16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat > Spotted

Old 28-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
cooper_mark

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: standard
Default flower covered mini at longbridge..

i live about 5 min walk from the MG ROVER works
went past there today and this was parked on the island a few hundred yards from the factory...

my beast

Last edited by cooper_mark; 29-06-2010 at 12:12 AM.
cooper_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
minimanryan

Subframe: Other
CC: 998
Make: Rover
ECU: none cars to old

yes it was at the rhs flower show it was in the newspaper near me
minimanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
daveyjones

Make: Other

My first house was on Groveley Lane, went past the old engine works etc the other week and what a sight nothing left, what has the government done to our proud engineering, sold it down the river.

We will be a nation of warehouses and white men in delivery vans. Yep people can say well you have a Honda engine etc and forgein white goods but the difference is where can you now obtain such goods. We can be a self sustained island, we have our own oil, energy(coal etc) and water and excellent engineering pedigree. But the government still buys from abroad???

Begs the question really who's gaining and where????

Amen!!
daveyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
DarrenW

Subframe: Watson
CC: 2000
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA
Send a message via ICQ to DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
My first house was on Groveley Lane, went past the old engine works etc the other week and what a sight nothing left, what has the government done to our proud engineering, sold it down the river.

We will be a nation of warehouses and white men in delivery vans. Yep people can say well you have a Honda engine etc and forgein white goods but the difference is where can you now obtain such goods. We can be a self sustained island, we have our own oil, energy(coal etc) and water and excellent engineering pedigree. But the government still buys from abroad???

Begs the question really who's gaining and where????

Amen!!
I think it was the people who striked, wanted higher wages, better working conditions etc in the 60s and 70s that caused the damage. The government really only reacted to that, by clamping down on unions, selling off the alot of the businesses it oversaw etc..... This is still continuing today with businesses off shoring by larger businesses etc

In addition we also have the problems of large hidden state pension liabilities and to many benefits provided(eg nhs for almost everything, child benefit, pension tax credits).

We live in very interesting times (well interesting in some ways)

If manufacturing business made sense here, it would have continued in much large quantities.

Along with cheap oil, cheaper wages elsewhere(living costs cheaper as well) and technology meaning that the item can be produce elsewhere in the world for alot cheaper and shipped here for less money. Labour markets are more flexible elsewhere, less laws to comply with etc.

I have seen clients that cant buy the raw materials cheaper than importing the finished product, when costing up products. We as the consumer shop alot of the time based on price.

Amazing really but wages and property prices(whether commercial or residential) are way to high to compete against other countries.

I woudl also say we are not self sustained by miles in the UK, we dont grow enough, we dont make enough, we dont haev even resources etc. Hence why we haev a massive trade deficit really. All the informaiton is available on the internet if you fancy a search, I stopped reasearching stuff in about 2005 as it jsut scared me(!) as the bust has been along time coming on the back of the biggest credit expansion in history, which has basically meant everyone living beyond their means.

Sorry I have got sidetracked back to work I go
Old 25-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
minimanryan

CC: 998
Make: Rover
ECU: none cars to old

i wud of kept the works for a actraction
minimanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
daveyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
I think it was the people who striked, wanted higher wages, better working conditions etc in the 60s and 70s that caused the damage. The government really only reacted to that, by clamping down on unions, selling off the alot of the businesses it oversaw etc..... This is still continuing today with businesses off shoring by larger businesses etc

In addition we also have the problems of large hidden state pension liabilities and to many benefits provided(eg nhs for almost everything, child benefit, pension tax credits).

If manufacturing business made sense here, it would have continued in much large quantities.

Along with cheap oil, cheaper wages elsewhere(living costs cheaper as well) and technology meaning that the item can be produce elsewhere in the world for alot cheaper and shipped here for less money. Labour markets are more flexible elsewhere, less laws to comply with etc.

I have seen clients that cant buy the raw materials cheaper than importing the finished product, when costing up products. We as the consumer shop alot of the time based on price.

Amazing really but wages and property prices(whether commercial or residential) are way to high to compete against other countries.

I woudl also say we are not self sustained by miles in the UK, we dont grow enough, we dont make enough, we dont haev even resources etc. Hence why we haev a massive trade deficit really. All the informaiton is available on the internet if you fancy a search, I stopped reasearching stuff in about 2005 as it jsut scared me(!) as the bust has been along time coming on the back of the biggest credit expansion in history, which has basically meant everyone living beyond their means.

I do beg to differ as an island we are self sufficient the difference is Globalization. We have plenty of land to grow stuff and plenty of natural resources, what we allow ourselves to do is buy cheaper products from elsewhere, in that instance where does the revenue go, hmmm hang on ah yes abroad out of our island.

Therefore it creates a void, other countries draw in on the wealth which we provide so it creates more deficit. Why are we paying through the nose for fuel ??? Yep most of it is tax.

Manufacturing is still here, only owned by companies abroad,why is BMW doing so well and Range Rover who are owned by foreign subsidiaries. why do you think China is buying up chunks of African soil??? Because the funding is there to do it because everyone is funding China and the opportunity to buy land mass is there.
Old 26-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
daveyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post

You'll be teaching me about 'Taylorism,Morgans metaphors, quantums, pareto analysis, gear ratio's, conceptualization etc etc (bus) what next'.

I feel the information can probably be found under the heading Globalisation.

People will always live beyond their means due to want and desire, have you ever read Myopia a Harvard business school paper written if I remember in the 60's/70's, very clever paper.

Many thanks for the insight (tutorial) into why we are in a mess...judging by the bullish stock market we have a long way to go with the Global turn down....

P.s sorry for crashing the thread..with our level 2 theories. Lol