16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 17-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #91
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

You can get new end's of the gear change mech of flea bay or from rimmer bros, not to hard to change either

Last edited by gadget555; 03-04-2017 at 05:13 AM.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #92
richh999

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: standard

Ah thanks gadget, I'll find some and order them as I think they need to be replaced really.. Didn't look to hard to change from a glimpse but then knowing this car it'll take a couple of days.. ha

So ordered quite a few parts that were needed for the car, this included rear wheel bearings and ball joints, CV gaiters, new rear brakes, rear brake rebuild kit, brake paint, 2 10" radiator fans a coolant hose elbow and a few tubes of tiger seal and then a load of missing mini specific bits from AGoaty..

Hopefully that's all I need for barkston now just time to put the car back together and finish the last little bits.. I worked out about 20/25hours worth and I need to finish my Uni Dissertation first.. :/

Here's the rebuilt and painted brake calipers..

Old 25-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #93
richh999

So been home for a little bit but the recent pineapple weather has made working on the mini uninviting and as I wasn't going to make barkston I thought I should complete the mini a bit more rather than just putting what I have together.

This however has left me in a stat where not sure what to do.. :s

Well done a few odd jobs with wiring and sealing gaps with tigerseal.
Had a slight issue with the slimline fans I got and that is there's not quite enough space.
Anyone with a tig welder willing to modify my ally fuel tank a bit?? I'll compensate you for it..

Need some event to get me motivated to finish it by now.. hmmmm..
Old 30-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #94
richh999

So not much has been done to the car since April due to finishing uni and starting a job straight away and not having any weekends free over the summer..

Well I did some work last weekend on it. Put the rear subframe back in properly lined up, welded a small amount of little bits that needed doing.

Fitted the hubs and driveshafts back on, replaced one wheel bearing and got one new hub, seized bearing inside, replaced the cv boots too.

Started on body work properly too, put quite alot of filler on the arches and also the front end but definitely looking better now.

Just now need to do a load of sanding and fibreglassing and a few other little bits and pieces..
Old 31-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #95
ivanhoew

nice work rich ,well done.

robert.
ivanhoew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #96
gadget555

ECU: K maps 160 Race

Looking good Rich ! shouldn't be too long now
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #97
minidarren83

ECU: Standard

Good to see your back at it
minidarren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #98
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

I don't see many of the goodies from the big box I sent you on there yet...

Will be great when you get time to get back on it!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #99
richh999

So I haven't updated this in a while, I know we lost a loads in the crash however I hadn't posted much on here that got lost.

I'll end up using most of the parts that you sent me once paint is on.

I have once again however got into trying to get some of this done again. I wont have much time this summer to work on it either but I'll try an occasional weekend at some point. I'm also think about building a proper garage with a 2 post lift in and have a decent workshop.

Now for a little update, Not sure really what I had posted that I've lost so an overall update I guess. Means some pictures I guess too..

So I've moved the battery to the centre of the front so that I can use the standard wiper motor in its original position so I wont have to modify one.

I ended up just putting what I had done together to get a driving car so that I could drive it to get some motivation and then just do little bits here and there on it.

So to get the car driving I replaced the gear ends with a couple of new ones brought off of the bay, these were really easy to swap over. after driving I think they may need a little adjustment as 2nd, 4th and reverse are quite difficult to get to. I also had to modify the hole I had neatly drilled for the gear lever to make it bigger, it's not so neat now. .

Did a load of bodywork and tidying up and wiring and just bits a pieces.. Got it running and together so here's a pic of it driving, you can see a birds nest of wiring on the front. Drove it around some parkland on the farm.

After a little while I heard a knocking noise from the back and thought I'll pull up in front of the house in a bit to just suddenly feel the back end drop, and look to my left to see my rear wheel overtaking me. It travelled a good 250m ahead of me. Turned out that I had only put 2 nuts on the wheels the night before in a rush to get it on its wheels.

This was the result, it could have been worse but had only ripped the arch off. tigersealed it back on and added some filler and will reshape it back in to the body.

I have never been happy with trying to fit my fibreglass front end.. It's second hand and the previous owner had kinda butchered it.. I've added fibreglass and filler on it and will cut it back to shape..

I need to get some dimensions to make sure it lines up right and is the right size.
If anyone can help with this that would be great, I'll post it in another thread but if anyone knows the dimensions of the red lines that would be great. Basically from the floor to the gutter front a rear and also to the top of the wing above the headlight would be great.

Sorry for not having more pictures, will try to get more next time, shame not much is happening, mainly bodywork at the moment.. Maybe paint in the near future.

Have a video I'll post later of the mini driving.
Old 14-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #100
richh999

Video time as everyone loves videos.

Just a couple of short videos of me driving around, being a little silly..
In the first couple I didn't have much fuel in the tank hence the fuel pump whine and then in the second the gopro was lose in its case so its rattling like crazy..

Enjoy

Last edited by richh999; 15-06-2016 at 06:39 PM. Reason: 14659
richh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 02:42 AM   #101
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

good stuff Richie,, 16v track day at yours,?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #102
richh999

So not a huge amount to add but I thought I should mention that this project isn't dead. I actually worked on the mini a little bit over the last couple weekends when I could.

It'll be very slow progress in future for a while I imagine but I will persevere.

So I did a little more bodywork, the rear arches are almost blended in now. Still a lot of sanding to go.

Did a small amount of work to the coolant system and have taken out where the heater take offs would be and put a straight through pipe there.
I may have a sticky thermostat or seized water pump or loads of air in system too. Need to look into it.

Wired up the front end lights, had some issues with a front indicator but got it sorted after a while. Wired up the brake switch and all the brake lights so now have all working lights.

Have an issue with only having full beams and no low beams. Using mini lights, MGF loom and MGF switches. When I turn the switch to low the high beams come on, blue light on the dash and when I flight the high beam switch nothing happens. If I have just side lights on though and hit the high beam switch it flashes..

Any help would be great.. Thanks..

Last edited by richh999; 02-04-2017 at 08:13 PM.
richh999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.8vvc, mgf, rwd, vvc