Ciaosonpippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #62
30 mm

Subframe: MTB
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: square case

Hi,

Im really excited to see your B16 in there cause I have a first gen B16 with no mods Im looking to put in.

Im wondering if you know the pros and cons of using the minitec chipped ECUs? Would that not negate going to the Dyno and tuning? Im going to buy the B series wiring harness but dont know if I should get the ECU as well for the B16.

Thanks and your project is very inspiring. Cant believe your rolling at 200kph
Old 15-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #63
jsouroufis

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
ECU: Neptune RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 mm View Post
Hi,

Im really excited to see your B16 in there cause I have a first gen B16 with no mods Im looking to put in.

Im wondering if you know the pros and cons of using the minitec chipped ECUs? Would that not negate going to the Dyno and tuning? Im going to buy the B series wiring harness but dont know if I should get the ECU as well for the B16.

Thanks and your project is very inspiring. Cant believe your rolling at 200kph
Hi there!

A chipped ECU is just a preparation of the ECU to allow a user to modify (read and write) the fuel tables, timing, various settings, sensors etc.
When you start to "butcher" your wiring (and/or use another loom for this conversion) you will most likely need a chipped ECU to set up the ecu to not throw a CEL.
To chip a Honda ECU is very easy with something like this LINK

Then you choose your tuning software and the appropriate hardware to "burn" a chip.
Cheapest I believe is CROME. Requires some DIY to get started.
Then there are more elegant solution like Neptune and Hondata. These require their own board in your ECU but connect with USB have a more refined UI etc..

As for Minitec's ECU, I find them extremely overpriced..you can get a "chipped ready" ECU like this

Or for a little more money upgrade to Neptune LINK

In any case, I suggest a chipped ECU right from the start because with the custom intakes, headers etc that our projects require, a tune is always welcome to keep your fuel/timing optimal. A chipped ECU does not mean you will not need a tune, it means that you will be able to tune when you need to.

I started with CROME. I now have Neptune for various reasons.

Happy to help for anything more!

Last edited by jsouroufis; 15-11-2017 at 02:48 PM.
jsouroufis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #64
30 mm

thanks so much for these options and the study.

Old 15-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #65
joltfreak

CC: 1800
ECU: Standard-ish

I was going to keep my stock ECU in my mini build until i got it running. Then saw for the chipped one later on...my line of thinking was that the motor ran with the stock ECU and i want to keep the changes minimal until it is running and working properly before i start changing things.
joltfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #66
30 mm

PM sent.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #67
jsouroufis

Alright, I'm picking those 12's today after work (12x5 ET28 ). They need painting and tires. Not sure if I should go with A539 or A048..I would like the semi but also want the taller profile of the A539..

After sorting the wheels and tracking, I'll change the arches since it looks silly now and most likely it will need drilling new holes and patching the old ones..

Old 01-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #68
jsouroufis

Long time..Back on February, I had another hiccup whilst driving, the hood snapped open at ~180kph..Fortunately only the hood was damaged despite the fact that it wrapped at the water rail on the roof. No windscreen crack etc..

Anyway, at that time I was buying a house and life was moving on so the Mini was left aside, damaged, with future plans unknown..

Gave it a lot of thought and decided to go with a removable extended roundnose..Hard decision for me since I've put so much effort to keep it that way but I already have another (modern) car, a motorbike, a scooter and with the girlfriend living me, her car as well, so went down the extended roundnose for a possible future turbo and easy of maintenance since it's going to be driven just for pure joy..

Anyhow, I'm mostly finished, just need some arches (will also require welding the front arch and patching a few holes) cause I'll put the 12 inch wheels and a paint job most likely on September. I've also changed the front grille with a MK1, thinking to run it without the mustache to see how it looks..

Here is the front end from ABS delivered

Front end removed

Testing the fibreglass front end

Cutting the openings

Fasteners and hood pins

Final step

Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #69
Dopeshow

Good picture from the side. I have been looking at extended front ends but I could never find a picture that gives a true representation, which your does.

So my question is what do you do for arches with an extended front end. I like the sportpack look but would they look silly on an extended front end due to how they meet up with the front bumper?
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #70
jsouroufis

To be honest I have some sportpack fibreglass arches as well but at first attempt they don't line up well, so either try to fit them with unknown results or most likely make some custom ones with the width to cover the wheels as needed and at the same time "hide" the extended wing at the front towards the wheel.

Also note that miglia arches for example don't meet to the front bumper so anestheticaly it's something to keep in mind.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #71
Oz

Subframe: Other
ECU: DTA

Have I messed something in your build ? Why are you going extended front if you'd got it all under a Standard length front before ?

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #72
Dopeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Have I messed something in your build ? Why are you going extended front if you'd got it all under a Standard length front before ?
"so went down the extended roundnose for a possible future turbo and easy of maintenance since it's going to be driven just for pure joy"
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #73
Dopeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouroufis View Post
To be honest I have some sportpack fibreglass arches as well but at first attempt they don't line up well, so either try to fit them with unknown results or most likely make some custom ones with the width to cover the wheels as needed and at the same time "hide" the extended wing at the front towards the wheel.

Also note that miglia arches for example don't meet to the front bumper so anestheticaly it's something to keep in mind.

IAll the extended front end i have seen never have a bumper fitted, which personally i don't like, so I would be interest to see your solution once you find one.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #74
Oz

lol - I did miss something then

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #75
Oz

Quote:
"so went down the extended roundnose for a possible future turbo and easy of maintenance since it's going to be driven just for pure joy"
*cough* *cough*

Standard length turbo build with easy maintenance flip front