16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Non Mini Builds

Old 29-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #361
edk83

It's got a tiny dent I can just feel with my finger, the first close up pic. Then the other tiny bits of pitting around where the rings sit, cant feel those easily though.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #362
InstantCustard

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8
Make: Rover
ECU: Emerald K6

Gaz is right, if itís flat, then donít have a skim, the hard layer can easily be skimmed through, especially if itís already had a skim or two, and unfortunately, to correctly discover if your head is useable or not you need to pay for the hardness test but only after youíve already forked out for a skim, only then will you really know if the head is scrap or not.
If a HG is replaced correctly then itíll be trouble free, the gaskets nowadays are far superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #363
edk83

Would the indent on the fire ring seal then? I'm guessing the fire ring on the gasket would mould into it. It is small but you can definitely feel the indent.
Old 30-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #364
edk83

So I think the head is getting skimmed today anyway as I'm due to collect it tomorrow. I've got a spare head on the shelf that I recently bought from Agoaty so worst case I could switch to that.

Although I don't think any combustion gas was getting past the rings on the gasket I wouldn't want to risk it again with the way I could feel the small indent in the surface.

I'm not being very lucky with gaskets at the moment though, new one from dmgrs arrived today and the beading feels much stronger on it than the broken one. The courier threw it over my back wall though which is about 10ft high, bent the corner of it!!

What back door??

Yes the gate is locked.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #365
edk83

The head got skimmed anyway, looks good.

Back at it, happy with the belt tension.

All back together Spun it on the starter and got oil pressure, the belts all still line up.
I need to change a coolant sensor thats on order before putting coolant back in.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #366
edk83

So now it's back up and running but probably will have to come to bits again. The vvc control shaft is binding at certain points in the rotation, causing no vvc! It's been suggested that as the head was skimmed after bolting it down the journals the shaft sits in could now be slightly different. I'll have to take it out and check it for debris, maybe lap it into them or try another shaft.

The fun continues!
Old 14-09-2018, 12:55 AM   #367
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

I have another shaft if you want one.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #368
InstantCustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post
So now it's back up and running but probably will have to come to bits again. The vvc control shaft is binding at certain points in the rotation, causing no vvc! It's been suggested that as the head was skimmed after bolting it down the journals the shaft sits in could now be slightly different. I'll have to take it out and check it for debris, maybe lap it into them or try another shaft.

The fun continues!

If they skinned the head and itís affected that journal then they skimmed the wrong side!

Quote:
I love it
Old 14-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #369
edk83

haha, I'm only saying that as Garry mentioned he had to lap a shaft into the journal again after a head skim, unless there is some pineapple stuck in there sounds like my issue.

I have bought another shaft from ebay which arrived, and guess what - yep the splines where the plunger would mate have some damage. The seller has another one which they are going to check and send out. Not having that much luck at the moment!!

I've spoken to the garage that did the skim, I also paid them to remove the valves, fit new stem seals and reseal the cam carrier. So if I take the carrier off I'm undoing work I've paid for, they are going to come out and have a look later today as they are mobile as well. They've said its likely to be a timing issue and not anything jammed in the mechs - thats not what I'm seeing though as the timing appears right.

Last edited by edk83; 14-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #370
edk83

Old 14-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #371
edk83

My vvc belt timing when the engine is at tdc+90 and front cam marks aligned

When I removed the vvc hcu body the plunger was just about engaged in the first tooth, with the little vvc mech window showing correctly on both sides of the carrier. The plunger was well jammed though. Great I thought, just free it off and all will be well. It will run through but gets very tight at certain points then will free off again.

On turning the control shaft with a screwdriver I can feel it get tight at certain points then free off again so the issue is not the plunger or splines. At the moment I've got the engine rotated a bit so none of the cams are pressing on any valves.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #372
InstantCustard

Iíve had this issue in the past when I got a cam carrier plate muddled up with one from another VVC head and it just jammed up, theyíre machined as a matched pair and wear differently over the years so itís quite important to rebuild them with the correct parts or they will need some lapping to get right again.
Is it possible the shop has changed something?
Over torquing the nuts can cause the same issue, theyíre only supposed to be something like 10nm, itís hardly anything and can easily be over torqued by hand.
Also depending on what sealant they used, itís possible some of that has got into the journal.

Quote:
I love it
Old 14-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #373
edk83

Yeah the cam carrier is the correct one, my sprockets are marked as well and are correct.

They used wellseal to seal the cam carrier on, I've asked them about it and they say it's better than the rover sealant and they have been using it a long time. There did seem to be some excess which i cleaned off, it's like honey. I was half hoping that it would be some sealant near the journal and I have run the plunger up and down loads of times thinking it'll improve, but no, when it gets tight it's really tight, no way oil pressure would move it.

When they skimmed the head there was a fair bit of ali swarf/shavings. They said they blew them all out but I have rescued a couple of tiny ones from under them cams. I'm wondering if some of this is stuck in the teeth of one of the vvc mechs, they say there won't be any though and they've never had this issue before, they are wanting to charge to come and look at it which is sort of fair as I took the head to them complete as it came off the engine. I've said if it's going to be a full call out charge then I'll just take the carrier off myself and inspect, problem is I've no proof that it was working fine before (even though it definatly was). If I have to pay them fuel though thats fair enough, it could just be due to the head being skimmed but if there is anything stuck in the mechs then I'll not be paying!

Last edited by edk83; 14-09-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #374
edk83

Well after lapping the vvc control shaft into the journals in the carrier it seems to be nice and smooth. I had to drain and clean out the followers as they were jacked up which meant the cams were getting locked up when refitting. After draining it was better but they were still tight and that feeds back through the vvc mechs and makes those tight.

I decided to try some different cams. A 270 high lift exhaust cam with some dva offset dowls and some Mike satur inlet cams that are a higher lift too. Building them up with engine assembly lube certainly helped. The vvc still felt really tight but all the way through not at a certain point in the shaft rotation like before. Decided that probably feedback from the cams and I should just run it.

Sounded pretty unholy to begin with, vvc works though ! After getting it nice and hot it's now super quiet.

Next job is to get it on the rolling road to remap for the cams, idle is a bit degraded and I can tell there is slightly less torque sub 2k rpm. Over 3500 when the vvc comes in though it pulls hard.

New cams left. Because race car!

Last edited by edk83; 07-10-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #375
InstantCustard

I made good power with a Mike Satur exhaust cam, I got 180bhp with a few other tweaks.
Glad youíve got it sorted now.

Quote:
I love it