16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 19-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
bluemini17

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: B18
Make: Honda
ECU: P9k
Default Mini madness B18c4 Allspeed (Finished and driving)

Hi folks,

Long time lurking, first time posting.

To give a brief run down of how I started out........(skip to the next post if you don't like reading).

I bought my first car at 16 - a mini for the pricely cost of 450 - and restored it, very poorly if I might add, for my 17th birthday in 2005 (to save the math I'm now 30, born in 87). It started out as an 89 City E 998cc. I painted it black, big wheels, flip front and all the usual 17year old traits.

The car then lay out the back of my parents house while I went to uni in Aberdeen. Fast forward 9 years to 2014 - I finally get my own place with a garage and I get the house renovations mostly complete - time to bring my mini over from the parents. Oh no, what has the rain done...

The car was a mess. 9 years of rain did it no favours. Over the next two years I painstakingly stripped it, welded it, painted it and re built the 998. I then got an MOT April 2016. I was overjoyed with a sense of achievement having only sought help for my headlight alignment!

I then drove the mini round the clock and eventually built a 1275 with a kent 278cam and hif44 carb. She flew , not the most extreme of engines but fast none the less.

998 out

1275 in

I then got the thirst, I remember reading about engine swaps in minis from my earlier mini days. The seed started to grow. I then decided its time for HONDA.

I scanned the usual adds for months on end and then the day before i flew off on holidays I found it! A Honda Aerodeck B18c4, s9B gearbox and only 60k miles on it with an MOT! I had to have it.

One issue, I live in Northern Ireland, Co.Down, the car was near Leeds. I jumped on the phone, talked a while and then fired 100 into the guys account. Risky move I now, but what could I do, I was due to fly to Rome the next day.

I then came back from Rome a week later,left the girlfriend at the arrivals baggage belt, turned to the departure gate and jumped on a plane to Doncaster. The guy met me at the airport, I drove the Honda up through Scotland and onto the Stenaline at Stranrear. That was me home, a flawless trip albeit a tad angry girlfriend.

The Honda then lay on my drive for a while as I wanted to put it into another mini, mine was too good I thought. I eventually found one for 200, a rolling shell. I got it home and it sat for a few months as I saved for the allspeed kit. I then had a change of mind, why restore this mini and pay out for adjustable everything when I already have that on my green mini?

That was it, the red mini was then sold. I pulled the 1275 engine out of the green mini, threw the 998 back in and got an MOT... yesterday. The reason for swapping the engine was I would never pass the emissions test with the lumpy cam and the hiff44 and I also want the green honda mini ready for IMM in May........... yes I said that, May - 2.5 months away......

AM I MAD?

So to summaries, I need to build a Honda Mini in 2.5 months, while working 8 to 5 Monday to Friday, entertain my girlfriend the odd time (they do have needs) and have a few social ones with the lads.

Can it be done.

Oh yes, to those interested, my build thread for the green mini is on the mini forum - http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...loads-of-pics/

Last edited by bluemini17; 12-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.
bluemini17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
bluemini17

Today, being a Sunday, I got the new Skunk2 intake fitted and also stripped the interior. Pics to follow
Old 19-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
choochoo

Make: Suzuki
ECU: Standard

Liking it . Keep us updated
choochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
mikko

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
ECU: obd0

And the most misleading user name of the week award goes to david, not a single blue mini to be seen. i saw this green one in the tin and it is nice. good luck.

Not your typical heated leather seated track day car but it does have heated leather!
mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
GEORDIE SP1

CC: 1800
ECU: Standard

Yea Good luck, Nice to see a lot of Northern Ireland builds going on at the moment, including more that arn't on here.
GEORDIE SP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
keitht

CC: 1615
ECU: Hondata
Send a message via AIM to keitht

Hello and Welcome, I read your build on the Mini Forum, you sure know your way around a Mini after that. I'm trying to make IMM as well but don't even have the shell rolling yet so don't hold much hope. What seats are you using in the green mini? They look like MK1 MX5 seats?

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=35826

Last edited by keitht; 21-02-2017 at 11:49 AM.
keitht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
bluemini17

Cheers lads, the Northern Ireland lads will have to get a run out soon.

Bluemini17 - that was the colour i wanted to paint my mini at first, and I was 17. How things change with age

Yes, good spot. They are mx5 seats from a mk1. I used to have a mx5 mk1 and liked the seats so much I made them fit the mini. Frames were easily modified. I was able to keep the sliding mechanism. I have since sold them and gone to classic low back buckets but they are a tad tight to sit in.

Last edited by bluemini17; 22-02-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 22-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
bluemini17

Got a bit more done tonight after work. Got the loom figured out. I have cut every connector / plug off that I don't need. I only have the ecu, engine, fuel pump and clocks left. She turned on first time, what a relief. Engine management light didn't come on so fingers crossed no error codes on the ecu. It looks a mess, but i have it under control

Not many pics, wires aren't that interesting.

My next step is to pull the engine and loom out. Then remove all the dead tails of wire from the loom and then be left with the engine only wires. It's a handy way of making a loom. I now know the engine will definitely run once in the mini, provided I don't damage any wires while installing it.

Last edited by bluemini17; 22-02-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 23-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
bluemini17

Had another productive night, two hrs in total. Got the loom removed from the car and also removed the fuel tank so I could get at the fuel pump and sender unit.

I will probably spend Friday night removing the dead wires from the loom while having a few rums in front of the tv. The joys of living alone, no one to shout at you if you ring car parts into the house

Hope to make a start on removing the engine on Saturday afternoon.

Old 23-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
robert_paull

All productive work
robert_paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
bluemini17

Another productive evening. I managed to get the loom stripped of all the redundant wires and fuses.

I was very surprised at how simple the loom is once you understand the Honda fundamentals. I made a loom from scratch for the green mini last year so the basic theory was still fresh in my head. I am an electrical engineer by trade so wiring is less phasing, although vehicle wiring is a different kettle of fish to 110kv.

A quick video of it all working. Please note this is a work in progress loom, will shorten it to suit the mini in due course.

https://youtu.be/j_55xK3MpFE
Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
bluemini17

Got the engine out today. I am seriously impressed with Mr Honda. Everything is well thought out. Even down to how the engine mounts are bolted to the body.

I struggled with the roll pin on the gear linkage but once I found a suitably sized bolt it came out. I used the long bolt that held the air compressor clutch to the engine block. Perfect diameter and length.

Allspeed are posting my frame in a week or so. My plan is to get the engine all prepped, belt, water pump etc changed and then painted before the frame arrives.

I also want to have the Honda fuel pump modified and fitted to my mpi tank this week.

Last edited by bluemini17; 04-03-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
Underhauled

Great progress.
Underhauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
bluemini17

Got a good bit done on Saturday, I only had 6 hours on it this week

Got the mpi tank modified and the honda fuel pump modified to fit:

Took the wee fella for one last blast round the back roads, brings a tear to my eye, the engine has been flawless, not one drop of oil or water ever found on the garage floor

Then i removed the engine and the front dash/ interior etc. I also removed the front loom and sub frame, farewell little engine. I am a tad nervous about cutting the perfectly good front. I only painted and welded the car this time last year! the car has only been on the road for 11 months

I am also trying to figure out what engine mounts i need, I would like stiffer ones. I think these are the ones.... https://h-tune.co.uk/avid-racing-eng...ra-dc2-3-bolt/

Almost time to start cutting. Just waiting on Allspeed now

Old 17-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
bluemini17

Mostly fuel related today.

Spent the day fitting the new 8mm fuel line, took a brave while crawling under the car trying to wrestle the pipe into place. Got there in the end. Also got the tank installed and the fuel filter. The filter normally sits on the bulkhead of the honda, i decided to mount it in the boot.

I used fuel injection hose and fuel injection clips throughout. The 8mm pipe is micro bore sleeved in pvc. I will see how this holds up. If it does become an issue i will upgrade to ally fixings and olives.

Got the mini sitting level and took measurements of the front etc. I will be cutting the wings and stretching them to fit the honda engine. Maybe 50mm give or take.

I also took delivery of the new mounts, I opted for avid mounts. I couldn't justify the cost for billet ally ones at 2x the price. I opted for the 62a shure ratting ones. They seem stiff enough.

Here comes a boring bit regarding fulcrum points of pedals - ignore if you wish ..........

I also took measurements of the mini & honda's clutch and accelerator pedal, fulcrum point, throw, pitch and cable/pin movement.

I want the throttle to feel smooth. The mini pedal moved the throttle cable 80mm opposed to the honda pedal moving the cable 22mm.

I have calculated that if i move the fulcrum point of the mini pedal by 75mm I will achieve a movement of circa 22mm.

Moving onto the clutch pedal. I will be using the honda master and honda slave with the mini pedal. I have two points to think about. The first being the movement of the fulcrum point of the mini pedal to achieve a similar softness of pedal to that of the honda, or retain the mini pedal as is and have a stiffer pedal. I will opt for option 2 for the time being.

The second point, the honda pedal actuated the master cylinder by 28mm, the mini pedal actuated 48mm. A difference of 20mm. If i retain the mini pedal but use the honda master my pedal will only pass halfway through its motion before maxing out the honda master thus overthrowing the clutch.

Fix one: prevent mini pedal from traveling too far, or fix two: remove 20mm from the honda master ( or raise the honda master by 20mm). I will opt for the removal of 20mm.

I am only surmising at the moment but will update when I put all my ramblings into practice.

Tomorrow is D day for the front end. RIP paintwork

Thanks, David

Last edited by bluemini17; 17-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.