16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 29-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #106
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Hi Andy, I had a quick look on my favorite fittings site and found this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-T25-T2...item2574334769 but then you would have to make up the rest of the return line.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #107
asahartz

Looks like a case of many bodge jobs. Which, as we all know, take longer to put right than doing it properly in the first place. Have fun!
asahartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #108
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Things have gone from bad to worse.

After removing the subframe it was obvious that there were more rust issues than I had thought. I asked my mate Chris (Yorkshirebloke) to visit as he's a welder by trade. He assessed the shell and found loads more areas needing attention.

The frame was held into the car by 4, 16mm bolts. These have tubes welded into the car at the correct locations. It looks decent sized tubing etc but where it meets the shell is horrendous. It was welded to the original boot floor. This is only 1mm think steel when new. Now the car is over 20 years old, surprise surprise it's disintegrated to nothing.

Chris thinks the roll cage is a front cage only. The tub in the pic is an add on but it's welded to the tubes that aren't connected to the body!

Rear valance is rotten.

The 16mm bolt holding the frame in the car was bolted here. Through a square tube. The slot it's in has a plate across the bottom which means you cannot get the frame out without one side a foot higher than the other. It was a nightmare to remove. The fact is rotten is obviously an issue but basically it's very little actually connecting it into the shell.

Over and above these issues, more bodges.

RHS shock absorber.

LHS shock absorber. Oh it's not long enough or correct size. So a tube has been welded to the top to make it fit.

I am seriously considering giving up. I know some people get a bit down when doing these projects but this is just beyond a joke. Also given the fact that this will not ever be road legal due to having zero points on the VOSA ruling, I just have had enough.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #109
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Holey bananas literally I really feel your pain on this, but at east your finding the problems now and not further into the build. Only you can decide if you want to carry on with it and make it a proper car that it should off been in the first place.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #110
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

dont look good andrew, its a shock to start with, take a brake,
i will say its not a restoration to factory so you have freedom, and the frame replaces the most of the space so thats good, soon as you hack the grot away you will feel better, then when new bits go in you are ok,p,s allso thats the water flying around the back,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Last edited by ardonfast; 06-12-2017 at 07:16 PM.
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #111
geachy87

CC: 1.8t
ECU: Kmaps

Stick at it mate
I've been there before with my shell when I started prodding around for rust, proper sucks the motivation right out of you, once it's all solid again you'll be glad you didn't give up
geachy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #112
CooperWorks

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1.8VVC
ECU: Mems 3
Unhappy

Gutted for you mate. Fingers crossed this is the real low point & when everything is cut out and welded things will be much better. Have you considered a re-shell?
CooperWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #113
Yellow

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8VVC
ECU: Rover MEMS3 with Kmaps upgrade

That shock absorber looks like something out of mad max! It looks pretty crusty under there I guess that design of cut-out rear floor doesn't suit all weather use as Shaun says water everywhere. I'm sure it's fixable but a massive pain as I know you bought the car for the good work done on the original build, not to have to do it again. Throw a sheet over it until the new year and then get stuck in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #114
Chris16v

CC: 1.8 t
ECU: Emerald K6

Gutted for you mate..

Start from scratch with a space frame and fiberglass shell? as i may never be road legal anyway?
Chris16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #115
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris16v View Post
Gutted for you mate..

Start from scratch with a space frame and fiberglass shell? as i may never be road legal anyway?
http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthrea...ght=spaceframe

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #116
Chris16v

CC: 1.8 t
ECU: Emerald K6

I keep looking at that and i may end up with something similar myself
Chris16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #117
Cliff Pountney

Andy,
I also feel for you. It looks a great deal worse that would be expected from the first pictures you showed.
It's difficult to make an objective choice when you have time and money invested. Writing out a list of pro's and con's might help but I think if it were my project I would be parting it out, scrapping the remains, and chalking it up to experience.
There's just better things to be spending your valuable time on.
Cliff
Cliff Pountney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #118
Cliff Pountney

I just took a look at the link to the space frame vehicle. Flame me if you want but I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I don't like it.
The concept is great but like many of these space frame specials does it really need that much tube? That's way more structure than you would find in a Caterham for instance.
Maybe the designer has done some structural modeling, in which case I'll eat humble pie, but I would would question whether the following parts contribute much stiffness for the weight they add -
1) The cross car tube in the center of the back stays and its two vertical tubes.
2) All that box making up the tunnel. Any lost stiffness (oh'er) could be replaced with a second diagonal in the door openings.
Z cars make a similar frame (which may get a little benefit from the rusty Mini you bolt it into) but has way less tube.
Cliff
Cliff Pountney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #119
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Thanks for the support guys. Really not sure what to make of this right now. The parts I bought I could sell on and get the money back. It's the Mini it's self. It's just a complete bodge job. Needs a load of welding then a full respray. That alone is well over a grand.

This getting it road legal issue is the final straw. I have looked into all routes to achieve this and cannot see a way forward with it.

I remember seeing the space frame idea Oz but I agree with Cliff, I don't like it either.

There is no point trying to sell this now as it's too late in the year. Might just do as suggested and stick it back of the garage until next year. Even then I expect to see a massive loss.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #120
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
ECU: Megajolt

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do now is buy an MGF/TF.

Use the bits from this to build the mid engined, turbo'd two seater that this car would have been anyway, and flog the mini bits on - they're only going up in value.

Sorry to see this has become such a ballache.
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote