16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Non Mini Builds

Old 14-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
mm man

Default Mg metro no spark from coil ?... Help daily drive

I am running a mg metro motor A+ as a daily drive it started and ran fine last night but this morning it won't start . It turns over fine so I took the ht lead off of the distributor and left the other end connnected to the coil and put it to the engine block turned it over and nothing . So I guessed the coil was dead so I've gone and got a new one connected it up and nothing?? No spark ? So I checked the positive wire to the coil with the ignition on and 12 .5 volts .the negative wire the same when off the coil and nothing , when it's connected to the coil with the ignition on also 12.5 v . Thinking I had a problem with the new coil I fitted it to my other mini and it worked fine .
On the metro motor I am running electronic distributor and to be honest don't really understand them so I disconnected that side of things just in case ? I then only had the two wires from the lume +& - to the coil so no amplifier and still no spark ?From the coil ? I also tried the ht lead on the other mini and it was fine .
So what next ?
I am at a total loss as what to do next ? I guess there must be a issue with the coil wires ? How do I check this ?
Could there be a issue with the ignition switch ? Or am I missing something else ?
After 4 hours in the dark and cold I am hoping that some one can steer me in the right direction before the hammers come out !
mm man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
pompeyal

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Honda

How's the engine earth, check that out first, I think I am right in saying that the coil alone will not generate a HT spark without the LT side which is generated though the distributor, if there is a problem with the electronic distributor no HT will be generated. Is the distributor shaft rotating, if not there will be no sensing signal sent to the electronics therefore will be no trigger for the HT. Is the electronic distributor an after market one, they have been known to fail. If it is an after market one depending on the make you can revert the distributor back to points and condenser, that may be worth a try.
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
mm man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyal View Post
How's the engine earth, check that out first, I think I am right in saying that the coil alone will not generate a HT spark without the LT side which is generated though the distributor, if there is a problem with the electronic distributor no HT will be generated. Is the distributor shaft rotating, if not there will be no sensing signal sent to the electronics therefore will be no trigger for the HT. Is the electronic distributor an after market one, they have been known to fail. If it is an after market one depending on the make you can revert the distributor back to points and condenser, that may be worth a try.
Thanks very much for your help it now sorted and it turned out to be the black ampifier module on the side of the std mg metro distributor had broken down so not allowing the coil to switch
Thanks again
mm man is offline   Reply With Quote