Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 23-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race
Default Remote servo size?

Could anyone tell me the size/diameter of a remote servo that was fitted to mini's is. I managed to buy one the other day for the grand sum of £26 and it was advertised as a Mini servo but it's over 7" in diameter, it seem's a bit large! to fit to a mini?

cheers.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Can I ask why? You have the same setup as me and now they are setup correctly work fine without one, even on track.
Old 23-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
gadget555

When I went for a quick drive round the estate at the back of our house I was having to press the brake pedal hard to get it to stop, So I thought I'd keep an eye out for a cheap single line servo in case after getting out more, the brakes were still a bit heavy on the pedal, you know how it is when all you have been driving for the last 30 years is cars with servo'd brakes you get used to them and not having to press the pedal to hard to slow down.
Old 23-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Strange, I donít recall you being a girl when we met?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
gadget555

HAhaha! Looking at you quote at the bottom of your page Dan it that how Michelle got pregnant?????
Old 24-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #6
AGoaty

Two differences made a big change for me. Fitting Mintex pads and braided brake hoses.

The thing is, yours wouldn't even be bedded in yet so this means they will feel spongy.

I personally don't think you need the servo. At least get the brakes bedded in before altering anything. It will never be like a modern car. I can lock the wheels on mine at 100mph if needed. What more are you likely to need???
Old 24-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
Could anyone tell me the size/diameter of a remote servo that was fitted to mini's is. I managed to buy one the other day for the grand sum of £26 and it was advertised as a Mini servo but it's over 7" in diameter, it seem's a bit large! to fit to a mini?

cheers.
what part? maybe the main diafram holder? the big round disk plate,
not that it matters keither,
i didnt remember you haveing the rover disks like andrew, if you do then the bigger rashio mgb servo is about right,
i can mesure the cooper,s one over the weekend for you,
we all have our prefurance, seems the older we get the more we like a survo lol, it dont matter eather way lol, they wher fitted for a reason to improve the brake feel for grannies but im going to fit one ,, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #8
AGoaty

Keith has a Watson's frame with MG F vented disks, like me.

Keith, you have driven mine. Don't remember you complaining?

Last edited by AGoaty; 24-11-2017 at 05:49 AM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
edk83

Are your brakes connected up diagonally with a dual output system? Mine is dual but separate front and rear. If you fitted a remote servo would it be a single one just on the front brakes? Or would you need two remote servos?

I'm wondering the same, my setup is mgf front brakes and standard Allegro rear drums. The pedal box says it gives a 6:1 pedal ratio so I'm wondering how that compares with standard mini pedals?

The brakes do seem to work but I do have to press the pedal and they are not all that sharp, not tested on the road yet though only moving about on the drive, won't know till I try stopping from speed.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
AGoaty

Ed, the setup should be split front to rear. That's how most Mini's were.

Keith could use a servo on the front brakes only and leave the rear without. I bought a MG B servo to do exactly that 3 years ago. Small upgrades to them mean it's now more than adequate without so sold the servo on earlier this year.

This is my opinion. I have let loads of people drive my Mini and don't remember anyone of them complaining about the brakes.
Old 24-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
gadget555

You are right Andy your brakes are more than adequate to stop your mini and I should just concentrate on finishing it mine off it was just a little bit of luxury in not having to press the bake pedal quit so hard but like you said when I drove you car I didn't have to noticeably press harder on the brakes to slow down.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: standard

I disagree Andy, I have had both the metro/mgf brakes and the cooper s brakes and have tried various combinations of discs and pads on both and while both are acceptable without a servo I found the metro/mgf brakes gave me no confidence without a servo. Once I fitted the servo the brakes felt 100 times better even though I hadn't actually increased stopping power I felt much more confident braking later into corners etc and emergency stops felt a lot more controlled as you're not having to push really hard on the pedal making it easier to moderate pressure and control locking up. I would want against using a remote servo though as I could never get them to work nicely, they actually made the pedal feel worse in that it felt spongy and detached with no feel. The direct acting servo is the best set-up.
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #13
gadget555

Thank's for those reassuring words Gaz in that I'm not being a girl in wanting a servo on my brake system! I have followed your design and made a direct acting relocated servo. I'll have to go back and look through your build tread and see where you have positioned things as I'm now running out of space to accommodate essential things like the header tank, washer bottle (could go in the boot) air filter and the like. The original question still hasn't been answered though in that what is the diameter of a remote servo? that I could fit on the inner wing under the scuttle ends as the one that I bought is 7" diameter and it won't fit, I think the one I've got that was advertised as a "mini" remote servo is in fact off an mgb or something. I had a really good conversation with Agoaty yesterday and he reassured me that once I have been driving the mini I'll get used to the way the brakes act and feel, to be honest I never had a problem 30 years ago when I first had a mini with drum then disc brakes it was just the norm back then. I'm really appreciate the input you guys are giving and it give's me more of an insight of the pros and cons of doing these conversions.
Old 27-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
pompeyal

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
Thank's for those reassuring words Gaz in that I'm not being a girl in wanting a servo on my brake system! I have followed your design and made a direct acting relocated servo. I'll have to go back and look through your build tread and see where you have positioned things as I'm now running out of space to accommodate essential things like the header tank, washer bottle (could go in the boot) air filter and the like. The original question still hasn't been answered though in that what is the diameter of a remote servo? that I could fit on the inner wing under the scuttle ends as the one that I bought is 7" diameter and it won't fit, I think the one I've got that was advertised as a "mini" remote servo is in fact off an mgb or something. I had a really good conversation with Agoaty yesterday and he reassured me that once I have been driving the mini I'll get used to the way the brakes act and feel, to be honest I never had a problem 30 years ago when I first had a mini with drum then disc brakes it was just the norm back then. I'm really appreciate the input you guys are giving and it give's me more of an insight of the pros and cons of doing these conversions.
Remote means remote so put it in the boot if you want.
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
gadget555

And the light just came on in my head there's an idea, then that would mean running 2 new brake lines through to the boot and a vacuum hose.