16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 14-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #46
Haz

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Honda
ECU: Hondata S300

The unbearably loud whine of the semi-helical Watson’s. It was also a bit too long for my liking, might have been ok with an s80 box but not an s9b. In hindsight it was probably about right for the b18. I’m still happy to be rid of the Watson’s though, I absolutely hated it. How anyone is happy with the 3.4 ratio is beyond me, each to their own.

The 4.05 was certainly worth it in my opinion. The 4.266 is unusable in 1st, 4.05 is usable. I also fitted a long 5th gear to give me a more comfortable cruise speed RPM. 3.9 would probably be the perfect ratio for the s9b in my opinion.

Oh yea and wheels/tyres... I’m running metro gti 7 spoke 13“ and yoko A539 tyres. Diff wise it’s the helical racepack diff, can’t speak highly enough of it.

Last edited by Haz; 14-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #47
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

Interesting comments. I'd heard about the "Watsons whine" but generally people have said it does fade over time to a degree and you get used to it and that it was reminiscent of the idler gear whine from an A series.

I note your comment about the 3.4 with interest. I have (as far as I know) a 4.4 FD and whilst I did find 1st useable it made everything a bit frantic and I always felt I was one gear higher than I should be. I hadn't realised how bad it was until I mistakenly left it in 2nd at a set of traffic lights and when they went green I took off in 2nd and it flew off the line. I've got an MFactory 3.4 waiting to go into my gearbox as thought this might make 1st more useable like 2nd was with my 4.4FD off the line
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #48
Haz

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
ECU: Hondata S300

I used to run a straight cut box on my a-series with straight cut drops. That was a nice whine, rally style if you will. I loved it.

The "watsons whine" (great name) is just obtrusive. My exhaust is pretty damn loud and boomy, almost to an uncomfortable level. When the watsons went in I couldn't hear my exhaust, or at least barely hear it. It was just whine whine whine as if it had a ring on it's 3rd finger. Onto the Mfactory FD and it's now a blissfully loud exhaust

This is how I see your 3.4 final drive experience going:

1st drive: Set off in 1st - oh wow, this is great. Wind first gear out, oh and it's FAST off the line in first. I'm not unintentionaly wheelspinning for fun. Select 2nd - oh... Is that 4th? Nope. Definitely 2nd. Vtec will arrive via 2nd class post sometime this week.

Later that week: Vtec just kicked in y0! Now where's my 4.4FD....
Haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #49
Dopeshow

Subframe: Allspeed

Interesting topic and good to hear peoples experiences, all be it good and bad. I'm starting off be keeping it as simples as I can. Ive got a S9B gearbox and im fitting a LS 5th gear to help keep the revs down on motorways.
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #50
mikko

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
ECU: obd0

S9b here with the. 714 5th on 175/60 tyres, seems pretty perfect to me.

Not your typical heated leather seated track day car but it does have heated leather!
mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #51
simonaoz

CC: 1595

I went for the 3.7 FD. In fact I brought it from Haz. I reasoned that there is 15.6% difference between a civic on 195/55/15 tyres and a mini on 165/60/12, and there is 15.6% difference between a 4.4 FD and a 3.7 FD. So I end up with same gearing in a lighter car.

I haven't tried it out as I'm at the parts collecting stage of my build.
simonaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #52
monkey

CC: 1600
ECU: A box of chips

All this is making me wish I went for a 3.7 now but the box I came across had a 3.4 in it anyway and the money went towards having it rebuilt. I'm planning to run 10s though, so it'll be interesting.

If the mini ever sees the road at the rate I'm moving with it >_<