Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race
Default Thorn in my side with VVC

Hi I have been on here for a while so I thought I should start a build log, I have had the project just over 2 years the previous owner had it over 3. It had a 1.6 engine with an r65 box, watsons front subframe, solid metro disc's, mini rack with extensions. I managed to get a complete MPI tank the other month just waiting for my brother to bring it up when he visits next month, the shell itself wasn't in too bad condition it needed a o/s/r 1/4 a few patches on the floor both inside and in the boot the rear arches have been tubbed and the n/s scuttle has also been replaced.
The servo has been relocated to the n/s a la Gazwad design which has worked out very well the front disc's have been changed to vented ones from a mg tf the rears have 3/4" cylinders and minifin drums, all bushes and suspension pins have been uprated or changed for new ones, new watsons rear space. I decided to change the engine for a 1.8 vvc 143 unit and frame that came up in the sale section unfortunately I was sold a dud the engine was fubar and it would of cost to much to repair so I sourced a low milage mg tf 160 from Glasgow so the project got a new hart, coming up for sale soon will be the vvc head and a k series conversion (subframe 1.6 engine r65 box and shortened linkage driveshaft's discs and callipers wilwood pull type clutch slave cylinder manifolds all that you would need towards a conversion).
Also purchased last month was a Torsen lsd uprated bearings and seal's to go into a c6 gearbox I will see how this goes with the 13" metro wheels not to sure on tyre size I could go 175/50/13 but I'm trying to work out if I can fit 175/60/13's if they will fit. At the moment I'm waiting for pay day so I can get some brake and fuel lines, then it will be on with the dreaded wiring my conundrum is that I have a mems 3 engine and all the bits and about 2' of wiring because it came out of a tf it hasn't got any bulkhead plugs so I can't connect it to the loom that came with the other vvc engine as that was mems 1.9 (2j) so will have to try and work it out somehow, sorry for rambling so much I just thought I would bring you up to date as today I have got it back on 4 wheels for the first time in over 5 years here are some photos of how it's gone so far enjoy as it has been a labour of love like most of our projects.

Gadget.

This is what came out of the fist engine that came from the NE of England

Servo link bar mod

1.6 engine and R65 box

Rack extensions £40 from Watsons

gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote