16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Broomel

Default 1.6 to 1.8vvc wiring loom

Hi all,
I have a 1.6 k series running on a cut down loom from a 1990s Rover MPI 100, this is all taped up and tidy behind the dash, including the 5as and fusebox with relays etc.

I have a VVC160 (presumebly mems 3?) all ready to drop in but one thing i have been dreading is the new wiring loom arrangement.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to modify the engine loom of the VVC to connect with the existing loom in the car with minimal effort? i seem to remember converting a rover MPI 100 to VVC143 and it only took a couple of swapped pins or extra wires, but this was approx 8 years ago so i may be wrong.

Take it easy on me as i have not physically compared the loom plugs etc.

The engine came with the various bits from the car like the fusebox, and various connectors but not the loom itself...

Any help would be much appreciated, or even better a volunteer to do it for me!
Broomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Come on Broomel update your details then people will know which area you are in and might be closer than you think.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
Broomel

Done, been a member for years by my old account went to bananas during the server failure.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
will16

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
ECU: K Maps 170

If your running a 100 loom, might be worth looking at the Metropower facebook page, there's alot of metros to 160 conversions, lots of knowledgable people on there (as well as on here !)
will16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
AGoaty

ECU: Standard

First off it will be far easier if you use 160 VVC loom from a Lucas alarm car. Black key fob. Also get a ZR loom not a TF loom.

I am pretty sure that they both have a big grey multiplug from engine to body. If that's the case you can link one into the other. I had to do this on my son's ZS VVC. There are about 9 wires. All but 2 matched colours. He has both the ZR and ZS engine and body plugs linked in his.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Broomel

Thanks Agoaty.

Pretty sure my engine came out of a TF.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
AGoaty

You'll need a ZR loom then.

Also you'll need the coolant pipe, thermostat putting in the thermostat housing (it will of used a PRT so will have an open blank in) and dipstick swap.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Broomel

Hi All,
I braved the cold and went into the garage to assess the wiring situation, i have the following:

complete engine loom (ECU plugs have VW audi logo on?).
Wedge ECU, lucas?
Engine bay loom and fusebox, the loom has been cut off at the bulk head presumebly.
A 5AS and key fob, the plugs are still in the 5as but cut off, it also has 2 plug sockets where as i think my mems 1.9 has one?
A grey rectangular plug that connects to the engine loom, if i remember correctly on my old loom this interfaced with the dials etc.

I intend to pull my old engine out in the evenings and take a proper look, i think the only interface between the rover loom and the mini loom was with a small plug simply for the rev counter, and warning lamps etc so i should be able to keep this seperate with my old 1.6 then crack on and make a new loom that is mems 3 specific.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this or perhaps the rave diagrams?

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
AGoaty

The MEMS 3 ECU looks identical for both the Pektron and and Lucas types. The 5AS is the same as the earlier type for the Lucas so assume you have the correct one. Should have an all black fob.

The 5AS on the earlier type did only have one multiplug. The second plug simply connects the indicators flashing when lock or unlock. You can leave this out and it will work fine.

In reality you should only need to adapt the grey plug. As I said earlier I made a short link and left both grey plugs from the 2 cars in the engine bay.

Last edited by AGoaty; 11-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
geachy87

CC: 1.8t
ECU: Kmaps

One of the plugs for the mems3 ecu is on the engine loom and the other is on the body loom so you'll need to cut the one off the body loom and wire it in as well
geachy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
Broomel

Thanks geachy, i have the other end of the grey plug its just not attached to anything.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
geachy87

CC: 1.8t
ECU: Kmaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomel View Post
Thanks geachy, i have the other end of the grey plug its just not attached to anything.
I take it you're on about the 5as grey plug? It's the engine ecu that has a plug on the engine loom and one on the body loom, they're both black, it's the small one you need to cut off the body loom and wire in
geachy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Broomel

I dragged the engine out and connected as much of the loom as possible, i have the following observations:

wiring colors are completely different to the wiring diagram i have, brilliant. Does anyone have a copy of the relevant diagrams?

i have no MFRUs does anyone have any spares i could buy? or are they the same across mems?

Last edited by Broomel; 13-12-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

The different colours in the wiring loom is common in Rovers, my engine came with it's engine and part body loom (MG TF is a complete loom in that it doesn't have any bulkhead plugs) and I had problems following the wiring diagrams as the wires changed colours at joints or connectors to a completely different colour sometimes.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #15
Broomel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
The different colours in the wiring loom is common in Rovers, my engine came with it's engine and part body loom (MG TF is a complete loom in that it doesn't have any bulkhead plugs) and I had problems following the wiring diagrams as the wires changed colours at joints or connectors to a completely different colour sometimes.
i cant find any plug on either the engine or body loom that matches the MFRU on my 1.6?

i wish i just bought a 143 now.