Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 15-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
keitht

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
Make: Honda
ECU: Hondata
Send a message via AIM to keitht

So these were delivered during the week, I decided to go with these instead of the machined version as they are half the price at £40 and I could just make the machined ones instead of paying £90. Some things I have noticed with these is that they are a sealed unit so don't required a grease nipple and don't need to be shimmed which I find a pain in the peach. It will be a week or so before I get these fitted due to other project work. Any questions fire away.

keitht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
monkey

CC: 1600
ECU: A box of chips

Interesting, thanks for posting the pic. What is the bit pictured at the bottom for?

If it’s a sealed unit, I wonder if it’s based on the metro balljoint? Which begs the question if this can be done for a bottom balljoint how come no ones developed a sealed balljoint for classic mini hubs (you can only get them for metro hubs)

I look forward to seeing them fitted.
Old 15-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
keitht

CC: 1615
ECU: Hondata
Send a message via AIM to keitht

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting the pic. What is the bit pictured at the bottom for?

If itís a sealed unit, I wonder if itís based on the metro balljoint? Which begs the question if this can be done for a bottom balljoint how come no ones developed a sealed balljoint for classic mini hubs (you can only get them for metro hubs)

I look forward to seeing them fitted.
I assume the little bit is to blank off the spring and grease port in the hub? It is a good question, sealed units would be so much easier to fit. I might be due to the space restriction at the top of the hub.

I have to take my engine out and to do some gearbox work next week this will obviously entail removing the hubs so I will fit these before they go back on.
keitht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
monkey

Does anyone know who “Fletcher Motorsport” are? I can’t find any info on them apart from the exhaust company...
Old 16-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Quick search of the tinterweb and found these! http://www.spdautomotive.co.uk/acata...INTS-3601.html or here as well http://www.minispares-online.co.uk/n...m-ball-joints/
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorenapier View Post
If there is any more stress it is very very little

Anything will break if its loose... Sounds like operator error more than anything..

Racing in the Migs will certainly put a lot more stress into them than anything on the road.. cornering on slicks at 70mph with kerbs thrown in....
If you wheel is moving back and forth you have a problem with substandard bushes.

To the OP, you wont have any problem running these. Ill be putting a set on my racecar (which runs sticky 13" slicks) over the winter and will have no issues in my mind with them.
well i got to admire your confidance rorenapier , thats fair,
monkey> after seeing keiths photos i can say that, forgetting the length of them, they are limeted life race parts! no grease nipple and no ajustmant shims, they do look well made but lack of workable parts puts me off even more, even if they wher normal length i still dont see them as usefull,
apart from race(limeted life then throw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #22
Kam

ECU: DTA

Dropped your balls monkey?

KAD limiters on mine, minispares 4 pots don't touch, 700 point turns are not a problem now

What's a standard rack nowadays? The KAD ones work but with all the quick racks or god knows how many racks are available you never know exactly what you have and the same with me but they work on mine
Old 17-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
They've been flying low for quite some time now....

Quote:
KAD limiters on mine, minispares 4 pots don't touch, 700 point turns are not a problem now
Maybe I'll try this first before adding droppers. Does it really reduce the full turn lock that much?
Old 17-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #24
MattG
Administrator

Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt

nice posh box though .. like an apple product
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #25
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Does it really reduce the full turn lock that much?
When you got a honda/vauxhall/rover up front in a mini trust me lock to lock is the last thing you should be worried about

I think you are trying to refine it too much. You had one on the road before so you know trying to chase every little vibration and noise is a fruitless task

Its the same with the lock to lock, if thats the only reason to fit them I personally wouldn't. To go from 1 and a half turn full lock to around just over 1 turn to full lock is nothing really, bigger fish to fry

Bent tie bars on the Allspeed frame seem to be a hit n miss with people, bottom line is you need to have everything setup properly but you will definitely for sure need lots of positive castor etc

Most garages really do hate working on the Allspeed setup with bent tie bars, one minor adjustment one side messes up the other then it takes an age for them to line up altogether
Old 18-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
monkey

The problem with the last one was the 4 pots were hitting the tie bar. Unsure if this was due to being on 10s. In the end I had to file away a little of the caliper which I'm really trying to avoid this time.

I heard going for normal 2 pots solves all of this but I got a set of 4 pots for a price I couldn't say no to
Old 18-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #27
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
The problem with the last one was the 4 pots were hitting the tie bar. Unsure if this was due to being on 10s
Did you ever have it setup properly? I know you didn't have it on the road for long but with these its trial and error, a simple one off tracking won't do it

Been quite a few topics about callipers hitting Allspeed tie bars but normally its always the same thing
Old 19-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #28
monkey

Quote:
Did you ever have it setup properly? I know you didn't have it on the road for long but with these its trial and error, a simple one off tracking won't do it

Been quite a few topics about callipers hitting Allspeed tie bars but normally its always the same thing
Fair point there, so do you think I should stick with a limited rack for now?
Old 20-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #29
Kam

Yeah get some rack limiters or maybe even a quick-rack?

You could make some rack limiters up yourself if your savvy enough, end of the day they are just plastic collars with a groove cut out (to hold a slim line cable tie) then you just heat them up to prise them apart, put them on and tie them up

But if you are able to get some plastic collars that wrap the steering bar even if they are bigger it won't matter as you will be cutting them in two half moon shapes - the rack limiters are a complete loop with a cut out to be able to pull them apart and prise them on, but two half moons would be a helluva lot easier, just make sure the plastic collar width is correct, too little and lock will hit, too much and you won't have much lock in the first place

If you get some that don't have a lot of height to them you can just cable tie them up, they ain't going anywhere so the groove won't matter

Other option is just to buy them, they are cheap, then make two cuts to make two half moons and tie them up, thats what I would do but put the above option in incase you have something lying around the house that could work

I did do a fitting guide over on TMF about these but after all the photobucket debacle its gone, if I get time I'll host it again there and link it here just for a guide
Old 20-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #30
Kam

Forgot to ask

Seems silly to ask but how was lock to lock, what I mean is yeah your callipers are hitting but did it really matter? Yes it takes another point or two to turnaround but overall in day to day driving?

Its just a setting thing but I'm sure theres a few on here that just ran as is, not even sure why I limited my rack maybe because it looked like fun and wanted to fit in with the other cool kids