16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 27-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #406
richie08

Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems

Great to hear you're still enjoying it Adrian, and yes that loud pedal certainly goes, lol.

The gearbox is a metro gti r65 box that i got from another 16v club member, instead of fitting the rover 414 box from the donor car which would have had worse ratios. I think 1.1 metro ratios are better still?

Keep us updated in any case, always nice to see from pics or videos every now and again.

I miss the car already, but my new mini project is a matter of weeks from being on the road now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #407
niannorth

Richie, did you ever have any engine stop leak in there or could there have been traces in the expansion tank you put on? Just noticed some gold flecks (all very small and equal size so not worried they are from the engine) in the expansion tank, there weren't any in the fluid that leaked out the pipe so I just thought they may have come from the expansion vessel.

The little black beastie looks good.
niannorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #408
richie08

Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
ECU: Rover mems

Quote:
Originally Posted by niannorth View Post
Richie, did you ever have any engine stop leak in there or could there have been traces in the expansion tank you put on? Just noticed some gold flecks (all very small and equal size so not worried they are from the engine) in the expansion tank, there weren't any in the fluid that leaked out the pipe so I just thought they may have come from the expansion vessel.
When i replaced the expansion tank, the used one that i installed had some residue of the stop leak type stuff in there. I thought i got it all out but obv not. Definitely havent used any on the new vvc engine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #409
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Gearbox ratio selection keeps coming up as a topic as most people who do these conversions, don't consider the use of the Mini. Low, close ratio boxes are great for track or racing. High, wide ratio boxes are great for cruising, long journeys. Finding a compromise for those who do both (me included) can be a challenge.

Use this (hope the link works).

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-...l_ratio_teeths[]=&final_ratio_teeths[]=&fdr=3.7&diameter=552.2&ratio[1]=3.417&ratio[2]=1.947&ratio[3]=1.333&ratio[4]=1.104&ratio[5]=.854&ratio[6]=&speed_in=mph&width=185&profile=60&wheel_diameter =13&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=

The R65 ratios are:-

1 3.417
2 1.947
3 1.333
4 1.104
5 0.854

Final drives.
Normal = 3.5:1
Close = 3.7:1 (GTi/GTa & R216)
R214 = 3.9:1

So you could swap to a 1.1 Metro box and get the 3.5FD. It will drop the revs about 200rpm at 70mph. That's not really a great amount for all the work involved.

I have to say though, Phoenix is much lower geared then this and I think it's great. I did exactly what you are talking about and swapped back as it hurt the acceleration too much. I personally think adding the sound deadening first is the best option.

Last edited by AGoaty; 27-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #410
niannorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
Gearbox ratio selection keeps coming up as a topic as most people who do these conversions, don't consider the use of the Mini. Low, close ratio boxes are great for track or racing. High, wide ratio boxes are great for cruising, long journeys. Finding a compromise for those who do both (me included) can be a challenge.

Use this (hope the link works).

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-...l_ratio_teeths[]=&final_ratio_teeths[]=&fdr=3.7&diameter=552.2&ratio[1]=3.417&ratio[2]=1.947&ratio[3]=1.333&ratio[4]=1.104&ratio[5]=.854&ratio[6]=&speed_in=mph&width=185&profile=60&wheel_diameter =13&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=

The R65 ratios are:-

1 3.417
2 1.947
3 1.333
4 1.104
5 0.854

Final drives.
Normal = 3.5:1
Close = 3.7:1 (GTi/GTa & R216)
R214 = 3.9:1

So you could swap to a 1.1 Metro box and get the 3.5FD. It will drop the revs about 200rpm at 70mph. That's not really a great amount for all the work involved.

I have to say though, Phoenix is much lower geared then this and I think it's great. I did exactly what you are talking about and swapped back as it hurt the acceleration too much. I personally think adding the sound deadening first is the best option.
Cheers, that's a great tool. It has been suggested that the Saxo 5th with a 0.767 ratio (I think) might give the cruising gear I'm after, but as you say I need to decide if it is worth all the effort.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #411
niannorth

I discovered yesterday at exactly what point on the fuel gauge the tank is empty! Luckily I had a gallon in the back, unluckily I had put the funnel to the other petrol can in the car. Heath Robinson took over and we were soon on our way again.

I also noticed the engine was a little more 'ticky' than it had been, on checking the oil was very low (must have a slight leak) but all topped up now and back to being its normal self. So another little task to check when the weather is better. But I need to keep a better eye on the level. The warning light had not come on but I don't know if it would anyway.

Last edited by niannorth; 04-05-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #412
Yellow

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8VVC
ECU: Rover MEMS3 with Kmaps upgrade

Think it's a pressure sensor rather than a level sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #413
niannorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
Think it's a pressure sensor rather than a level sensor

At least that means that there was sufficient pressure (fingers crossed).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #414
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Yellow is correct, itís a pressure sensor rather than a level sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #415
niannorth

Car laid up again with a snapped gear linkage. I think I need to take the whole thing off and weld it up properly.

Last edited by niannorth; 23-05-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 24-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #416
AGoaty

I did this on the car and lasted only a short time. The truth is it comes off really easy. Do it off the car. A far better job.
Old 28-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #417
niannorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
I did this on the car and lasted only a short time. The truth is it comes off really easy. Do it off the car. A far better job.
In what world does that happen? Been on ages trying to get the second ball joint to "come apart with a flat headed screw driver" stopped for a cuppa to regroup!

Old 28-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #418
AGoaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by niannorth View Post
In what world does that happen? Been on ages trying to get the second ball joint to "come apart with a flat headed screw driver" stopped for a cuppa to regroup!

What on earth are you taking off? Why take the ball joints off for the gear linkage???

Even so, I bought a scissor type ball joint splitter for a tenner off eBay. Makes life very easy and doesn't damage the rubber boots.
Old 28-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #419
niannorth

No it's those little pop off joints on the linkage. Got it sorted now. I was trying to separate one that wasn't supposed to come apart doh!

I cut the thick tube out that was snapped and replaced it with some thick threaded bar I had spare, heated it and bent it to fit. Shortened the other thinner bar as the gear stick was too far forward. Richie had the rubber gear stick mount inside the car with the rods angling down through the hole, managed to mount it on the underside and touch wood it works and the gear stick is in a more 'normal' attitude.

Tried to get the engine change recorded but they sent the v5 back as apparently you have to tax it at the new rate first. Not that it says that on the web site.

Last edited by niannorth; 28-05-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #420
AGoaty

Glad you sorted the linkage.

The V5 is a ball ache to change. You can do it at a tax post office but they still send it off to the DVLA to get it done.

On the plus side, you only have 2 years and it can be registered as historic so free tax even with the bigger engine.