I'm using an Orange Band MGF rack
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #212
geachy87

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1.8t
Make: Rover
ECU: Kmaps

Could you swap to the mini rack so you can get the engine further back? You’ll probably need to do this to fit the 4wd anyway, the mini rack sits further back and higher than the metro one, I had to go back to the mini one and cut the rear out my subframe to get my engine far enough back to fit the turbo in, gave me loads more room
geachy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #213
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

It's not very clear to see here but the whole mini steering rack mounting panel has been cut off the toe board (done by Watson's when they first built the car) and I've also cut away part of the toe board where it fits to be able to weld in the box for the MGF steering box

Old 09-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #214
geachy87

I cut my mounting panel off as well and I had cut out the left side of the toe board as well where it mounts.
I just got a second hand mounting panel and used that to line up the bits I had saved that I had cut out and welded it all back in. It’s an option for you, will free up some much needed space
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #215
Oz

I was thinking last night that it may be possible to put some spacers between the rack and the frame to move the rack back a little to get a few more mm clearance. I've got some leeway on the box I've welded in because of the foam seal (not checked the passenger side to see but perhaps a bit of gentle persuasion with a mallet on the toeboard might sort a few mm extra ) There's is only so far back I can go with the engine in the frame because the oil filter is on the back of the block of a B series and there are pipes etc that come straight out the block.

RingMini got around getting some extra space (albeit for a turbo rather than a rad) by actually cutting the whole toeboard out and moving the whole frame further back in the body then making his own replacement toeboard !! I'm not that good to do that !!

Last edited by Oz; 10-01-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #216
geachy87

That’s not so bad then if spacing the rack out will be enough. The problem I had was my diff wanted to occupy the same space as the mounting points on the subframe where the rack bolts, so I had no option but to use the mini rack
Old 11-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #217
Oz

I'll know a lot more when I can get the AWD box in to my frame and see where everything sits
Old 15-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #218
Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Has the fame maker Ollie disappeared ? Seems like a common story , seems opertunist to easy weld them up !!
Then run ,
Olli messaged me over the weekend apologising for not getting back to me sooner. He asked me a few questions about how the frame was mounted which I answered. He said "a little cut out sometimes is necessary".
Old 16-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #219
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

His ability was never in doubt ! It was in recent times, the lack of frame makers going qwiat and not having answers after taking the money !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #220
Oz

I managed to get under the car this morning and start just looking at the engine position relative to the frame and the steering rack. I discovered that there is actually quite a bit of room to the rack once I managed to get a light behind it and swing the engine on the side mounts. The diff housing (still the FWD box at the mo) hits the frame but it looks like some extra clearance could be cut in the frame to make a bit more room. There is also a bit of play to space the steering rack back by a few mm if necessary.

I might be able to make a RH side leg to follow AWDs frame but I am weary at whether I might run into clearance issues with the wheel/tyre on LH lock.

The rear crossmember of the Custom-Minis frame looks like I could be an issue as the CRV gear change mechanism is on the top of the box extending back over the diff housing. After looking at GeordieSPis Allspeed frame mods, I may also have to remake this too.

Last edited by Oz; 02-02-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #221
Oz

I've spent a lot of time pouring over photos from various AWD build threads on here (TonyWells, AWD, GEORDIESP1, Brumski and billing5 off the top of my head) and I am now almost certain that the gear change bracketry on the CRV box won't fit in the Custom-Minis frame - it looks to me that the rear crossmember sits where the whole gear change mechanism is on the box and it also looks like the fact the frame is narrowed will mean the towers will interfere with the gear change rocker. Looking at pics on TonyWells build thread the whole gear change mech sits very far back and right over towards the RH tower. At this point I'm starting to realise that I have a choice to make - continue with the Custom-Minis frame and stay FWD or revert back to my Watsons frame and go AWD. There are some tricks I have picked up over the years that will help reduce down the extended front if I use the Watsons frame (I reckon using the tricks I can reduce the extended front down to about 1.5-2") so maybe that'll be enough

In another post I've said that I've got some AWD conversion mounts on the way.

https://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=38616

I'm going to remove the engine and box from the Custom-Minis frame and once the transmission side mount arrives I'll try to sit the CRV box in the frame and see from there.

Last edited by Oz; 05-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #222
jsouroufis

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
ECU: Neptune RTP

The Watson's frame can take the CRV without modding the rear crossmember?
jsouroufis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #223
Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouroufis View Post
The Watson's frame can take the CRV without modding the rear crossmember?
Yes, according to Tony Wells. His build diary has some interesting info/pics

https://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=8293

CRV Box in Watsons frame

These pics show the gear change mechanism on top of the gear box right over by the RH tower. The Custom-Minis frame is narrower with bigger towers.

This pic shows a mod Tony did to the back of the frame it increase clearance to the gear change mechanism

Compare this to the rear crossmember of the Custom-Minis frame. You can see that the crossmember has been moved forward and the back of the frame being angled to clear the bulkhead allowing the frame to sit further back than the Watsons frame. Unfortunately in doing so this causes the crossmember to now sit where the gear change mechanism sits on the CRV box.

I hope those pics help show why I am fairly certain that the Custom-Minis frame won't work with the CRV box

Last edited by Oz; 05-02-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #224
Oz

GEORDIESP1 has cut of the large sort-of triangular lump on the gear change mechanism (probably a mass to help the "weight of the gear change") which you can see below the brake pipes for the servo/master cylinder which would give extra clearance in that area, see:-

Last edited by Oz; 06-02-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #225
jsouroufis

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1615
ECU: Neptune RTP

Got it! I was gonna ask for pics of the two subframes out of curiosity but you got me covered. Excellent info!

Eager to see how you'll proceed. Good luck!
jsouroufis is offline   Reply With Quote