Old 14-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
twincamtone

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard MEMS3
Default 1971 1.8 K Standard Roundnose

Hi everyone,

I thought now is a good time to start my build thread. I’m hoping to squeeze the 1.8 K Series and PG1 gearbox into Smidge, my 1971 Mini 1000. I want to keep the standard length round nose and keep bulkhead modifications to a minimum, hence using the PG1. I understand with the R65 gearbox linkage needs some mods on the bulkhead.

So, I’ve had Smidge since 2009. The intention was to build a rally car and compete in some club events, nothing serious, just for the fun of it, but with one thing and another I think those days are probably over. Anyway, I got my donor car yesterday, it’s a 2004 53 plate MG ZR 1.8 £275 delivered. The engine sounds really nice and quiet, no knocks, oil light goes out immediately, and no sign of any blue smoke etc. It’s got 46855 on the clock and the last few mot's back this up, so really happy to find something with such low mileage.

Everything works, except I’m having a problem with the alarm and central locking. I put a new battery in the keyfob but doesn't seem to do much, so tried the key in the lock and when I lock the door the alarm sounds, and switches off when I unlock it...Strange. Can’t hear the central locking working at all, so need to sort this before stripping the car as I intend to use the whole electrical system. I need to jack the front wheels off the ground to check the speedo works and free off a brake calliper to be able to move the car around, probably due to not being driven since 2010.

Not sure if you guys think this is a bargain, but I think I should be able to make most if not more than the £275 invested. Anyway, I’m a happy bunny at the moment

Last edited by twincamtone; 21-08-2017 at 02:39 PM.
twincamtone is offline   Reply With Quote