16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Other Hybrid Chat

Old 25-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #31
biggelmo

Hi Woody, I won't be running an ECU as I'm going retro/oldskool and using an early Fiat Uno points distributor and Honda 400 32mm bike carbs.
I decided that using the 16v head would lead to to many problems (hydraulic lifters hinder performance cams) and so went for the Punto 75 8v head as it has large ports and is retro fit able with a distributor.
Bogg Brothers have made inlet manifolds for bike carbs on a Punto for other people so I'll be banging on their door when the time comes.
I've gone for 32mm bike carbs as this is what size chokes are fitted to 40 DCOE's on most performance 1300's,there's also an item in the December issue of Practical Performance Car magazine where a guy has put 33mm bike carbs on an Punto 75 on his own cast inlet manifold.

Good luck with your 16v project,I'm watching it with interest.
Old 30-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #32
vegar

I am running a 110 bhp 1242 8valve in my Autobianchi Abarth. It have a standard bottom end, 40 mm Mikuni carbs from a zx600-r (or whatever the kawas are called) on a homemade inlet manifoil, stainless exhaust and a worked head (including Newman 306 deg cam, Cosworth retainers and Newman springs). I rev it to 8300 rpm, but it still climbs The gearbox is a seicento sporting wich have shorter final drive than the other normal punto boxes

I like your subframe and are looking in to installing a FIRE in my Morris 1300. How much did you cut/notch for the gearbox??
vegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #33
biggelmo

Well it's been a while.........nearly 2 years to be exact so hear's the current update.
The Fiat powered Mini never materialised due to me not being able to get a decent shell that didn't need acres of welding but it was much easier to get a cheap Fiat Cinquecento (zinc primered shell to cope with the Polish winter where they are made) and stick all the acquired go faster goodies on to it.
With a lot of help from the Fiat Forum we swapped the standard 1100cc Spi head for the 1200cc Mpi head and with a decent exhaust manifold and the correct Ecu managed to increase the power from the standard 55bhp to 73bhp...not bad.
We then drove it for a year and generally had a great time in it, then we made the big decision to prepare it for Sprints & Hillclimbs.
Due to the above modifications the Cinq was no longer eligible for the Standard Production Roadgoing class so we had to bite the bullet and go all out and build a Modified Production (Modprod) car, lots of stripping and lightening has seen us reduce the weight from the standard 730kg to a healthier 620-630kg which includes all the MSA safety stuff.
Engine wise the Modprod regs state that the engine block must identifiable as originally fitted to the car so this ruled out using the 1242cc block as it's visually taller and was never fitted to a production Cinq so we are stuck with the 1108cc engine, so I finally got round to making an inlet manifold for the bike carbs I bought years ago and once they were fitted and properly setup we gained another 13bhp upto 86bhp....woo hoo.
I'm now in the middle of installing and 300 degree race cam with some lightweight bucket followers and a vernier cam pulley and hopefully should have it running this weekend, then it's back the dyno for some more adjustments and fingers crossed we may be around the 100bhp mark.

So I'm afraid this is the end of my Fiat FIRE Mini build, it is definitely doable and would make a nice daily driver with the right mix of parts.

Here's some pics of the Cinq,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20151126_223009.jpg (157 Bytes, 97 views)
File Type: jpg _20160430_213427.JPG (61.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg _20151126_222847.jpg (157 Bytes, 98 views)