Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
alingham

Subframe: Home Made
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard
Default Honda VTec B16a Front Subframe - SketchUp Model

Hi all,

A year ago I started the process of putting a VTec into my classic round-nose Mini.
It's been quite a process.

One of the things I found lacking was the amount of digital assistance or plans for subframes. It would seem lots of people just go for a pre-made frame - which is all well and good if you get access to them. However, being from New Zealand, we'd have to pay double to get one shipped here.
So our only option is really to build our own.

I've spent ages looking through other's builds and chatted with a few different people who have made their own. All of them used the original subframe towers and built off it. At this point I'd like to thank Dutchy for his build journal (www.dutchysmini.com), which is quite a good guide for identifying a) what to do and b) what to look out for.
One of his photos outlines a bunch of measurements which were instrumental in being able to complete my subframe build. It took a while to convert all the inches to mm though! However, photos can only show so much detail from one angle, and are not terribly easy to build from in a 3D space.

So, I wanted to give back in some way, for those who are looking to build their own subframe, and want something digital to work from.
I spent the last few days taking measurements from my subframe and layering them over photographs from various angles, much like what Dutchy has done. From those measurements, I have built a 3D Model of the Subframe in Sketchup. This is as close a model as I've been able to make to reflect my frame measurements, as well as, being as close as possible to the shape and dimensions from the original subframe.

While I'm not going to absolutely guarantee that EVERY measurement is 100% accurate, I have tried to be as close to the actual sizes and dimensions as I can. I'm certainly no SketchUp guru, so there may be some better ways to create some of the nuances of the shaped metal subframe towers. For this, I just used a box with some shape modification.

At the very least it should provide any builder a starting point to take initial measurements from. And from that you'll be able to make small adjustments as you build the subframe so that it fits in your Mini.
I'm still in the process of finishing off the subframe, so there may still be some changes to come. But for now, this is pretty much the final dimensions for you to use.

Let me know any feedback you have.

SketchUp 3D Warehouse - Mini VTec B16a Front Subframe

Blog Posts of Build

Last edited by alingham; 10-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.
alingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:44 AM   #2
Harley

I don't think the amount of digital assistance is lacking completely - its just not out there for the public to get hold of. Putting together a decent CAD model takes 100's to 1000's of hours, not to mention constant research and refinement as a product is built off it. All this work going into something will generally be considered by most to be their own intellectual property and not want the info falling into the hands of others.

I know speaking for myself, as someone who has spent 1000's of hours over the last 10 years doing models for my own mini conversions, will never put my CAD models out there for others to make use of for two main reasons - 1. I dont want anyone building it incorrectly and trying to find a legal way back to me if something goes wrong, and 2. If somebody mass produces and sells them I get no cut for all the hard work.

All that said - it's good that people like you do have the time and are willing to upload your work for the benefit of others - Well done!

The frame design itself is interesting - have you actually built one off it yet?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Dictator

CC: 2.0+
ECU: Hondata s300 eventually

Out of curiosity have you been through the LVVTA design approval process with your frame. The certifier I spoke to (And the Hobby Car Technical manual) both advise that you will need to complete the design approval process. This is because the suspension mounting mounts (upper\lower arms) are now custom, and therefore they need dimensioned drawings.
Old 18-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
mikeb

CC: 1800
ECU: dta
Send a message via MSN to mikeb

Have a look at this page , there are plans and measurements for a d-series subframe
http://minimikebc.tripod.com/
Old 18-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Ronski

Subframe: Other
CC: 1995
Make: Other

@mikeb, is that your own site, as whenever I click anything I get some dodgy looking pop ups.
Ronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
mikeb

CC: 1800
ECU: dta
Send a message via MSN to mikeb

no its not my site , i discovered it years ago. The site works fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg framem.jpg (157 Bytes, 43 views)
File Type: jpg framem2.jpg (157 Bytes, 39 views)
File Type: jpg framem3.jpg (157 Bytes, 39 views)
File Type: jpg framem4.jpg (157 Bytes, 38 views)

Last edited by mikeb; 18-08-2019 at 03:22 PM.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote