16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 06-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
lebarron

Default D16 Automatic Build

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but I am about embark on a build, and would love to have a bit of advice from you guys. I have read through many threads on this forum over the last month, which have been very useful, but would just like a few pointers if possible.

So, first off I am an amputee and can only drive automatics. So I am thinking of using a D16z6 vtec engine from a 2000 Honda civic (123bhp).

After reading up quite a lot, I think I am going to go for the Allspeed subframe. From what i have read the D16 should use the same mounts as the B16, but I will need to modify the gearbox mount. is this correct? Any guidance on what alterations I need to make to the frame for the auto box to fit. Do I have to relocate the steering rack on a RHD mini?

I want to fit it all in under the standard round nose without extending or a flip front. Thoughts...?

With regard to the wiring loom, I was going to buy the Minitec wiring harness. Does anyone know if this will plug straight into the existing mini loom for the dash/ignition etc? Is the loom different for the automatics?

Sorry for all of the questions, I know some of this is covered in other threads to a degree, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
lebarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=24967

This is the best thread to view re auto D16 that I know of. Unfortunately the pics are all Photobucket hosted but if you quote the post and add the ~original hack link here and click "preview post" then you should be able to see the pics

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
MikeR33

CC: 3996
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: DTA \ PCS
Send a message via MSN to MikeR33

Just beware that the auto transmission may be quite a substantial amount wider that the manual gearbox, I had to hunt all over the place to find a compact enough auto transmission for the Vauxhall engine that would just fit ok.

Also you may need a TCU for the transmission depending on if it's electronic, not sure if that was built into the Honda ECU's or a separate module.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
lebarron

Thanks for the replies. I had seen this link, but was a bit frustrating that I couldn't see the photos. That hack worked spot on.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
joakwin

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.6
ECU: Bone stock

i haven't seen a d16 automatic done in a regular front clip mini, don't mean it cant be done, but I have seen a few in clubman front clip mini's, I'm swapping my mini from a d16 manual box to d16 automatic gearbox because I have hip problems

my homebuilt sub-frame for the manual didn't fit the automatic gearbox, I had to move my engine 2 inches outward, and my steering rack had been shaved down a hair for the manual set up,
but to get the engine as close to the firewall as it was with the manual gearbox,
I would have had to move the steering rack into the shell, and also custom upper arm
because the gearbox is close to the tower in the area where the upper control arm is

I know Wilson got an allspeed sub-frame and then had to mod it to fit the automatic box

I am building a home built frame out of 1.25 120wall (3mm) DOM tube and I'm re-using the axles I had with my manual build

I know Wilson had the Honda automatic shifter cable shorten but I have lifted my shifter up into the shell around 10inches or so and back around 6-8 inches or so, I'm 6ft tall and my seat is real far back
I plan to build a center console myself and a new dash for my car again
I plan on keeping all of the wiring Honda, and even using the Honda steering column with the mini rack
my donor car is a 1995 Honda del sol, with 20k miles on the replacement engine
I drove the car for like 2 months or so as a daily driver just to make sure it didn't have any problems

I made the lower bar so low on the sub-frame, to give extra room in that area because I want to add ac to my car and the pump will go in that area

alt mounted by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

shifter in car by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

Last edited by joakwin; 08-11-2017 at 12:34 AM.
joakwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
joakwin

oh yeah almost forgot, on the right side, the gearbox is wider and I have to go to a more offset wheel, I have 13x6's right now and when I turn the wheel it hits the gearbox housing before turning all the way
I plan to go to a 13x7 -7et wheel

if you have any questions along the way, let me know and I will help you out as much as I can, I can only build my car so fast with my hip problems,

I think all the hard work will pay off being able to drive my mini again and I think I will have the same smile for my mini ones more
Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Oz

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=27751

There's also a thread here that may help but it's also suffering the PB curse !

Old 13-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
lebarron

Thanks for the pics. I have had a bit of a change of heart. I've just bought a CRX with a B16a2 and auto box. Just about to order an allspeed subframe
Old 13-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Oz

The second link I posted was for a B16 Auto. I don't know much about the auto boxes for the D and B series, it's possible they may be the same box with just different bell housings or they may be entirely different. It may be if they are the same or very similar then the same mods will need doing to the frame to clear it irrespective of motor.

Old 14-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
lebarron

Just ordered the allspeed frame and lower arms/tie bars Should be here just before Christmas, ready for me to start fettling it to fit the auto box over Christmas. I'll start a build diary soon and keep you posted.
Old 14-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
Oz

Old 30-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
joakwin

https://www.minimania.com/msgThread/...o_VTEC_frames_

some guy in here named Yoshifab did a D series automatic in a round nose, made his own intake manifold
https://www.facebook.com/yoshifab2008/

I'm trying to find more info about his build
Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #13
meetthespeakers

CC: D16
ECU: Chipped

Just going from memory cause I also wanted to do this many times.

As far as the allspeed frame the left top tube you will have to cut, move over, and remake to accept the left trans mount. Fitting it into a round nose is going to be extremely tight. LHD would probably be the better bet just so you can pull the motor back to get some clearance for a normalish radiator/header. Not sure Minitec/Rywire does a automatic harness. Where are you located?
meetthespeakers is offline   Reply With Quote