, everything else would pass ,eg seat, harnesses, extinguisher.

Initialy many moons ago it was just going to be a laugh so the material wasnt important, now the closer it gets finished (i was acctually driving it the other day) the more race specific it is and would love to hillclimb it.

rick

ps i am trying to get to watch you, just struggling with the back
I might pop over Rick one day and have a look if thats ok? Spectating events are done for this year i think. You could do worse than join the RAFMSA for next year. Cheap as chips and a cracking days racing.

Paul
PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #19
Andy_S

Subframe: AMT
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt ... kinda

A spaceframed Mini is no problem as long as it passes the safety requirements, but it would be best if you try & deciphre the 'blue book' for the regs and make changes to your car accordingly.
http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/conten...p?category=528

Once you think you've got the car sorted, then you'll need to get it 'log booked' for sprints/hillclimbs and an MSA technical type will do this. He should then advise you of any additional items which need sorting.

At an MSA event, the scrutineers will check to make sure that your car complies with the Sports Libre requirements & all other general safety features applicable to your vehicle, but this should be no prob because you'll have received good advice from the MSA inspector for the log book.
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
cossierick

Thanks for that andy, ive got a copy of last years blue book , i no its not to be taken as gospal as it changes every year but decifering it is hard enough.

Paul, im off work at the moment, been layed up for last few days, i will let you no wen im back , so if you could pop over then that would be great.

rick
cossierick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
CH007

CC: 4000
Make: Toyota

The more I follow this the more I fancy just building my car for race spec as opposed to road going.

I will be FWD R1 engined so assumes this puts me in this class?

Also with regards to cage, mine is welded 38mm CDS from fabricage then welded by me (6 Point double diagonal at back with door bars and dash rail) will this be acceptable please? I didnt buy certified tubing from fabricage as wasn't planning to race just trackdays etc.

I am assuming if I go 6 point it would be worth welding in harness bar before I spray inside of car?

Any help much appreciated

Colin
CH007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
Andy_S

We have an Overall Championship winner & then this is split for fastest FWD & also RWD/4WD grouped together.

FWD R1 Engined would be cool to see racing

I don't think you need to show a certificate for your rollcage, but if a Scrutineer were to be picky then you might have to find some means of proving that it's made from 2.5mm wall CDS tubing. If your welding neat then that will not be questioned by anyone. You current cage layout is being used by a few of the guys & the scrutineers haven't objected to this layout so far.

There are some horrible ambiguities in the 'Blue Book' regards roll cages, but when you take your car to be log booked the MSA chap should hopefully clarify things. It would only be a case of fitting an extra diagonal in the main hoop & that would simply add to your current layout.

6 Point Harness is mandatory for Libre class vehicles & most of us use some sort of harness bar to fasten the shoulder straps.

This sprint hillclimb comedy is a serious amount of fun ....... a tiny bit expensive when we reach the limits of our driving ability or build strength of our cars ........ and totally adictive.
Old 29-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_S View Post
This sprint hillclimb comedy is a serious amount of fun ....... a tiny bit expensive when we reach the limits of our driving ability or build strength of our cars ........ and totally adictive.
Tempted....

How do you think we would do in Pete's car ?

Lots of wheelspin and 10 miles to the gearbox

www.spiyda.com www.screwbank.com
Spiyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
CH007

CC: 4000
Make: Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_S View Post
We have an Overall Championship winner & then this is split for fastest FWD & also RWD/4WD grouped together.

FWD R1 Engined would be cool to see racing

I don't think you need to show a certificate for your rollcage, but if a Scrutineer were to be picky then you might have to find some means of proving that it's made from 2.5mm wall CDS tubing. If your welding neat then that will not be questioned by anyone. You current cage layout is being used by a few of the guys & the scrutineers haven't objected to this layout so far.

There are some horrible ambiguities in the 'Blue Book' regards roll cages, but when you take your car to be log booked the MSA chap should hopefully clarify things. It would only be a case of fitting an extra diagonal in the main hoop & that would simply add to your current layout.

6 Point Harness is mandatory for Libre class vehicles & most of us use some sort of harness bar to fasten the shoulder straps.

Well I am sure if I spoke to fabricage they would provide proof of it being CDS even if it means a small charge (they were very helpful when deciding on cage) I have a sticker from fabricage surely thats proof enough

I will have a look at peoples harness bars and rob a design.

It sounds like this could be a right laugh and also give me a bit of motivation with a design and use to aim for along with a date
CH007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Andy_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH007 View Post
I have a sticker from fabricage surely thats proof enough.
Most of the time the scrutineers work on the basis that if it looks right, then it's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiyda View Post
Tempted....
How do you think we would do in Pete's car ?
Lots of wheelspin and 10 miles to the gearbox
Dunno how a supercharged FWD Mini behaves, but Dad & lad racing together will be loads of fun ...... if the car misbehaves, then you have an excuse to make lots more modifications.
Old 30-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Pete D16

CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: standard

[QUOTE=Andy_S;216019]Most of the time the scrutineers work on the basis that if it looks right, then it's right.

I'd second that.

Also, if you're thinking of competing take a look at DEWSC.org, i joined their club/speed series and had a great first season.