16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
TIMOK

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
Default 3.4 final drive

How much a 3.4 fd likley to cost ? i read watsons sell them and who else and for the cost for the part then fitting ?

I have a shell, allspeed vtec frame mpi tank, metro 4 pots. so im just trying to work out how much the project will cost to the nearest couple of grand
TIMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Kam

CC: 2000
ECU: DTA

495 plus VAT, couple of hundred extra for gearbox place to fit it

No one else does a 3.4 or 3.7 off the shelf apart from watsons, everyone elses off the shelf are just normal honda ones, so if you want a different FD ratio your paying someone near the 1500 mark plus VAT probably for the ratio you want
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
TIMOK

Thanks for that info Kam !
How necessary is it do you think to change the gearbox ratios ?
I think i'll be going for a b16a2 motor cant see me needing much more power ?!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
fynnbar

Subframe: SAE
CC: 1595
ECU: Standard obd1-P30

It turns a B16 into a long distance cruiser, rather than an A- and B-road screamer. You'll lose acceleration with a high-ratio FD. Just think about why you're building a vtec Mini.
Having said that, with the largest diameter tyres that'll fit, it'll happily sit on the motorway at 75-80mph - just revs a bit high - just a matter of whether you have a loud exhaust droning away, and whether you can cope with the noise.
fynnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
AbitNutz

Subframe: MTB
ECU: Hondata

I agree. I have a 3.47 Houseman. 80mph is easily done on mt B18C
AbitNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
TIMOK

someonegave me the impression that leaving the gearbox standard would mean the gearing is all wrong

but earplugs are cheaper than changing for a high ratio for now !
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
AbitNutz

Yeah well....that's not my experience. I really like what the 3.47 does for me. Also, I've been told there is a difference in the way the Houseman gears are made and Watson's. The Watson's are supposed to have a lot of gear whine because of the way they were finished. The Houseman doesn't make anymore noise than the stock FD. The Houseman FD is also a fortune...$1,500. The Watson is half the price. The only choice I had at the time was the Houseman so I took it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
DarrenW

All depends what you what to use the mini for, but I would not own a vtec mini for the road if it had standard gearing. I am a bit fussie

But a friend says the opposite to me.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595

You can also keep the standard final drive and swap out the 5th gear for a longer ratio so you get a close 1st-4th for b-road fun and a longer 5th for cruising - for me its the best of both worlds (to clarify I haven't done it to my car but its the option I would go down to counter the high revs at cruising).

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose B series AWD build using MGF subframes has begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
AbitNutz

I have done it and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe because I'm old and from the states. I'm used to seeing 7 liter v8's engines cruising at 80 mph+ and barely hitting 2000 rpm. I got a little more used to it when I bought my 2004 RL. It spun faster than I was used to but the B18C Mini I have, before the 3.47, ran motorcycle like RPM in 5th, I just couldn't deal with it. It was like riding in a trashcan filled with angry killer bees. It still has some of that but they're more like European bees rather than African killer bees.

Because of this....I'll drive to some of the Mini events here, where 500 miles is nothing. I wouldn't do that before.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOK View Post
How necessary is it do you think to change the gearbox ratios?
For me? alot, mine was a b16 pure road car with 12" wheels and a lightweight flywheel so standard final drive can't cut it to enjoy it on the road, long distance driving was an absolute breeze, for the quick trip to the shops it had urgent acceleration in first and second without trying to rip the steering wheel from your arms thanks to the b16, took it on road and track with no worries, never took it on a drag strip as thats not my thing

So for you, don't know
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
I've been told there is a difference in the way the Houseman gears are made and Watson's. The Watson's are supposed to have a lot of gear whine because of the way they were finished. The Houseman doesn't make anymore noise than the stock FD
Yeah the guy who made watsons old lot had ten thou' backlash, he had no jig so they were never lapped in, from what I understand jamies one are

Watsons is using new people now to make his final drives, it was these lot that found this backlash and have now (allegedly) eliminated it with there designs but I don't believe they are being lapped in, I don't know anyone here who is using watsons new type so hopefully they will let us know if the 'watson whine' is still there?

Some people said on the old watsons one the whine is still there after xxxx miles some are saying its quietened down, some say its gone altogether? not sure what oils etc people are using.....

Everyones different, me personally I love that whine, it makes it sound like a mini, you lot have butchered your minis looks so probably don't want it?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
JAH

Subframe: Home Made
CC: B16
ECU: P30

I have a houseman I paid $1400 for. I don't know if it will run silent but the finish appears to be very good so I'm hopeful because I've known the fatique of a whining FD before. Trying it on a Wavetrac in a Y21.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
TIMOK

I do want something fairly civilised - I'm in my 30's now, .
What 0 - 60 times are you guys getting ? and im especially interested in the b16 as I think that what i'll get. need to scare a couple of friends with 911's ha
Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOK View Post
I do want something fairly civilised - I'm in my 30's now, .
What 0 - 60 times are you guys getting ? and im especially interested in the b16 as I think that what i'll get. need to scare a couple of friends with 911's ha
Yeah you get more civilised the older you get eh?

Never ran a 0-60 in mine so don't know, traffic light GP was fun though as I had a useable first gear so foot flat no spin and your off, had fun at the lights with plenty of stuff if I was in the mood, you mention 911's ok it aint a 911 but best one was a boxster at the lights with some twat wannabe flyboy trying to show off to his GF giving it some revs.........we're off and lets just say quite a bit down the road he gave up quickly when he realised he bought a slow car next set of lights he pulled in behind me and not alongside me and wouldn't look at me, his GF found it hilarious......so did I, people really need to just shut the fcuk up sometimes

Civilised, yeah alright