16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 20-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Scrivs_89

Subframe: Other
CC: 1380
Make: Other
Default Wiring up my K100 16v injection (no rpm signal!!)

Hi guys,

Have spent several evenings over this and now at a bit of a loss. I have a freshly built 1380 with the K1100 head that I am wiring up to a Microsquirt ECU. All sensors for IAT, CLT, Wideband O2, battery, TPS etc are happy. The ignition is being run by an EDIS 4 module. When cranking the engine I get a good spark at the plugs so the VR sensor and coil etc are all ok. Problem I have is no reading of the rpm at the ecu when I plug my laptop in. When I first tried cranking I got a few random jumps from the rev counter, at which point I realised I had the PIP and SAW connected up backwards. Since then though nothing I do seems to get a reading but the plugs are still sparking away happily.

All and any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Scrivs_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
edk83

Is that using a Ford zetec type coil pack?

If it is then it has two output wires for rpm signal, one per two cylinders. You can buy a little trick board that converts it to one signal wire.

When I ran a red Ford esc module that what I had to do, not sure if that helps at all with your ecu / issue.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Scrivs_89

Subframe: Other
CC: 1380
Make: Other

Hi. It's off a mk1 focus (98-04 oval connector) so it can use standard leads instead of the earlier coil pack that has clip on ones and have a black EDIS module if that helps clarify?

Wired as per the edis4 diagram on this page: http://www.useasydocs.com/details/EDIS.htm

Is it possible I've somehow just damaged the PIP connection when I got the wires backwards but the rest of the module is working correctly?

Last edited by Scrivs_89; 21-06-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Scrivs_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
edk83

The yellow wires in that diagram are the rpm signals from the coilpack itself. Those are the two I needed the module to combine before connecting to a regular rev counter.

If I wired just one up I'd get a half reading as there is a wire per 2 cylinders hence the edis6 having 3 rpm outputs.

Looks like yours is a bit more compicated than the red ford esc module I was using though as they are the earlier ones for carb cars.

I'm assuming your ecu needs an rpm feed to work properly? Otherwise you could just take the feed off the pack to a normal rev counter like I did and get one of the modules to combine it, think it was about a tenner.

Sorry can't say I know much about megasquirt of the other sensors you have.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, edis, k1100, megasquirt, rpm