16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 19-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
adami1991

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
Talking Out with the 'A' and in with the ''K' with allspeed subframe!

Hi all that are taking the time to read this
I've been lurking on this forum for a while both as a member and non member, getting ideas etc for my build and have now decided to crack on!
I'll start by bringing everyone up to speed, I've owned my mini since I was 16 (am 23 now) and set about making her roadworthy, needed new front wing, a panel and various patches for mot and had her on the road for a few years, until i hit the inevitable part of wanting more power etc. So it was fitted with a stage one kit, Twin hs4 carbs and a mildly modified head with roller rockers, Eventually though i blew the head gasket and took quite a large chunk of the block with it .
So i managed to source another A series that had a recent rebuild by ivor seale and fitted that to it and ran it for a few months and got to the point of wanting more power again in the mini .

Picture of mini, although a very recent one as I have no others on my computer of when i first got it
Then came time for a more practical car altogether when an mg zr 160 came up for offer at work when the customer who owned it didnt want to pay for the head gasket work we had done so our garage 'acquired' it.
I used the mg for a year or two and then tried selling it as i wanted something a bit more sensible however noone wanted to give more than 4-500 quid in clean and reliable condition with fairly low miles!
So this is how the mg looked when I'd finished 'tinkering' with it.

Then i decided i wasnt gonna get much for the zr as a car so decided i was gonna bung the engine in the mini and sell what i could, which is the stage im at now
So i pulled the engine out of the mini

And then i moved the mini in to the garage and cut its front end off, have got pics on my phone and will upload them when i get a chance, Ill also take a photo of the allspeed subframe at some point that i got for it as i'd rather something that houses the engine and suspension etc to be made by someone with better welding skills than my self and hopefully should remove a few of the headaches as well! (famous last words haha)
Any ways thats about it for now and im sorry if people have got bored of reading this far
But ill try and post progress up as soon as get any done which hopefully should be a fair bit other the winter months
Thanks for reading
Adam

and the zr's engine is ready to take out but i havent got room to put it in the garage so need to make a space for that hopefully over this weekend
adami1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Bram

Looking good your doing the exact same swap as me even your zr is the same colour. I ll be keeping an eye on this project.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
adami1991

thanks for the reply, are you also using the allspeed frame?

and i went out to the garage to get a few more pics of where the project stands at the min.
This is the mini as it stands now

Allspeed subframe still on its pallet

Black diamond clutch and flywheel for an r65 box

R65 box out of a a 1.1 metro
Old 20-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Bram

Yeah I am using the allspeed frame too but keeping the pg1 box.
Old 20-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
adami1991

Ah right cool I'm hoping by using the 1.1 box to keep it fairly quiet at dual carriageway and motorway speeds, have you got a build thread?
Old 20-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Bram

No not yet I keep thinking about it but never seem to get around to it. Stuck doing body work at the moment, whats your shell like have you got many repairs to make?
Old 20-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
adami1991

Shells fairly solid although got holes in one of the rear bins that needs doing and a few places that have been repaired before but ideally need doing again properly as now the front end is off the questionable repairs are more obvious on the inner wheel arches
Old 26-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
adami1991

new allspeed lower arms, i know not necessary however at least its all direct fit and i cant bring my self to drill out the hole in a brand new subframe :/

Old 27-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
adami1991

so i managed to whip the k series out of the zr

And then started to see how it could look in the mini

Old 27-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
adami1991

Haven't updated this in a while but tbh not much progress but none the less, made a gearlinkage box and got that welded in place.
Hole cut in bulkhead, The welds aren't the prettiest but are more than up to the job

Box made

Welded in and primed and seam sealed

Then I rubbed down the allspeed subframe so I could coat it in an extra layer of stone chip for more protection and I would recommend everyone to do this with the allspeed subframes as mine came painted but the paint wasn't particularly thick.

And today a box of delight turned up

With lots of goodies inside

That's about it for now but hopefully over the weekend I'll get the cones in the subframe after rebuilding the top arms.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
idris

Is the ZR160 engine the 1.6 that Allspeed say the frame is designed for?

I've no experience to base this on, but my concern with the bulkhead mod is that the box will be a trap for moisture and crud … and then rust. (Hopefully someone who knows better will correct me.)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
Is the ZR160 engine the 1.6 that Allspeed say the frame is designed for?

I've no experience to base this on, but my concern with the bulkhead mod is that the box will be a trap for moisture and crud and then rust. (Hopefully someone who knows better will correct me.)

ZR160 engine is a 1.8 VVC, Allspeed website says they will only guarantee the fitment of the 1.6 and a R65 gearbox but all Rover K series are the same block so are all the same size and the PG1 had been proven to fit with the correct mounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
InstantCustard

Does the Allspeed frame require the bulkhead mod?
The PG1 has quite a low linkage compared to the Vauxhall gearboxes, which has a tower right on top of the box which is why they all use am internal linkage with a bulkhead mod.
Quote:
I love it
Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
adami1991

Thanks for all the replies, yeah the bulkhead modification is required when using the r65 gearbox, it is possible I've heard that the pg1 box can be used with the right gearbox mount as well. And yes all k series engines will fit the allspeed frame the only difference being the Vvc engines have a bigger metal inlet manifold so the area near the brake and clutch master cylinders needs minor modification. Also In regards to the box collecting dirt and water etc I'm hoping to prevent it rotting out etc as I've given it a couple of coats inside and out with some seam sealer and then going to give it a few coats of stone chip as well.
Many thanks Adam
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
InstantCustard

Sounds like a plan, I can highly recommend the use of POR15 for the bulkhead box, stuffs almost bulletproof, it will mean you can forget about any problems with that area then.
Quote:
I love it