16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > 16v Mini Sprint > 16v Mini Sprint Chat

Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Mark D

Subframe: Home Made
CC: lots
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA
Default Requirements for sprinting(needs updating as some old info)

Please note there is some really good info on this thread but it is a little dated. Please check on the MSA Website for the updated Info especially for sports libre class which you would run in if you have a hybrid mini.

As i'm getting a few emails on the requirements i thought i'd better post a sticky on it.

Personally you will need:
1) A competition licence-any non race national B licence will do for our championship events and are available from www.msauk.org at a cost of 36
2) Membership of a motorclub. Auto 66 membership is 30 and available from www.auto66.com
3) A competition car logbook - Approx 28 (1 off purchase) and is available from the event scrutineer once you have your licence. Can be purchased at your first event.
4) Money for your entry fees

The car will need:
1) A roll cage as described in the blue book
2) A competition seat
3) A Harness type seat belt
4) As our cars run in the sports libre class i think a fire extinguisher is also mandatory but check with scrutineer.
5) A timing beam splitter on the front

For your own safety you must have:
1) A crash helmet
2) Fire resistant overalls

There are some specific requirements for some of the above and these requirements can be found in the MSA blue book which comes free with your competition licence ( down load from here http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/conten...p?category=404 )

For newbies i would also suggest that you make your first event one of the auto 66's own events and not an invited event such as croft or 3 sisters as scrutineers seem to be very strict at them

Last edited by PaulW; 25-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Mark D

Andy wrote the following in another post and it was commented on that it should be in a sticky so i've copied it here for info, Cheers Andy.

6 point cage minimum spec is made of cds tube - no need for fia, but certified item is good (Safety devices, omp, fabricage etc)

Each location point for the cage needs 3mm thick plate welded into the shell then feet of cage bolt through.

2 litre hand held extinguisher ....... aim for MSA approved so you have the correct contents.

If the fill point of the fuel tank is inside the boot then you need a spill neck at the fill point & a take off pipe for a drain to the floor. Mini tank is fine though cos the fill point is on the outside.

You will need non-return on tank breather (in case you end up upside down)

Fireproofing bulkheads mean 'block up all holes & gaps' no rules on this so you can use tape, bodge, weld, etc.

If you run fuel lines in the car then they cannot be jointed inside with jublee clips. Gotta be fancy joints (eg JIC) or no joints.

+ve on battery needs to be coloured red.

-ve on batter needs to be coloured yellow.

If you don't have a normal Mini ignition key arrangement then you'll need a kill switch within reach of the driver. By now you probably need kill switch on window scuttle too (for marshalls to kill your fuel pump & engine)

Bucket seat should be MSA approved (I think) but deffo high back & rigid fixed (no sliders)

Timing beam splitter at front.

Front tow eye clearly marked & painted (yellow/ orange)

Tyres cannot protrude beyond arches.

................ anymore for anymore ???????????????

ah yes , no 'wet' battery in drivers compartment.

4 Point MSA harness with 3 inch shoulder & 2 inch waist straps. It's possible that libra class needs crotch harness too this year, I fitted one for scuteneering but haven't used it.

Overalls, Helmet, boots, gloves all need to follow strict regs & these are changing for 2010 so don't copy an earlier blue book.

Rollcage padding required ........ don't be tight & buy pipe lagging as it'll not protect your expensive helmet.

Oil catch tank is required with 1 litre capacity (I think). You need a scrut up on his rules for this one cos I ran all of last year without one & tossed oil all over the place at Olivers Mt.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Allan McD

Subframe: Other
CC: 2350 t
Make: Other
ECU: Megasquirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
4 Point MSA harness with 3 inch shoulder & 2 inch waist straps. It's possible that libra class needs crotch harness too this year,
Its 6 point for Libra classes from 2009.
Allan
Old 28-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Mark D

Do they have to be fia approved as i can by a crotch strap from ebay but i think the fia date has expired
Old 31-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Allan McD

Subframe: Other
CC: 2350 t
ECU: Megasquirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Do they have to be fia approved as i can by a crotch strap from ebay but i think the fia date has expired
I dont know read your blue book it will 0nly take you a year to figure it out.
Allan
Ps I dont think it matters
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Pete D16

CC: 1600
ECU: standard

I ve just bought a Willans Club 4x4 harness with a plug in crutch strap, 3" lap and shoulder straps, preferred this set up as the release box mechanism is on the lap strap as opposed to it being on the crutch strap of a 6x6 harness. Figured i didnt want to faff around with the crutch strap if im only driving on the road.

Trouble is the expiry date on the crutch strap doesnt match the one on the 4x4 harness (though they were bought at the same time) and im concerned that scrutineer might consider it mix and match and possibly not even a proper 6x6 harness. Wondering if i should exchange for 6x6, what are people using to satisfy scrutineers.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Mark D

never had the harness checked to be honest, let alone the date. Even to the point where i believe we are meant to have 6 points fitted but i've only ever had a 4 point.

That said in the spaceframe i'm changing my TRS belt by adding the additional strap so i assume the two dates on mine will be different. I dont think it will be much of a problem if they are compatable items.

Allan may have more info as he has done more events with different scrutineers. Are you coming to join us this year then Pete.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Andy_S

Subframe: AMT
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt ... kinda

In libre we've needed a 6 point harness for at least a year (or at least Allan noticed a year ago that we needed them).

I ran with red crotch straps & a blue TRS 4 point last year without a problem, but the Scrutineers for Auto66 are sensible compared to other 'jobsworths'. To be a good boy, this year I bought a blue crotch strap to match the main harness & am not expecting any problems.

If you're worried that it looks mixed, then cut the label off the crotch strap, then there's no mismatch. Doesn't say in the blue book that both bits of harness need a label.
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Pete D16

ECU: standard

Thanks guys, i'll go with what ive got then.

Mark, thinking of local events initially and see how it goes.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Quadra

Subframe: Allspeed
ECU: Standard

Pete

Try to keep out of the bushes at Gurston this time, be a shame to spoil such a nice car.

Cheers Mike
Quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
spNOam

ECU: Tweaked DTA

Is there any advantage of joining Auto66? I seem spoilt for choice for a motor club to join.
spNOam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Andy_S

Subframe: AMT
ECU: Megasquirt ... kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spNOam View Post
Is there any advantage of joining Auto66? I seem spoilt for choice for a motor club to join.
Join whichever club(s) that give you best access to events around the UK.

Auto66 os our local club & we like to support them, but other clubs get entry to the same events.

I think the Mindlandspeed club gets access to the majority of UK events;

http://www.midlandspeed.org.uk/Venues.htm
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
alexcrosse

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1598
ECU: MBE 967 EF
Send a message via MSN to alexcrosse

alrighty, this obviously doesnt apply to my current 16v'er, however, i have a long term project on the cards...

Does it have to be a 16v mini to compete in the championship, i no matt has competed in an 8v, but would 24 valves be ok?
alexcrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #14
PaulW

CC: 1800cc
ECU: Megasquirt MX5 Pnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcrosse View Post
alrighty, this obviously doesnt apply to my current 16v'er, however, i have a long term project on the cards...

Does it have to be a 16v mini to compete in the championship, i no matt has competed in an 8v, but would 24 valves be ok?
no would it melons, coming with your fancy 24v engine thats just silly.

I can't see a problem with it. So long as its a hybrid mini then i reckon your all good.

Paul
PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
cossierick

Hi paul, it says at the top page minimum requirement is cds for the cage, how would i get on with the spaceframe??

Do they check things like that on every event or is it just luck of the draw when there checking things.

Thanks rick
cossierick is offline   Reply With Quote