Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 14-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
richie08

Subframe: Other
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: Rover mems
Default Richie's clubby estate

Thought I'd stop lurking here and start posting. I'm Richie from Irvine in Ayrshire, Scotland and I've been into minis for quite a few years and have restored a few a-series powered minis in the past.

I know a few people from here already, particularly chrisg who I've just bought my wonderful new project off of - this very incomplete 79 clubby estate.

I'm deliberately leaving it in storage until september(ish) as I need a wee break from working on minis so I can get on with finishing off my garden and house.

At the moment, this is the only pic I have. You will see it needs... everything:

So far, I have front doors (needing reskinned), a fibreglass clubby front end and this...

It's a 1.4 litre rover k series 16v mpi from a rover 414 I bought and stripped.

I am using a rover 100 front subframe, which gives bigger and better balljoints, brakes etc. It also offers a wider track and saves cutting and shutting the driveshafts and also means I don't have to cut into the bulkhead. So I've got this subframe and running gear already, which I also bought from chris.

so.... it's probably a while before I update this again, but now my plans are in the open

As for my current mini - an 87 mayfair... I'm undecided what to do with it now... I think i'll keep it until this is finished as I don't want to rush the clubby by not having a mini. Here's a picture of it:

Last edited by richie08; 19-02-2012 at 10:02 PM.
richie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
TheFinn

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Very nice - and you know me too!

I hope the A Series in the picture is the one that I hope you have removed from in front of my lockup up-and-over door!
Old 21-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
richie08

Cheers Stef. Yup, the a-series currently in my saloon is the one I'd left at your workshop.

My MG Metro engine is deid after a piston melting incident in Germany, hence I've reverted to 998 power!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
richie08

Finally brought this back to my garage tonight, thanks to chrisG and mr. noshoes for the lifting help! Took a few pictures in the process,

Traveller style? Or glazing company?!

have left if on its side in my garage on some casters so it can be moved around easily!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
evolotion

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1400
ECU: Megasquirt

remember seing this at chris' place, didnt look that bad from what i remember! keep the pics coming when the work starts

Denis.
evolotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
richie08

Well, it’s been a year since I bought this, and so far I hadn’t touched it. But yesterday I decided it had been long enough, so I took a wire wheel to the floor and cleaned up the rust. I then applied a few coats of rust convertor then chopped out a rotten section of the floor and the rot in the spare wheel well. I then welded in some repair sections.

Finally, as the floor was mostly bare metal, I decided to paint it up in black rust converting paint.

I’ve got many new panels to fit, so there will be a bit of grinding back needing done of that paint, but I’ll do that once I have the panels.

I ordered all of the required panels from m-machine today, the following:

Description Part number
Rear corner repair (LH) 21.14.00.17
Rear corner repair (RH) 21.14.00.18
Outer sill (budget) (LH) 24.32.00.01
Outer sill (budget) (RH) 24.32.00.02
Boot floor repair (LH) 21.41.00.27
Boot floor repair (RH) 21.41.00.28
Back door step 21.41.01.05
Rear valance 21.42.00.00
Rear val left corner 21.42.00.03
rear val right corner 21.42.00.04
rear val closing panel 21.42.01.00
inner arch (LH) 11.42.03.17
inner arch (RH) 11.42.03.18
Inner sill – to first flute (LH) 21.31.04.27
Inner sill – to first flute (RH) 21.31.04.28

These should come on Friday, so next week I can maybe make a bit of progress, mainly getting the floor sorted then I can get it back on the floor.

Today I cleaned up a couple of rear subframes I had and stripped them down, removed the broken studs etc. Gave it a lick of paint then I treated it with white stonechip protector. Sadly, I never took any pictures of that, but will put some up next time.

But here’s some pictures of the stuff I did to the floor:

Finally, I got a few other bits such as a rover 100 front subframe, some rover 100 gti alloy wheels, a fibreglass clubman front, some back doors etc.

Will hopefully be able to update this more frequently now.

Finally, this is what I’m wanting it to look like once finished:

Cheers,
Richie.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
richie08

Well today my new panels arrived from M-machine. I’m really impressed with the quality, much better than any Hadrian stuff I’ve previously used, and their own bits are just as good, if not better than the heritage stuff! They even joggled the wee repair panels for the back corners for me.

I got a 30 discount for getting it without the black transport primer, so I’m going to prime it all myself with weld-thru zinc primer and paint inside the outer sills etc.

Maybe next week I can start getting some of these fitted. Also picked up another bottle of gas and a reel of mig wire today.

Old 19-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
richie08

Just noticed I'd forgotten to update this... here's the past few updates:

17/07/11

I managed about an hours work on this when I got home from the car show today, got the grinder out and chopped off the remains of the rear valance then started to cut out the first repair to the boot floor, need to prep the edges then I can weld the first repair panel in. These repair panels were slightly shorter than I expected, so looks like I’ll need to make up some metal to do the remaining bits. I was too tired to do any more than this, but if I feel up to it tomorrow night I’ll try to get the repair welded in.

Also, here’s a picture of the rear subframe I’m starting to build up:

18/07/2011

Well, I know it doesn’t look like I did much, but I spent an age prepping the floor to take the repair panel. This included drilling out loads of spot welds, grinding, chiselling, measuring, cutting etc. To get the repair panel in place, I had to cut the subframe crossmember which I will align using the subframe, then will weld back into place.

I also spent a while removing a broken stud from the crossmember so quite pleased to have sorted that out.

By the time I did all of this, I managed to get the main seam of the repair panel welded in, but it was getting too late to flap it down, so I just gave it a quick scoosh of primer to protect it till I come back to it again. Still got loads of repairs to fit and make, but starting to get there now.

Here’s a few pictures which doesn’t make it seem like much, but I assure you it was:

19/7/2011

As the repair panel was much shorter than I anticipated, I had to chop out the rest of the thin / holed steel along the edge, and then made my own repair panel for it using a cardboard template. I think it turned out pretty well!

I also plug welded the repair panel onto the front and rear boot floor crossmembers,

And then I removed the old inner arch back plate and then flapped the welds very mildly

And fitted the new one, by using a comination of Plug welding and seam welding as appropriate at each part. I only tacked this onto the old inner arch (which I’ve retained for the time being as a reference point) as I will be tubbing the rear arches.

Finally, gave the new metal a quick brush-paint to protect it from the elements as it’ll probably be a week or so before I go work on it again and the salty air takes hold!

Old 20-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
richie08

20/09/2011

Tonight I chopped off some of the floor. I still need to cut it to the correct size for the repair panel and prepare all the edges etc, but it's a start. Still to remove the bit where it's welded onto the crossmember as well

Here's a quick picture:
Old 20-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
dig-mini

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 2L
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: standard

Nice job you've got alot of work there to do.

Craig
dig-mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
richie08

Cheers mate, certainly do. Having seen the build diary of Hayling's clubman estate, i wish i went down that route too as the floor of this one was pretty humped!
Old 21-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
richie08

A bit of a boring update, I chopped out the rest of the floor and drilled out the spot welds / removed the last bits of metal. A bit more tidying up to do before I can fit the new sills.

here's some pics:

Old 19-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
richie08

New inner sills and floor pans welded in place:

Then I flapped down the weld bead, welded in the last few bits at the floor extension piece to close those gaps, welded up

the holes that had been drilled in the floor extension piece, plug welded the sill onto the back door pocket - and finally

I painted it all black to protect it.

As you can see, some good penetration to the other side:

I had primed all the new panels in weld thru zinc primer, but I also decided to paint the cavities of the inner / outer

sills before welding them to make sure they were well protected and don't rot from the inside-outwards.

I then welded on the outer sills, for the time being just plug welded onto the door step edge, and plug welded onto the

outer sill. I also intend on seam welding it onto the outer sill but I ran out of time tonight:

So, nearly got the drivers side of the car complete, feels like a good wee milestone. Another night's work should let me

get it back on it's belly, just need to seam weld the outer sill and fit the healboard repair panel ( I have fitted the

subby to use as a jig!)

Cheers,
Richie.
Old 20-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
richie08

tonight I seam welded the outer sill onto the inner sill, finished the join between the outer sill and the flitch, and finally spent the rest of the night trying to fit the healboard repair. Took ages to cut it to the right size, tack it into place and refit the subframe on and off several times whilst welding it on. I've still to finish it off, then flap down all the welds. Afterwards, it'll need seam sealed, then painted then stonechipped.

Old 23-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
richie08

That's all the welds flapped down now:

Also welded in the rear cross member:

And finally, have seam-sealed all of the welds: