16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 22-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #61
Dopeshow

Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Honda

After what seems like an age, I finally got the underside fully repaired and prepped for primer. Also got the fuel lines and brake pipe routed used cupro nickel for these, spent ages looking for different solutions but ended up opting for P clips in the end as it is never going to be a show car.

Gave it 2 coats of joutan 87, it was a bit cold and I put in on a bit thick, but it will be ok. Going to leave it a few days then will give it 2 coats of Raptor to cover my dodgy welding :

Last edited by Dopeshow; 22-10-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
monkey

CC: 1600
ECU: A box of chips

Looking good buddy!
Old 13-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #63
Dopeshow

In the mean time I decided to refurbish the rear subframe, all was shotblasted and given a coat of etch primer. For the finish coat I used a company called Buzzweld, the guys down there were great and gave me some good adivce. I went for a chassis paint which contained glass flake to make it hard as nails, also the paint is acts as a corrosion inhibitor so we will see how it performs, I went for a satin finsh, gave the frame 3 coats and really happy with the results.

Next step was the raptor coating, the expoy primer was roughed up before the raptor was applied, I dusted a light first coat then layed down a thick second coat using a bog standard underbody coating gun, not 100% happy with the finish but i'm not taking it off and starting again. Once dry the fuel and brake line were fitted.

Last edited by Dopeshow; 13-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 13-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #64
Dopeshow

So my wife had to work the weekend which meant a whole two days on the Mini.

First job was to mount the rear subframe, I used poly bushes and billet subframe mounts. Fuel pies were tight but I have some clearance at least.

The painful task over rolling her over without damaging the underside can next, got a few pairs of hands so it was pretty easy in the end.

Because i am a novice I just took my time and installed the radius arms, shocks, springs ect, all the brake pipes were connected up.

Not happy with the way some of the bolts tightened when I installed the adjustable brackets, so I am going to have to figure a way of getting to these to fix them. I have a feeling I am going to have to drill some holes in the sub frame to get to the welded nuts on the inside. Waiting on new castle nuts for the wheel bearings.

Last edited by Dopeshow; 14-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 20-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #65
monkey

CC: 1600
ECU: A box of chips

Looking good buddy, the raptor stuff looks like it went on great. I went with Upol Gravitex on the underside of my shell and to be honest the finish isn't that great, needs touching up in places.
Old 21-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #66
Mini Vlatko

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: MegaSquirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeshow View Post
Not happy with the way some of the bolts tightened when I installed the adjustable brackets, so I am going to have to figure a way of getting to these to fix them. I have a feeling I am going to have to drill some holes in the sub frame to get to the welded nuts on the inside. Waiting on new castle nuts for the wheel bearings.
I've noticed that same thing, especially on that bottom inner bolt while I was installing KAD rear adjustable brackets...
Three out of four bolts went in with no probs but that fourth is 4-5mm out.
As I was dealing with KAD my suspicion went into subframe and I was right!
The subframe I was installing the brackets on was new aftermarket one and when I tried to install them on genuine subframe, brackets went right on and holes were spot on!
Great buld BTW! Like the pics
Old 26-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #67
Dopeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Looking good buddy, the raptor stuff looks like it went on great. I went with Upol Gravitex on the underside of my shell and to be honest the finish isn't that great, needs touching up in places.
Yeah, really happy with it to be honest. Good stuff, I am going to use it in the engine bay but put it through a normal gun for a smooth finish.