miniphile

Subframe: Other
CC: 2000
Make: Other
ECU: standard nissan ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinxy View Post
love that manifold mate fancy making me one
well TINXY i am heading to the uk early next year so there is a possibility. did you want the hello kitty on them as well?

well i went shopping and got a lot of bits that i didn't have to pay for yet and about half of the stainless bends for the exhaust system out of a scrap bin for 15 dollars (i just know where to shop) i will hopefully have the exhaust flanges on Tuesday next week or it will be next year sometime. as for progress well i continued on the alternator for about 2 hours but as it was 40 degrees c yesterday and even hotter in the shed i decided to give up on that for a day or so but when i get that done (shouldn't take much) then ill put up some pictures.
miniphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Mintegra

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1800
Make: Honda
ECU: JDM OBD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphile View Post
well TINXY i am heading to the uk early next year so there is a possibility. did you want the hello kitty on them as well?

well i went shopping and got a lot of bits that i didn't have to pay for yet and about half of the stainless bends for the exhaust system out of a scrap bin for 15 dollars (i just know where to shop) i will hopefully have the exhaust flanges on Tuesday next week or it will be next year sometime. as for progress well i continued on the alternator for about 2 hours but as it was 40 degrees c yesterday and even hotter in the shed i decided to give up on that for a day or so but when i get that done (shouldn't take much) then ill put up some pictures.
ha ha ha - that is definatly an excuse Ive never used before!.. we dont bother doing anything this time of the year cos its bl00dy freezin!!..

My Build Diary
Mintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #19
miniphile

yeah i flew out of the uk on the 18th of Nov because it was getting a bit cold and flooded. but im not expecting to go back till it defrosts Feb march April?... i am hoping to have my mini done before that happens but there wont be much done for the next 2 weeks come Sunday as ill be spending most of my time at the beach house. Christmas, new years partying it up in 30c+ temps that's what Christmas it about none of that snow and stuff to make it cold (anyone getting jealous???)
miniphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #20
Purtsi

CC: 1300
Make: Suzuki
ECU: Megasquirt
Send a message via MSN to Purtsi

Quote:
Christmas, new years partying it up in 30c+ temps that's what Christmas it about none of that snow and stuff to make it cold (anyone getting jealous???)
Not at all =) This morning it was -17C and snow everywhere. Great weather for riding with bicycle I rather have that than the +42C what I heard is in some parts of Australia. (too bad it's still about -10C in the garage without any heat source )
Old 19-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #21
miniphile

ok i got some time in the shed (for some reason its difficult even while being unemployed) so i have got the alternator brackets finished and now its photo time. last time i left it as a bendy bit of steel so now

i drilled some holes and set about working what spacers i needed

make sure that the plate is sitting square to the belts

belive it or not these where done in a lathe... a verry old one (i could of done a better job in the drill press) but they are only spacers and the main mount for the alternator

and the plate in place with its spacers

the big brace on the back of the engine was in the way

so i modified it (i believe it may be there for supporting the weight of the manifold so i left it in place)

the standard bracket for the power steering pump cut in half and put where it needs to be then joined with some more steel

now that everything fits its time to pretty it up and weld it out

the main bracket got a gusset (the hole was already in the steel before i started the gusset so i just put it in the right place to look good)

add some paint then re attach

i still have not got to the bolt shop to get the short one at the top

and that is how i fitted my alternator i tried to make the brackets look as factory as possible now i just need to get the alternator tested to make sure it still works as it has some crash damage but if it still works fine then ill have to fix the pulley as the teeth have been flattened off and will destroy a new belt pretty quick

tomorrow i am hoping to get a good look at the back end. i took some measurements and found that the tops of the standard struts will be wanting to stick out the sides of the body by about 40 mm so that's the main problem that has been halting progress on the rear chassis, but its not a problem that cant be fixed with fabrication...
Old 21-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
miniphile

just a quick update (no photos for now). i have removed the rear out of the pulsar and taken a template off it, then chopped out the pins that hold the diff cradle welded them into the chassis rails and used the template to get them set in the exact position they need to be. i should get some time on Thursday to finish installing the rear end apart from the McPherson's because they just wont fit and i really don't want to be stretching the body anywhere but the flares. but there will be photos later in the week
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
SteveH

Brilliant build!

I just joined up as I am thinking of a new project and I wanted to do a mini, and I was wondering what the chances are of fitting an SR20 into a mini... you make it look so easy!

Great work mate, keep it up!

Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
tinxy

Subframe: Home Made
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: mbe
Send a message via MSN to tinxy

haha nahh not kitty lol love seeing the enginering in this build pal
tinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
miniphile

hehe whoops i kinda bombed out on that photos next week comment
but thanks for the positive feedback, i have been working pretty solid the last few weeks on the boat and not the mini well i do need funding. but i have been trying to think about how to fix the rear suspension problem (the standard GTI-R geometry and springs puts the spring coil way outside the body and i don't like the idea of putting more lumps in the body than necessary so ill try to find some coil overs that the engineer will like and sign off on. but im going to a swap meet on the weekend and will see what i can find for the project, apart from that i found a dual stage boost controller at a good price...
so that will make its way in to the car when it starts to go back together. will need to get back into it soon and put up some pictures of progress when i find it...
Old 15-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
ludsonline

CC: 3000
Make: Ford

Thats some wicked fabrication m8. A top build...
Old 22-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
miniphile

finally time for an update i know its been a month and i have been getting annoyed about the lack of time getting to work on the mini so i have decided to have 2 days on it before i go back to earning some money.
well i decided that i had got as far as i could with the front end and nothing else could be done till i have made my extractors so while i wait for the sheet metal place to cut out the new flanges for the headers and turbo i would have a go at the rear end.
the original plan was to use some bloody big bolts to hold the rear end in to the chassis they where not really an attractive option so i went for something a little more factory

so i took the welder and grinder for a trip out of the shed, with the long dry grass on a 40c deg day... so i also found a hose to wet the area down a bit

this is the bit i needed

weld in a brace so the towers stay in the right position

then cut it all out. so glad when i was finished that part that nothing had caught fire especially cause the GTI-R shell is kinda a storage shed for all the interior parts that ill be using later

and this is the bit i need 4 of them in total. i wire brushed them up so that i got a good fit for the jig i was about to make

well the jig pics up the four bolt positions and two of the bolt holes for the strut tower (that's why it needed the brace)

this is the main problem that i have been trying to figure out for a while. the suspension in the rear does not fit inside the body by a lot and i don't want the extra bumps in the side's so i have a few options that i'm looking into. so it wont quite be back on its wheels yet (it has been off them for 10 years so whats a bit more time)

the four pins are out but need a bit more prep work before they go to there new home

in the chassis rail

then put in the jig to be tacked into the exact position required

then the cut out put back in and everything welded ground and sanded up all neat and tidy

the two finished rails ready for another session in the jig

then braced together so that they cant move

the diff cradel was lifted to the right hight then leveled out then finally squared to the body then the new rails placed into position ready to be fixed to the body

cardboard templates make life easy then i checked the template on the other side and it fitted even better so time for the steel

everything in its place with minimal offcuts

tacked together but ready to be removed

now i can weld and clean all the sides that i cant get to while its in the car then put it back and weld it in properly. oh yeah this is a big odd shape because it is going to support the main roll hoop and the seat belt reel.

the rear was a lot easier just two bits of 75x50x3 and a strip of 75x3 flat to tie it into the body

by this stage it was a bit to late in the night to be grinding and welding so i found another part that i had collected way back last may and started prepping that. it is the spare wheel well out of a ford falcon the edges are the perfect shape for the inside of the rear wheel tubs and it is 650 mm diameter so it will fit big wheels but i may need to lift the flares up higher than i want to to cover the suspension but on the bright side i can make the car lower with bigger wheels and not scrub the guards.

so tomorrow will be spent on the mini as well finishing off the rear chassis rails and starting on the tubs so there might even be another update tomorrow but i'm not going to make claims about that again...

oh yeah when i was trying to get the wheel well out the GTI-R dash that came from the pulsar (that was in perfect condition to good to cut up) that i was going to find a damaged replacement to cut up and recoup some costs well it fell on some steel and got damaged so now there is no reason not to cut it up so the interior may be coming up soon on the build while i am waiting for other parts.
Old 23-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #28
strudel

Quote:

the frame in the middle is the opening for the tunnel the mount for the steering rack the rear engine mount and will also support the torsion bar when i get around to fitting it important bracket now that i think about it
Quote:

there is plenty of room behind the diff for the torsion bar rear muffler and possibly a battery to hide it
This is a question about your comments about a torsion bar installation. I am somewhat confused. In the first instance it is referenced at the front suspension and in the second picture the rear suspension. Could you clarify this for me please?

After a bit of net searching I finally figured out where this transplant comes from as I don't believe we get that model in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pulsar_GTI-R It helped me to figure out where the power train came from and it sounds like it will be a monster Mini in the end.

Back to the suspension. The links couldn't give me much info on that part hence my questions. Can you post some pictures of how this suspension works or at least describe it for me. I am familiar with torsion bar suspension as I also own a 1987 Honda CRX which has it in the front. I will be using this suspension in my Mini and wish to make a comparison and see how yours will work. Thanls for any input. JS

EDIT: Just found an online service manual. Perhaps you are meaning front and rear stabilizer bars rather than torsion bars? Coilover struts normally aren't used with torsion bar setups.

Last edited by strudel; 23-01-2010 at 06:10 AM.
strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
miniphile

well strudel that's what i was trying to say (most of my updates happen at around midnight or later this is an exception as a friend came around) i was talking about the front and rear stabilizer bars. but i am making them out of old Subaru torsion bars that's where i got mixed up, sorry about that. then again fitting a torsion bar in the rear might solve the problems that im having, but it wouldn't be as good for handling.

yeah you found the right wiki page but there is better pages somewhere i cant find them at the moment. they could be imported into America but they where only released in japan and europe. my organ donor was a Japanese version that was privately imported to the UK then to Australia with its new owner, (he read this post today and told me that the clutch is a OS Giken twin plate)

well as for work today i got the rear chassis rails done just need to find some struts/coil overs i talked to the engineer and he told me that coil overs are for track use only so i decided to look for abother pair of front struts and put them in the back as they are about 75mm shorter and ill just lift the flare up to the waist band.

photo time

i welded only the sides that i cant get to later then cleaned them up

then put it in and welded everything inside and out (in sequence as to not bend the chassis rails)

this is the start of the seat belt mountings the small piece is the original nut out of the sill and it was the right thread for the pulsar bolt. and because i am sandwiching the pieces together i painted them to prevent rust forming between the two pieces

then bolt them together and weld then some more paint just to be sure

the belt fitted and ready to be tacked in

tacked it in then removed the belt so i can weld it all

the rails are fully welded so i cut out all the bracing that was holding them in place and cleaned everything up then slapped some paint around i am holding off on putting the tops on the boxes firstly to paint the inside and secondly so that i can decide if i am putting a roll hoop in permanently or not the main cross brace is staying for when i do the bear claw latch conversion on the door pillars and so i can put some supports in for the floor when i cut it out for the tunnel

well that's it for a while i should have the parts for my extractors by the end of next week then ill just have to see when i can find time to build them i am also trying to figure out where i am putting all the pipes as there is about 9 main ones that need to go through that area and no room for half of them but it is a mini and we do love them
Old 24-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
philster

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megajolt + bikecarbs

looking good sor far

is that cardboard gonna be strong enough glad it's not just me who uses cereal boxes for everything
philster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, gti-r, gtir, roundnose