Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Suzuki Builds

Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
meeni62

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1300
Make: Suzuki
ECU: carbs
Default g13b engine conversion in oz, meeni

hey guys, been a long time browser of this forum, and a member of ausmini for many years, my car is a 1962 850 that ive owned since i was 12 (now 21)

the car is a weekend car and although its 1275 is alright, its not fun or fast, so i tossed up between a high powered a series engine, or a swift conversion, guess which option won

so i started by buying myself a bare front cut of a late model rover mini, my intention being to mock everything up into this front end before moving it into my car with minimul time loss, and hopefully tieing it in with a freshen up and respray of the body!

i started building my subframe, which ive been told by a few people is a pineapple design because of the top bars mounting to the suspension towers, the only reason i did it was seeing most subframes mounted that way, so i need to figure out a way to make these strong enough to withstand the load, any suggestions on here? it will have the normal triangle braces under it and the whole subframe will get seam welded etc, maybe some sort of plate around the outside of the tower...

heres some pics of it so far!

subframe jig

top bars

the problem part

tie bar mounts

triangle section added to the top to hopefully keep it rigid

crash bar mounts

and crash bar welded to them

after looking at the room i had with the oil filter i decided to fit a remote oil filter to save some headaches (and no doubt create another when building the car)

i then fitted the frame into the car along with the motor roughly positioned so i could make up the bottom braces

and heres what i came up with for the bottom braces, took ages to bend what is fairly strong tubing into a sort of wonky s shape, but it clears both the tie bars, and the drive shafts and mounts more solidly i feel then mounting it to the bottom of the tie bar mount.. time will tell i guess!

thats where im at for now, i need to add some trianlge sections and gussets to make it as strong as possible, as well as box in the suspension mounting points, ordered some land rover v8 engine mounts so i can get the engine sitting correctly, and hopefully sit it all in and have it fit reasonably well...

really looking foward to driving a 16v mini, the only one ive driven before is this one

ps heres my workshop, which needs to house two cars, a go kart, and all the other pineapple to do with the conversion so space is at a premium!

any info and ideas are going to be much appreciated, pretty inspiring seeing some of the builds on here!

cheers

sean
meeni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Spiyda

I can't see a problem with your top bars..

that is not the highest loaded point of the subframe..

you could add a triangular web underneath as you mention just for peace of mind..

on the other hand, there is quite a lot of force trying to twist the towers, maybe add a tube between them..

the welds look really good.. !

with the landy engine mounts.. we had issues with the force on the front one trying to pull it apart rather than compress it, when under full throttle..

good to see another swift project !

www.spiyda.com www.screwbank.com
Spiyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
meeni62

Thanks mate, what Other options are there for engine mounts in a similar style?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
meeni62

only had an hour on the car today so i decided, after seeing someone else do it on here, to shorten my inlet manifold by an inch! if nothing else it gave me a chance to do some aluminium tig welding

i guess while im there i should swap the ends around so the throttle body is on the lhs instead..
Old 15-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
traz_23

CC: 1298
ECU: standard
Send a message via MSN to traz_23

energy suspension has a universal mount that will work both in compression and extension, 2 stiffness availaible
traz_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
meeni62

well didnt have more then a day over the weekend as it was gp weekend and i cant help but spend six hours a day infront of the tv,,

but got it mounted in the front end, made egine mounts obviously, trial fitted the shortened inlet manifold and it fits without cutting the bulkhead but i probably will nip a little bit out of it as 2 mm isnt really enough space.

still have to work out my alternator bracket hence why the engine mount looks a little un finished, but i need an alternator to do that.. so il have to source one this week, but im happy with how its coming together.. just super time consuming when everything has to be hand made and finished
Old 23-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
meeni62

small update,

got a few more parts for the motor including an exhaust manifold, swift driveshafts, dissy and alternator so i can sort out where everything goes in the engine bay! also thinking about putting a supercharger on it for a little bit more go + the challenge of making the parts to fit one

anyway heres some pics for anyone who cares..

started making an air director for the radiator, not sure how well it will work if at all but im hoping it will push the air through the rad instead of going over it
Old 23-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
arterz

CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: OBD0
Send a message via MSN to arterz

niiiice
Old 23-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Kaison

That air director is a great idea!
Your project is going very well, you're very privilege privileged!
Kaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeni62 View Post
also thinking about putting a supercharger on it for a little bit more go + the challenge of making the parts to fit one
Having supercharged a G13b in a mini, given the choice again, I would go turbo

much less work, almost certainly cheaper, more reliable and more power

C

www.spiyda.com www.screwbank.com
Spiyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
meeni62

yeah, i agree, there were a couple of reasons i thought about the supercharger though which include the fact that theres so much room at the back of the motor to work with as opposed to messing with the exhaust and making it all look neat and tidy, id also like to try and keep the rad in the front..

but i guess the only reason i want to put forced induction into the thing is im nervous im going to do all this work and end up with a car thats not as quick as i thought it was going to be :P if i could make it fast reliable and naturally aspriated id be happier!

cheers

sean
Old 25-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Purtsi

Subframe: Other
ECU: Megasquirt
Send a message via MSN to Purtsi

No matter what engine or charger you put in, you'll always want it to be faster and more powerful
Old 25-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
KMG

Subframe: Other
CC: 1293
ECU: standard

Really like the idea of shortening the inlet manifold,I wish I had seen this done before I went down the road of an internal pedal box which was a pain.Nice build by the way.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
meeni62

today being anzac day over here i had a chance to do a little bit so i started making an alternator mount, i have to re make the engine mount though it looks way too poo..

and i refitted the motor again including the inlet manifold... trying to figure out which way to go, n/a or supercharger..

will try and do something interesting soon i promise :P
Old 25-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
meeni62

yeah i know i will haha, i dont want to be dissapointed with how it goes is the better description i guess..

and yes shortening the manifold seems to be a solution, having said that i think i read somewhere that the mk1 and or cultus manifolds fit without cutting, not sure though..

i also bought a tilton pedal box to mount inside as i need a split braking system to pass victorian road regs but you could quite easily run mini m/c's without issue where it is now, and i agree, the pedal box will be a pain to fit!