16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 16-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Bennjamini

Default Betty Growler - B18C4 build

I've had this mini since 2006:

It's a 94 Rover Sprite 1275, one of the last carburettor models made

Drove it for a year and a half, and thrashed it too much, front tear mounts droppedm off bhut I kep on driving it - the fornt end used to rise up under acceleration but I just didn't care at the time

It was in this time that she was named Betty Growler by a couple of lads I knew who gave it that name from the noise the twin DTM exhaust made

Anyway come January 2008 the head gasket went so I put her in the garage... and she hasn't come out since!

Found rust all over it, the front floor pans, outer sills, front panel, boot floor and several holes in between and ove rthe years have been gradually learning to weld and replaced all that needed replacing with new panels or sheet steel.

looks like this now:

Decided a couple of weeks ago to really go for the B18C4 allspeed conversion

Found this last weekend:

Have ordered the allspeed kit, and waiting for delivery in mid April.

Going to start removing the wiring between today/tomorrow, marking each connection/plug as I go, still very nervous about the wiring (please nobody link wanago's diagram to me anymore, It's not helpful to me as I don't understand it yet!)

Plans are to keep it as simple as possible, to use all Honda wiring, ECU maybe even ignition and clocks just to get it running in the mini for now.

Mini needs further body work - includign reinforcing the front floor subframe mounts and finish tubbing the arch's as I have just managed to finish one so far -

Rollcage will be coming next, along with some bucket seats.

Eventually I hope to upgrade the final drive to the 3.4 and fit a Hondata ECU and ITB's and get it set up properly, with the intention of hitting Santa pod in years to come.

Constructive critisicm welcome!

Thanks for looking
Bennjamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
minisprint

Subframe: Other
CC: 2000
Make: Honda
ECU: hoping hondata

Looks a great project !
minisprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
miniphil30

CC: 1800
ECU: Erm none yet

Wow its like deja vu! Mine too was on its side on a mattress and I've only done the passenger arch tub so far. Similar colour! Looks great keep the pics coming. Starting mine tonight and just uploading to photobuckety thing. I shouldn't be far behind you.
miniphil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Bennjamini

Just hope I don't lose inspiration!

hungover to death at moment so can't do anything today :P

Yes Miniphil get yours on here - Found out about the guy who makes conversion harness', and if I trust it enough I might take the easy way out and buy one ready made if possible - I know that makes me a sellout right? :P
Old 17-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
miniphil30

Nothings a sell out to do with wiring! Started my build its Minimorph. Got a lot to catch up on but we're at about the same stage. Where abouts are you? Can compare notes and help each other out
Old 17-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
miniphil30

Betty Growler
Sounds like a northern name
Old 17-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Bennjamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphil30 View Post
Nothings a sell out to do with wiring! Started my build its Minimorph. Got a lot to catch up on but we're at about the same stage. Where abouts are you? Can compare notes and help each other out
Wrexham Nr Chester, probably about an hour/half from sheffield?

would welcome it - two heads better than one and all that
Old 17-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Bennjamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphil30 View Post
Betty Growler
Sounds like a northern name
Aye
Old 18-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Brumski

Subframe: MTB
ECU: Mini Tec uprated Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennjamini View Post
Wrexham Nr Chester, probably about an hour/half from sheffield?

would welcome it - two heads better than one and all that
Just down the road from me in Warrington...
Brumski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Bennjamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumski View Post
Just down the road from me in Warrington...
I would've passed through Warrington with the aerodeck the other day - got it from Burnley... what a lovely place that was......

Well if you ever fancied a day out in your car, North Wales has some of the nicest driving roads I've ever been on, and can pop in to mine on way so I can blag you with wiring and fuel pump questions :P
Old 20-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Bennjamini

this is something I did last year, I always thought the jacking points on the mini were useless, so you tend to use other points to jack up, like the floor and it inevitabley gets damaged,

So whilst repairing the sills I also added these small pieces of box section, one on each corner -

Strength shouldnt be a problem as the sill is supported behind that

Looks a little messy and will be obvious when finished, but Should be easier to jack up using a trolley jack without causing any damage to the floors
Old 20-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Bennjamini

Had a day off today and made a start on tubbing the remaining rear arch -

Here it is before

removed paint first (can't see black marker on black paint!)

Then marked out using depth guage, measuring the depth at which the inside of the arch begins to drop to meet the quarter panel, did this at 2" intervals around the arch and drew a line through with marker -

Also marked the inside of the arch, started from the point furthest in, at the top of the inner arch - about 3cms or so in from the outer lip and marked it with a ruler right around the inside -

Then with a a 10mm drill bit and a jigsaw cut the line on the quarter panel, then using a grinder cut the inner arch, and joined the cuts to remove most of the arch lip -

Then tidied the edge's up with tin snips (some decent new ones, makes so much difference)

Here is a shot looking up from the floor - see I've already had to patch this bit!!

measured out a piece of sheet steel (1.5mm) to fit in the arch and trial fitted -

cut notch for the tab where the rear firewall intersects with the arch from the inside of the car -

Also used a swage tool to make a step 1cm deep, about 1.5mm high, and fitted the panel into the arch - needed some persuasion with the ol' twatting stick but once in a place I thought good enough, began to tack weld the inner bit first -

Then started tacking the quarter panel to the sheet, used a block of wood to close any gaps before putting a tack in place -

And unfortunately that's it that's as far as I got today before I got hungry and went in for tea

Will be sure to finish tomorrow, do not want to let the rust kick in
Old 21-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
fatmat25

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800cc
ECU: standard for the mo

do you know what i think were all in a similar boat works looking good just started stripping my aerodeck i'm only round the corner from you benji live in chesterfield doing exactly the same engine swap. 15 mins away ish
fatmat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Bennjamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat25 View Post
do you know what i think were all in a similar boat works looking good just started stripping my aerodeck i'm only round the corner from you benji live in chesterfield doing exactly the same engine swap. 15 mins away ish
Good stuff - come give us a bloody hand then!!

haha

I'm about to strip the aerodeck possibly this weekend if I have the time,

Nice to hear of someone else doing the same thing, let me know how you get on with yours matey
Old 21-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
fatmat25

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800cc
ECU: standard for the mo

will do pal took front end off mine last night should have the engine and box out over the weekend, not got a build thread up yet will have to do one i keep meaning to. shell looks good
fatmat25 is offline   Reply With Quote