16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
TIMOK

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Honda

I like it ..show those Boxster drivers !

at the end on the month i'll be able to resume the project and hopefully not lose interest, so im building it up from the back end,

Another question I have is as my mini is a 1978 theres no brake servo, is it worth bothering with a servo or ok to use my master cylinder with std rear brakes and metro vented up front ?
TIMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Kam

CC: 2000
ECU: DTA

The servo don't give you more brake, it just gives your foot less of an ache, remember a rover is for old people

I kept my servo in as I'm not running a dizzy so its not in the way, some people here normally have to fabricate something with there existing servo bracket so it clears, but I'm not a fan of messing around with brakes, might just be an allspeed thing for the clearance issue, not sure

Do you need it? depends on how old you feel? if your running out of energy everyday and can't be peachd to get out of bed every morning then yeah!

I could keep mine so I did, do I need it? not really, haven't reached that age yet
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
TIMOK

CC: 1600

I can handle pushing the brake pedal down hard, I think if youre gonna hit something you're going to stam on it the same - servo or not,

Did you use allspeed shafts and bottom arm/tie bars kam or something else or can u recommend anything
TIMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
AbitNutz

Subframe: MTB
ECU: Hondata

I have the 4 pot Mini-Tec calipers in front with 9.5 inch rotors. In the back I have calipers and disks from a Mazda Miata. I have no servo assist at all. It does take a big foot to stop it....but only at slow speeds. At high speeds, not crazy high, just like 25 mph or more, the pedal is hard but has great feel. At really high speed...100+ I wouldn't want a servo. I can imagine just locking them up.

It took me a while to get used to but at slow speeds, you really need to lean on the pedal. At high speeds it just works really, really well.

I think it sort of equates to power steering. Pain at slow speed, great at higher speed.

No servo also leaves me room for a remote oil filter and thermostat on the firewall. All I have to do is figure out where to put the oil cooler radiator.

Last edited by AbitNutz; 11-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.
AbitNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOK View Post
I can handle pushing the brake pedal down hard, I think if youre gonna hit something you're going to stam on it the same - servo or not,

Did you use allspeed shafts and bottom arm/tie bars kam or something else or can u recommend anything
I used allspeeds stuff to keep it simple and straightforward, that doesn't mean its cheap or cost effective......it gets you out of a situation as its all plug n play and there ready to go on, but your wallet takes a hammering - again

If you wanna build all the bits you need and can then your onto a winner, how you go about this I aint got a scooby I'm sure there was a thread about making your own rose joint stuff for allspeed (allspeed is all rose joints) but can't find it, unless it was a reply in a build diary....

As for brakes, I've locked up my servo assisted 4 pots a couple of times, was pretty hairy as one was on the road and the other on track but that was stamp foot down kinda stuff, but I've driven my mates 998 clubby with drums all round quite a bit and was never happy with how much I needed to push the pedal to get anything out of it, it felt a bit unatural especially after driving mine or a modern cars brakes, it felt like I was gonna push my foot straight out of his footwell sometimes!
Old 23-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
Ed W

Subframe: Other
ECU: Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
I agree. I have a 3.47 Houseman. 80mph is easily done on mt B18C
Where did you get your gears?
Ed W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed W View Post
Where did you get your gears?
Houseman, Jamie Houseman <<< sounds like 007

http://www.housemanautosport.com/
Old 24-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
AbitNutz

Subframe: MTB
ECU: Hondata

Yep they are Houseman. No gear whine and according to my GPS, and my speedometer agrees, 70 mph is just short of 3300 RPM. When the VTEC comes on it's like getting kicked.

I'm about to saw off the front end and put on a Mini-Tec fiberglass nose. I am terrified at the prospect of this. However, it will give me room for a turbocharger. This may require a severe cash extraction and frontal lobotomy.
AbitNutz is offline   Reply With Quote