Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
Make: Honda
ECU: Hondata
Send a message via AIM to keitht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeshow View Post
Anymore updates Keith?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
I have lots to update but haven't had time to post, the car is almost finished and is for the Nurburgring next Thursday. I will update on my return.
keitht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #407
keitht

Apologies for the lack of updates life was a bit crazy there for a while. I didn't want to spray directly onto the Epoxy so it was flattened back and the car was sprayed in primer. I also fitted M5 stainless rivnuts to the sills where the arches would normally be riveted this means the arches can be removed easily.

Last edited by keitht; 16-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 16-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #408
keitht

With the car at the Eddies Body Shop and 40 miles away I was only getting 1 day a week to work on it so in the evenings I started to prep all the ancillaries for final assembly, I started by reconditioning the seats. I really wanted to go leather but this turned out to be a struggle so I settled for the standard material for now, I removed the covers and washed, The seat bases were sand blasted and painted, The foam padding was repaired where required and I fitted seat heaters and headrest speakers. I went with Hertz DCX speakers as they have a high dB sensitivity and are an easy fit.

Old 18-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #409
keitht

While the car was away for paint I could recondition the fuel tanks and fit the pump. I started by sealing the inside of the tanks with POR 15 tank sealer, this is a great product but a pain to do right.

With the tanks sealed the outside could be rubbed down and sprayed, I used Epoxy for this as well. I made a new bracket for the pump holder as I donít like the jubilee clip method and fitted a Fuel Performance 255 in the tank. I also had to modify the sender unit but this was because I modified the tanks.

Old 19-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #410
Dopeshow

I have used the POR 15 tank sealer on my tanks. Great product but as you said Keith it's a royal pain procedure to do it correctly, well worth it though in the end.

I rember from your build you installed the Corsa C column, could you advise what control module you used for it please?
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #411
keitht

Quote:
I have used the POR 15 tank sealer on my tanks. Great product but as you said Keith it's a royal pain procedure to do it correctly, well worth it though in the end.

I rember from your build you installed the Corsa C column, could you advise what control module you used for it please?
Its very time consuming but has worked really well considering all the welding that I did on the tanks.

I did fit a Corsa C but I would advise against it unless you are happy doing major modifications and machining to it to make it work. The B is a much easier option but not as reliable. As for the control system I will cover that in the next post, I havn't used an off the shelf item I have integrated the control into another system that replicates the original operation which is fully programmable.
Old 19-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #412
Dopeshow

Cheers Keith,

Look forward to the next post, any time this year would be nice Sorry could not resist
Old 21-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #413
keitht

I also did some further work on the body wiring, this was a project in itself that Iíve been working on in the background for some time. I wanted all of the electronics behind the dash and mounted on the aluminium plate that I had fitted in a previous post.

I didnít want the original stalks at the steering wheel and with EPS it would be hard to do anyway so the solution was to fit buttons on the steering wheel. These buttons would control all functions.

To start I designed a steering wheel plate, this went through many incarnations before settling on this design. For now it is rough cut aluminium but It will be machined out of carbon once the system is finished.

With some help we also designed an Ardunio based control system that the steering wheel buttons would be wired into. This in turn would be programmed with all functions to control the circuit relays. This controller will also do speedo calibration, EPS control, Heater PWM, Start function along with some nice modern functions like Windscreen washer prime, momentary indicator flash, Auto off heated screens etc etc

For the EPS control this will replicate the original operation by reading the VSS wheel speed but with programmable switch points and % assistance with hysteresis.

This is still very much a prototype, the final version will probably have a serial connection between the steering wheel and controller and be smaller.

Old 21-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #414
fynnbar

Subframe: SAE
CC: 1595
ECU: Standard obd1-P30

Oh, all very lovely !!
fynnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #415
Underhauled

well holy smoke.

That is very impressive. You can't even buy an off the shelf arduino you had to go and make that too.
Underhauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #416
Dopeshow

wow!

This is the point that I realised my skills are poor at best and my build is going to be well below average

Interesting stuff Keith.

Last edited by Dopeshow; 24-09-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #417
keitht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underhauled View Post
well holy smoke.

That is very impressive. You can't even buy an off the shelf arduino you had to go and make that too.
This is a problem a lot of people identify in me, I can rarely buy something off the shelf and be completely happy with it.

I did use an Ardunio Mega for this but plugged it into a shield board that we designed to allow it to work for this application.

Quote:
wow!

This is the point that I realised my skills are poor at best and my build is going to be well below average

Interesting stuff Keith.
Far from it, I've been following your build and its looking very good.

Ultimately this sort of stuff won't be seen in the car, it was just the easiest solution I could come up with that ticked all the boxes.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #418
Dopeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
This is a problem a lot of people identify in me, I can rarely buy something off the shelf and be completely happy with it.

I did use an Ardunio Mega for this but plugged it into a shield board that we designed to allow it to work for this application.

Far from it, I've been following your build and its looking very good.

Ultimately this sort of stuff won't be seen in the car, it was just the easiest solution I could come up with that ticked all the boxes.
This is why I love this place, I would never have attempted my build if I hadn't stumbled the forum last year. Everyone has their own ideas, tastes and skill sets, it's amazing how much you can learn from people that actually have real life experience.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #419
keitht

With the steering wheel and control system to a point where it will work the fuse and relay board could be assembled. I had to stack them due to space restrictions which isnít ideal but will work. These are designed to fit on the passenger side dash. The control module will be fitted underneath the dash and the outputs will be wired to the relays.

Old 23-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #420
keitht

Back to the body work. Before final colour on the arches I sprayed the underside with 3M stone chip.

Last edited by keitht; 23-10-2018 at 08:17 AM.