Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 20-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
_666_

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: standard
Default Honda Subframe Tradeoffs

Hi, im part way through trying to make my own subframe for my RHD standard front (non removable) roundnose mini.

im loosing motivation to make the subframe myself and im after some information about the subframe currently offered

ideally i cant change the track of the vehicle, and i want it to look as stock as possible, i have no problem modifying (cut and weld) the intake to clear the bulkhead, and have already chopped out the inner guards

allspeed

am i right in believing that the subframe will fit in the roundnose mini without bulkhead mods? what mods are required to fit one ?

i think i saw someone had chopped the front beaver for the lower "arms" of the subframe and also the middle bar, is there a way around this ?

and that it also uses rose joints on the lower tie rod suspension arms, its not preffered but i may be ok with this..

superfast minis (Minitec)
these kits require the use of coil over suspension, also require changing the track of the mini and also require moving the floor pan towards the rear of the car for rack clearance on RHD Minis
so its not really suitable..

is there any others out there ?
_666_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
monkey

Subframe: Allspeed
ECU: A box of chips

With an allspeed frame you will have the modify the inlet or add a bulkhead box. It will fit within a standard roundnose with work to the exhaust manifold and radiator. The alternator will have to move to the back/wing area.
Old 20-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
_666_

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
With an allspeed frame you will have the modify the inlet or add a bulkhead box. It will fit within a standard roundnose with work to the exhaust manifold and radiator. The alternator will have to move to the back/wing area.

So is the front bar in the photos meant for a clubman? Or do I need to chop the front beaver panel to make it fit?
Iíll be happy to put the alternator behind the engine, do I need to chop out the bulkhead strengthener that sits in front of the wiper motor ?
Old 20-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
jsouroufis

CC: 1615
ECU: Neptune RTP

In the above pictures, I had initially bought the cross bar for the roundnose but I couldn't fit the exhaust manifold I wanted so I cut it and extended it. I also put the number plate on it and it doesn't show at all.

The other solution is as Monkey said, to have a custom one very close to the engine block.

As for the alternator, I managed to fit the Honda one to the front with a homemade bracket and a little trimming to the grille.

Same with the radiator, I've been through 3 different designs, so a custom one is essential unless you find something that fits from a different car. Take notice though, depending on your climate, air flow, volume, placement etc it can be a nightmare to fit a decent one that actually works..

The lower "arms" of the subframe will be visible so you either paint them as your car to hide them, modify the front valance maybe or leave it like I did..it makes people wonder!
jsouroufis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
_666_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouroufis View Post
In the above pictures, I had initially bought the cross bar for the roundnose but I couldn't fit the exhaust manifold I wanted so I cut it and extended it. I also put the number plate on it and it doesn't show at all.

The other solution is as Monkey said, to have a custom one very close to the engine block.

As for the alternator, I managed to fit the Honda one to the front with a homemade bracket and a little trimming to the grille.

Same with the radiator, I've been through 3 different designs, so a custom one is essential unless you find something that fits from a different car. Take notice though, depending on your climate, air flow, volume, placement etc it can be a nightmare to fit a decent one that actually works..

The lower "arms" of the subframe will be visible so you either paint them as your car to hide them, modify the front valance maybe or leave it like I did..it makes people wonder!

So with the allspeed frame itís designed to need to cut the front Valance ?
Old 20-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
tag141

In my own little corner of the world that manifold 4-1 is very big. Although I think jsouroufis Mini is a little cracker. It looks like Keitht cut and shut the front bar. (http://www.16vminiclub.com/showpost....&postcount=348) but Dutchy has a 4-2-1 and I reckon it would be a tad narrower (http://www.16vminiclub.com/showpost....88&postcount=6). If I remember correctly, Kam cut his manifiold as close to the block as possible.
Old 20-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
jsouroufis

True, mine is "big" for a Mini but honestly, I couldn't fit anything decent for my needs with the roundnose cross bar.
Keitht also has a modified-extended bar, plus he will be putting a clubman.
Dutchy has a custom subframe and custom manifold so not sure about the clearance compared to the Allspeed.
Kam also has a custom one, close to the block, 4-2-1 so it can go through the space between the cross bar and the engine.(like Dutchy's)
I can't find Kam's pictures but I remember that his subframe "arms" are also visible, painted nonetheless and they don't look bad at all! Maybe he can share a pic?
Old 20-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
_666_

Yeah ok.. dutchys mini is what Iíve been basing mine off of so far, Iím just not finding the time to work on my frame so Iím looking to purchase one
Old 20-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
pompeyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _666_ View Post
Hi, im part way through trying to make my own subframe for my RHD standard front (non removable) roundnose mini.

im loosing motivation to make the subframe myself and im after some information about the subframe currently offered

ideally i cant change the track of the vehicle, and i want it to look as stock as possible, i have no problem modifying (cut and weld) the intake to clear the bulkhead, and have already chopped out the inner guards

allspeed

am i right in believing that the subframe will fit in the roundnose mini without bulkhead mods? what mods are required to fit one ?

i think i saw someone had chopped the front beaver for the lower "arms" of the subframe and also the middle bar, is there a way around this ?

and that it also uses rose joints on the lower tie rod suspension arms, its not preffered but i may be ok with this..

superfast minis (Minitec)
these kits require the use of coil over suspension, also require changing the track of the mini and also require moving the floor pan towards the rear of the car for rack clearance on RHD Minis
so its not really suitable..

is there any others out there ?
How much road clearance are you going to have with that 4 to 1 header when its down on the wheels, I had one and the clearance was rubbish, so I changed it for a 4-2-1 set up and gained nearly 2" road clearance.
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
_666_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyal View Post
How much road clearance are you going to have with that 4 to 1 header when its down on the wheels, I had one and the clearance was rubbish, so I changed it for a 4-2-1 set up and gained nearly 2" road clearance.

There is no room for the standard headers, custom is the only way
Old 20-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
jsouroufis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyal View Post
I've been driving with this exhaust for about 13.000 km, never had an issue so far with the clearance of this header. It doesn't protrude that much more than the oil pan.

That said, it also depends on how low you are sitting and of course a 4-2-1 will give you a better clearance.

All in all, never bothered because it never was an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _666_ View Post
Yeah ok.. dutchys mini is what I’ve been basing mine off of so far, I’m just not finding the time to work on my frame so I’m looking to purchase one
If you are worried about the looks with an Allspeed frame then:

-the lower "arms" of the frame on a roundnose will be visible. You can:
a) paint them
b) modify the front valance(never seen that done before but should be doable)
c) some kind of front splitter maybe

-the cross bar:
a) extended/clubman bar and number plate on it to cover it
b) custom 4-2-1 exhaust maniflod

Last edited by jsouroufis; 20-11-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 20-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

It should only be an issue if you straddle something raised. If you go over a speed bump etc the chances are that as it's not too far off the circumference of the wheel at that height the car will start driving up the bump before contact is made

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
_666_

Thanks for the info, sounds like the all speed frame is worth a shot.. Iíll just need get the rose joints past my engineer
Old 20-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #14
Harley

I think you need to perservere with finishing your own subframe, you already have the engine in- buying another one will get your engine in and sort your suspension, but you still have to make everything else from scratch.
The subframe is the easy part, if you're losing motivation at this stage the rest wont exactly be a music montage to the end i can tell you!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I think you need to perservere with finishing your own subframe, you already have the engine in- buying another one will get your engine in and sort your suspension, but you still have to make everything else from scratch.
The subframe is the easy part, if you're losing motivation at this stage the rest wont exactly be a music montage to the end i can tell you!
i saw this thred the other night, i was not drunk and was thinking the same as you said harly, the orange is a bit loud to blend in and lots do make the easy bit> (the front bar) to fit in, in what ever you reqwire,
or is the problem the fact your frame dont come with a >so called pro paper work? i understand that! even if the so called pro with paper work dose use harsh rose joints lol, your engineer is correct to doubt them!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote